Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Articles and Papers
- Considering Classroom Seating for Students and Faculty in the 21st Century, ELI Seeking Evidence of Impact (SEI) Case Study, March 2014.
- 7 Things You Should Know About Makerspaces, ELI 7 Things You Should Know, May 2013
- Creating Shared Learning Spaces: The North Quad Experience, EDUCAUSE Review Online, April 2013
- 7 Things You Should Know About Collaborative Learning Spaces, ELI 7 Things You Should Know, January 2013,
- Role-Differentiated Responses to Active Learning Classrooms: The University of Minnesota, ELI Seeking Evidence of Impact (SEI) Case Study, November 2012.
- Pedagogy and Space: Empirical Research on New Learning Environments, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, December 2011.
- From Learning Commons to Learning Outcomes: Assessing Collaborative Services and Spaces, ECAR Bulletin, September 2011.
- 7 Things You Should Know About the Modern Learning Commons, ELI 7 Things You Should Know, April 2011.
- Classroom.NEXT: Engaging Faculty and Students in Learning Space Design, ELI Brief, July 2011.
- Making the Case for Space: Three Years of Empirical Research on Learning Environments, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, 2010.
- Learning Space Design with an Inclusive Planning Process Promotes User Engagement, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, 2009.
Planning Sites, Presentations and Seminars
- The Learning Space Rating System, EDUCAUSE Live! January 2014.
- Assessing Teaching and Learning in Technology-Infused TILE Classrooms at The University of Iowa, ELI Annual Meeting, February 2012.
- Learning Space Tool Kit, This Toolkit, from NCSU Libraries, will be freely available as a resource on the web and will be developed using a collaborative process that shares thinking early and often from the broader community.
- Using Technology to Engage Students, ELI Annual Conference, February 2011.
- Building Best Practices for Data-Driven Assessment of Technology-Enabled Learning Spaces, ELI Annual Meeting, January 2010.
- Stanford University's Wallenberg Hall: Looking Back, Looking Forward, ELI Annual Meeting, January 2010.
- Brick-and-Mortar Libraries in the 21st-Century: An Oxymoron?, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, November 2009.
- Academic Library Building Design: Resources for Planning, ACRL and LLAMA. This Guide will provide information for thinking about the design of new and renovated library space, and point toward additional resources that can support, inform and enhance the academic library design process.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Space
- Creating Shared Learning Spaces: The North Quad Experience
May 6, 2013
Key Takeaways The University of Michigan's North Quadrangle Residential and Academic Complex was designed to foster experiential learning opportunities and encourage gro…
- Seminar 13A - Computing Spaces: Exploring Physical and Virtual Environments PLEASE NOTE: Separate registration and fee is required to attend this seminar.
October 18, 2011
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2011 Annual Conference
In this seminar, we will discuss the current needs of faculty and students regarding campus computing spaces and discuss how we can plan for the future of these spaces. We will take into considerat…
- Classroom & Technology Design & Construction Minimum Requirements
May 26, 2011
Pennsylvania State University's Classroom & Technology Design & Construction requirements. Includes an archive from 2005 to present. …
- What Happened to the Computer Lab?
February 3, 2010
Over 80 percent of respondents to the annual ECAR study of undergraduate students report owning laptops, yet usage of expensive public computer labs remains high. Although computer labs might sti…
- Stanford University's Wallenberg Hall: Looking Back, Looking Forward
January 20, 2010
A session at the ELI Annual Meeting 2010
In the fall of 2002, Stanford University opened Wallenberg Hall, the new home for the Stanford Center for Innovations in Learning (SCIL). This building has provided innovative, technology-enhanced,…
- Building, Renovating, and Maintaining Technology-Enabled Classrooms
November 5, 2009
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2009 Annual Conference
How does an educational institution prioritize where to provide educational technology when there are over 320 classrooms located in some 50 buildings? When should that technology be refreshed? Whe…
- What to Do While Your Building or Renovation Project Is On Hold
June 29, 2009
Many campuses will be postponing or curtailing new building projects and renovations due to the current economic climate, but the pressing need for newly configured, technology-enabled spaces has…
- ASU Decision Theater
March 26, 2009
By Angelo Fernando and Ricardo Leon The Decision Theater makes the classroom and learning experience portable by providing an immersive, collaborative, and interactive decision lab. …
- Uses of Labs and Learning Spaces
March 26, 2009
By Clare van den Blink Traditional computing labs need to transform into flexible, technology-enhanced learning spaces. Initial research into space use and future needs can guide de…
- Collaborating with Users to Design Learning Spaces: Playing Nicely in the Sandbox
January 21, 2009
A session at the ELI Annual Meeting 2009
In 2007, we collaboratively transformed an abandoned swimming pool into a Â“sandbox classroom,Â” where faculty and students are encouraged to approach teaching and learning with the curious s…