Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Selecting and purchasing a learning management system has become a major financial and strategic decision for colleges and universities. As the commercial LMS vendor sector shrinks due to company consolidation, schools are considering open source systems as a viable option for their learning management needs. Please send us your RFPs, vendor analysis or other LMS selection process resources to share with the community.
Articles and Reports
- Vendors of Learning Management and E-learning Products, September 2012. This publication is a comprehensive 141 page list of LMS and E-Learning vendors.
- A Post-LMS World, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2012.
- Moving to Moodle: Reflections Two Years Later, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2008.
- Open Source Software in Education, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Learning Management Technologies: Enterprise System or Consumer Good? Video Recording from the 2009 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
- Selecting and Implementing a Course Management System for Your Campus, EDUCAUSE Live! August 5, 2009.
- How Four Universities are Coping with CMS Market Consolidation, Podcast from the 2006 EDUCAUSE Annual Conference.
Commercial CMS/LMS Options
- Blackboard http://www.blackboard.com/
- Blackboard folksonomy term
- Desire to Learn http://www.desire2learn.com/
- desire2learn folksonomy term
- eCollege http://www.ecollege.com/index.learn
Open Source Options
- ATutor http://www.atutor.ca/
- Claroline http://www.claroline.net/
- Dokeos http://www.dokeos.com/
- Instructure http://www.instructure.com/
- Moodle http://moodle.org/
- Moodle folksonomy term
- Sakai http://sakaiproject.org/portal
- Sakai folksonomy term
Updated September 2012
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- The ECAR Study of Undergraduate Students and Information Technology, 2010—Key Findings
October 22, 2010
This document presents the key findings from The ECAR Study of Undergraduate Students and Information Technology, 2010. Since 2004, the annual ECAR study of undergraduate students and informa…
- ECAR Study of Undergraduate Students and Information Technology, 2010
October 22, 2010
Abstract Since 2004, the annual ECAR study of undergraduate students and information technology has sought to shed light on how information technology affects the college experience. We ask …
- New ELI 7 Things... Explores LMS Evaluation
May 12, 2011
At many institutions, the current LMS is five or more years old.In that time, the teaching and learning context might have changed considerably, and other products, including open-source op…
- Strategic Directives for Learning Management System Planning
September 21, 2010
This ECAR research bulletin reviews theoretical and practical publications that explore individual components of learning management system (LMS) behavior and isolates the primary claims, functi…
- A Comparison of Student and Faculty Academic Technology Use Across Disciplines
September 22, 2010
Key Takeaways Students and faculty use course management systems much more frequently than any other technology. Professional students use classroom response devices ("clickers&quo…
- Death to the Digital Dropbox: Rethinking Student Privacy and Public Performance
September 22, 2010
Key Takeaways Requiring students to submit work privately using a digital dropbox (or even worse, e-mail) can be a destructive pedagogical practice. Students benefit from public perform…
- Educational Innovation: Can a New LMS Help Set the Stage?
March 18, 2013
A session at the Midwest Regional Conference
Universities are under growing pressure to innovate, with the dual objectives of improving quality and reducing costs. Instructional technology can play a role in satisfying both objectives. But ex…
- MOOCs on Campus: Experiences from the Front Lines
February 5, 2013
A session at the EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative Annual Meeting
Duke University and the University of Pennsylvania are early adopters of the Coursera MOOC platform. Spanning humanities, social sciences, engineering, mathematics, science, and medicine, these cou…
- Moving Beyond the Org Chart: Library and IT Collaboration for Course Design and Support
July 13, 2010
This ECAR research bulletin describes a Dartmouth College pilot project to provide faculty with a gateway to course design and delivery services. The Team Response for Instructional Planning (TR…
- 7 Things You Should Know About LMS Alternatives
July 6, 2010
A traditional learning management system (LMS) provides a set of tools to manage learning resources, administrative functions, assessments, and grading. Alternatives to conventional LMSs include…