Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Selecting and purchasing a learning management system has become a major financial and strategic decision for colleges and universities. As the commercial LMS vendor sector shrinks due to company consolidation, schools are considering open source systems as a viable option for their learning management needs. Please send us your RFPs, vendor analysis or other LMS selection process resources to share with the community.
Articles and Reports
- The Learning Management System Evolution, ECAR May 2014. This Spotlight focuses on data from the 2013 Core Data Service (CDS) to better understand how higher education institutions approach learning management systems (LMSs).
- Reclaiming Innovation, EDUCAUSE Review, May/June 2014. Today, innovation is increasingly conflated with hype, disruption for disruption’s sake, and outsourcing laced with a dose of austerity-driven downsizing. The authors discuss how the use of the LMS in higher education has stiffled innovation.
- Selecting a Learning Management System: Advice from an Academic Perspective, EDUCAUSE Review Online, April 2014. This article stresses the importance of involving all stakeholders in the selection process, offers a step-by-step guide to LMS selection, and enables readers to develop a customized list of LMS features that align with their institution's instructional and learning priorities.
- Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products, September 2012. This publication is a comprehensive 141 page list of LMS and E-Learning vendors.
- A Post-LMS World, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2012.
- Moving to Moodle: Reflections Two Years Later, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2008.
- Open Source Software in Education, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Building the Connected Learning Platform-One Brick at a Time, EDUCAUSE Live! December 2013.
- Learning Management Technologies: Enterprise System or Consumer Good? Video Recording from the 2009 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
- Selecting and Implementing a Course Management System for Your Campus, EDUCAUSE Live! August 5, 2009.
- How Four Universities are Coping with CMS Market Consolidation, Podcast from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
Commercial CMS/LMS Options
- Blackboard http://www.blackboard.com/
- Blackboard folksonomy term
- Desire to Learn http://www.desire2learn.com/
- desire2learn folksonomy term
- eCollege http://www.ecollege.com/index.learn
Open Source Options
- ATutor http://www.atutor.ca/
- Claroline http://www.claroline.net/
- Dokeos http://www.dokeos.com/
- Instructure http://www.instructure.com/
- Moodle http://moodle.org/
- Moodle folksonomy term
- Sakai http://sakaiproject.org/portal
- Sakai folksonomy term
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- What's in Your Teaching and Learning Ecosystem?
February 3, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative Annual Meeting
Like many other institutions, Harvard is moving away from a monolithic learning management system to an ecosystem of integrated tools, with the promise of more flexibility, quicker integration of…
- The Annual ECAR Student and IT Study
November 12, 2013
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - The Annual ECAR Student and IT Study
The EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research (ECAR) conducts an annual study about undergraduates' technology experiences and expectations in higher education. The results of this study pro…
- Using Flickr for Media-Rich Classes
October 3, 2012
Key Takeaways When teaching and learning revolve around images, the way that a learning management system buries images as a discussion develops hinders the image flow so cruci…
- ECAR Study of Undergraduate Students and Information Technology, 2012
September 17, 2012
Key Findings See the 2012 report for a full list key messages, findings, and supporting data. Blended-learning environments are the norm; students say that these environments best suppor…
- Increasing Student Success: Evaluating the Effectiveness of U-Pace Instruction at UWM
September 6, 2012
Two faculty at the University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee developed the technology-enabled instructional approach known as U-Pace , which combines self-paced, mastery-based learning with in…
- Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products
September 3, 2012
This publication is a comprehensive 141 page list of LMS and E-Learning vendors. Author, Don McIntosh, includes a brief description of each product with a link to their web site. …
- Valencia College: LifeMap and Atlas--Planning For Success
September 5, 2012
This case study from the EDUCAUSE book Game Changers describes two projects at Valencia College that focus on student progression and completion and learning outcomes. Li…
- Two Case Studies of Learner Analytics in the University System of Maryland
August 13, 2012
Ronald G. Forsythe Jr. is Vice President of IT at the University of Maryland Eastern Shore; Fabio J. Chacon is Director of Academic Computing and Distance Education at Bowie State …
- Analytics in Progress: Technology Use, Student Characteristics, and Student Achievement
August 13, 2012
John Whitmer is Associate Director of the LMSS Project at the CSU Chancellor's Office, Kathy Fernandes is Director of the LMSS Project at the CSU Chancellor's O…
- On "Trak": First Steps in Learning Analytics
July 18, 2012
Susan Tull is a Flexible Learning Advisor at the University of Canterbury. Key Takeaways A current focus at the University of Canterbury is to develop a cultu…