Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
5 Tips for Active Learning Space Design - Chris Kobza is managing director for learning spaces at the University of Oklahoma.
Articles and Papers
- Emerging Technologies to Enhance Teaching and Enable Active Learning, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 2015.
- The Evolving Classroom: Creating Experiential Learning Spaces, EDUCAUSE Review Online, October 2014.
- Considering Classroom Seating for Students and Faculty in the 21st Century, ELI Seeking Evidence of Impact (SEI) Case Study, March 2014.
- 7 Things You Should Know About Makerspaces, ELI 7 Things You Should Know, May 2013
- Creating Shared Learning Spaces: The North Quad Experience, EDUCAUSE Review Online, April 2013
- 7 Things You Should Know About Collaborative Learning Spaces, ELI 7 Things You Should Know, January 2013,
- Role-Differentiated Responses to Active Learning Classrooms: The University of Minnesota, ELI Seeking Evidence of Impact (SEI) Case Study, November 2012.
- Pedagogy and Space: Empirical Research on New Learning Environments, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, December 2011.
- From Learning Commons to Learning Outcomes: Assessing Collaborative Services and Spaces, ECAR Bulletin, September 2011.
- 7 Things You Should Know About the Modern Learning Commons, ELI 7 Things You Should Know, April 2011.
- Classroom.NEXT: Engaging Faculty and Students in Learning Space Design, ELI Brief, July 2011.
- Making the Case for Space: Three Years of Empirical Research on Learning Environments, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, 2010.
- Learning Space Design with an Inclusive Planning Process Promotes User Engagement, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, 2009.
Planning Sites, Presentations and Seminars
- The Learning Space Rating System, EDUCAUSE Live! January 2014.
- Assessing Teaching and Learning in Technology-Infused TILE Classrooms at The University of Iowa, ELI Annual Meeting, February 2012.
- Learning Space Tool Kit, This Toolkit, from NCSU Libraries, will be freely available as a resource on the web and will be developed using a collaborative process that shares thinking early and often from the broader community.
- Using Technology to Engage Students, ELI Annual Conference, February 2011.
- Building Best Practices for Data-Driven Assessment of Technology-Enabled Learning Spaces, ELI Annual Meeting, January 2010.
- Stanford University's Wallenberg Hall: Looking Back, Looking Forward, ELI Annual Meeting, January 2010.
- Brick-and-Mortar Libraries in the 21st-Century: An Oxymoron?, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, November 2009.
- Academic Library Building Design: Resources for Planning, ACRL and LLAMA. This Guide will provide information for thinking about the design of new and renovated library space, and point toward additional resources that can support, inform and enhance the academic library design process.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Space
- Role-Differentiated Responses to Active Learning Classrooms: The University of Minnesota
November 1, 2012
Technology-enhanced learning spaces called Active Learning Classrooms (ALCs ) have become an important component of the teaching and learning paradigm at the University of Minnesota. Since Aug…
- Technology and Learning Spaces - Rhodes College
January 1, 2006
Rhodes college hosted a workshop on Technology and Learning Spaces, February 17 - 19, 2006. The workship was organized in part by the Council of Independent Colleges and NITLE. …
- ELI Innovations & Implementationsâ€”The Computing Center at Cox Hall, Emory University
January 1, 2006
In 2001, Emory University opened a student computing center designed to foster digital literacy and collaboration among students and faculty. The Cox Hall Computing Center reenvisions the tradition…
- Collaboratively Evaluating and Deploying Smart Technology in Classrooms
January 1, 2004
Good Ideas Collaboratively Evaluating and Deploying Smart Technology in Classrooms Involving end users in classroom technology design allows pedagogy to drive technology By Bart Strong…
- Learning Spaces Throughout Campus
January 1, 2003
Technology-enabled learning spaces are more than electronic classrooms; they include information commons, teaching centers, labs, and even coffee bars and virtual spaces. Each type of space address…
- Facilities for Collaboration
January 1, 2002
Many universities and colleges are developing new or renovated facilities that combine services delivered by information technologists, librarians, instructional technologists, and others. A Web si…
- Stanford University's Wallenberg Hall: Looking Back, Looking Forward
January 20, 2010
A session at the ELI Annual Meeting 2010
In the fall of 2002, Stanford University opened Wallenberg Hall, the new home for the Stanford Center for Innovations in Learning (SCIL). This building has provided innovative, technology-enhanced,…
- Strategies for Designing and Constructing Collaborative Spaces at the McIntire School of Commerce
September 24, 2009
A session at the ELI 2009 Online Fall Focus Session
The McIntire School of Commerce at the University of Virginia recently completed a $70.5 million renovation and construction project. The 156,000-square-foot project included classrooms, group st…
- Collaborating with Users to Design Learning Spaces: Playing Nicely in the Sandbox
January 21, 2009
A session at the ELI Annual Meeting 2009
In 2007, we collaboratively transformed an abandoned swimming pool into a Â“sandbox classroom,Â” where faculty and students are encouraged to approach teaching and learning with the curious s…
- Learning Studios: Engaging Millennial Students in a New Classroom Environment (Research-based)
January 29, 2008
A session at the ELI Annual Meeting 2008
Today's millennial Hispanics are part of a generational wave of young students likely to be more disengaged in traditional learning environments. Discover how a new generation of learning clas…