Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Selecting and purchasing a learning management system has become a major financial and strategic decision for colleges and universities. As the commercial LMS vendor sector shrinks due to company consolidation, schools are considering open source systems as a viable option for their learning management needs. Please send us your RFPs, vendor analysis or other LMS selection process resources to share with the community.
Articles and Reports
- Reclaiming Innovation, EDUCAUSE Review, May/June 2014. Today, innovation is increasingly conflated with hype, disruption for disruption’s sake, and outsourcing laced with a dose of austerity-driven downsizing. The authors discuss how the use of the LMS in higher education has stiffled innovation.
- Selecting a Learning Management System: Advice from an Academic Perspective, EDUCAUSE Review Online, April 2014. This article stresses the importance of involving all stakeholders in the selection process, offers a step-by-step guide to LMS selection, and enables readers to develop a customized list of LMS features that align with their institution's instructional and learning priorities.
- Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products, September 2012. This publication is a comprehensive 141 page list of LMS and E-Learning vendors.
- A Post-LMS World, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2012.
- Moving to Moodle: Reflections Two Years Later, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2008.
- Open Source Software in Education, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Building the Connected Learning Platform-One Brick at a Time, EDUCAUSE Live! December 2013.
- Learning Management Technologies: Enterprise System or Consumer Good? Video Recording from the 2009 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
- Selecting and Implementing a Course Management System for Your Campus, EDUCAUSE Live! August 5, 2009.
- How Four Universities are Coping with CMS Market Consolidation, Podcast from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
Commercial CMS/LMS Options
- Blackboard http://www.blackboard.com/
- Blackboard folksonomy term
- Desire to Learn http://www.desire2learn.com/
- desire2learn folksonomy term
- eCollege http://www.ecollege.com/index.learn
Open Source Options
- ATutor http://www.atutor.ca/
- Claroline http://www.claroline.net/
- Dokeos http://www.dokeos.com/
- Instructure http://www.instructure.com/
- Moodle http://moodle.org/
- Moodle folksonomy term
- Sakai http://sakaiproject.org/portal
- Sakai folksonomy term
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- 7 Things You Should Know About Navigating the New Learning Ecosystem
May 2, 2012
The LMS was once the undisputed center of the digital learning ecosystem . But on many campuses, the situation has changed such that the campus online learning environment might be better v…
- The Future of Mobile Learning
May 1, 2012
This bulletin provides an overview of the current state of mobile learning in higher education , speculates on future directions , and suggests questions that educators might ask of thems…
- Rethinking Higher Education Technology
May 9, 2012
Stephen Laster is Chief Information Officer, Harvard Business School. He is Editor of the EDUCAUSE Review Viewpoints department for 2012. These are interesting times for hig…
- Case Study 14: Valencia College: LifeMap and Atlasâ€”Planning for Success
May 2, 2012
A case study from Game Changers Joyce C. Romano and Bill White Background Valencia College is a multicampus, urban community college in Orlando, Florida, that served over 70,000 …
- Chapter 15: The Open Learning Initiative: Enacting Instruction Online
May 2, 2012
A chapter from Game Changers Ross Strader and Candace Thille This chapter is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License New technologies are oft…
- Chapter 13: Providing Quality Higher Education for Adults
May 2, 2012
A chapter from Game Changers Susan C. Aldridge University of Maryland University College (UMUC) first opened its classrooms in 1947 as a special college at the University of Marylan…
- Chapter 4: From Metrics to Analytics, Reporting to Action: Analyticsâ€™ Role in Changing the Learning Environment
May 2, 2012
A chapter from Game Changers Linda Baer and John Campbell This chapter is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License What will the game-changing…
- IT-Based Transformation in Higher Education: Possibilities and Prospects
March 19, 2012
If information technologies are to transform higher education, we must exploit opportunities and address problems. At the same time, transformed higher education cannot neglect important dimensi…
- Connecting Two Worlds: Collaboration between Higher Education and Corporate Learning
March 21, 2012
Elliott Masie ( email@example.com ; http://www.masie.com ) is the chair of The Learning CONSORTIUM, a 242-member collaborative of global corporations focused on workplace learning and tech…
- Student Perceptions of Course Management System Tools: Implications for Evaluation and Adoption of Online Tools in Higher Education
February 28, 2012
Given an expectation of digital literacy among students, why should we worry about student perceptions of CMS tools ? For the same reason exemplary instructors stay aware of their students’ …