Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Teaching and Learning [x]
- Learning Space [x]
- Learning Environments (10)
- Instructional Design (6)
- Assessment and Evaluation (4)
- Collaborative Learning (4)
- Student Engagement and Interaction (4)
- Active Learning (3)
- Faculty Development (3)
- Blended Learning (2)
- Instructional Technologies (2)
- Learners (2)
- Learning Analytics (2)
- Organizational Issues, Teaching and Learning (2)
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (5)
- Infrastructure and Emerging Technologies (5)
- Information Literacy (1)
5 Tips for Active Learning Space Design - Chris Kobza is managing director for learning spaces at the University of Oklahoma.
Articles and Papers
- Emerging Technologies to Enhance Teaching and Enable Active Learning, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 2015.
- The Evolving Classroom: Creating Experiential Learning Spaces, EDUCAUSE Review Online, October 2014.
- Considering Classroom Seating for Students and Faculty in the 21st Century, ELI Seeking Evidence of Impact (SEI) Case Study, March 2014.
- 7 Things You Should Know About Makerspaces, ELI 7 Things You Should Know, May 2013
- Creating Shared Learning Spaces: The North Quad Experience, EDUCAUSE Review Online, April 2013
- 7 Things You Should Know About Collaborative Learning Spaces, ELI 7 Things You Should Know, January 2013,
- Role-Differentiated Responses to Active Learning Classrooms: The University of Minnesota, ELI Seeking Evidence of Impact (SEI) Case Study, November 2012.
- Pedagogy and Space: Empirical Research on New Learning Environments, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, December 2011.
- From Learning Commons to Learning Outcomes: Assessing Collaborative Services and Spaces, ECAR Bulletin, September 2011.
- 7 Things You Should Know About the Modern Learning Commons, ELI 7 Things You Should Know, April 2011.
- Classroom.NEXT: Engaging Faculty and Students in Learning Space Design, ELI Brief, July 2011.
- Making the Case for Space: Three Years of Empirical Research on Learning Environments, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, 2010.
- Learning Space Design with an Inclusive Planning Process Promotes User Engagement, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, 2009.
Planning Sites, Presentations and Seminars
- The Learning Space Rating System, EDUCAUSE Live! January 2014.
- Assessing Teaching and Learning in Technology-Infused TILE Classrooms at The University of Iowa, ELI Annual Meeting, February 2012.
- Learning Space Tool Kit, This Toolkit, from NCSU Libraries, will be freely available as a resource on the web and will be developed using a collaborative process that shares thinking early and often from the broader community.
- Using Technology to Engage Students, ELI Annual Conference, February 2011.
- Building Best Practices for Data-Driven Assessment of Technology-Enabled Learning Spaces, ELI Annual Meeting, January 2010.
- Stanford University's Wallenberg Hall: Looking Back, Looking Forward, ELI Annual Meeting, January 2010.
- Brick-and-Mortar Libraries in the 21st-Century: An Oxymoron?, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, November 2009.
- Academic Library Building Design: Resources for Planning, ACRL and LLAMA. This Guide will provide information for thinking about the design of new and renovated library space, and point toward additional resources that can support, inform and enhance the academic library design process.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Space
- 7 Things You Should Know About the Learning Space Rating System
October 5, 2015
The Learning Space Rating System is a tool developed by leading community experts for rating formal learning spaces to determine how well their design affords and encourages active learning…
- 7 Things You Should Read About Instructional Strategies for Active Learning
February 26, 2015
For many instructors, active learning represents a departure from traditional teaching, requiring new roles, tools, and strategies to be successful. Examples of active learning are expanding, and…
- 2015 Horizon Report
February 11, 2015
Produced by ELI and NMC each year, the Horizon Report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to…
- 7 Things You Should Know About the 2015 ELI Content Anchors
February 6, 2015
Each year, ELI conducts a survey to identify the technologies and developments that the teaching and learning community finds most important for higher education. Those content anchors reflect th…
- Reimagining Learning Spaces: Design, Technology, and Assessment
November 14, 2014
Members of the higher education teaching and learning community gathered online for the EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative Fall Focus Session on October 28 and 29, 2014, to talk about the interplay o…
- Considering Classroom Seating for Students and Faculty in the 21st Century
March 19, 2014
In colleges and universities, the physical learning environment embodies an institution’s educational philosophy and priorities. Ideally, such environments are planned with considered attention…
- 7 Things You Should Read About Makerspaces
October 25, 2013
Makerspaces are physical location s where people gather to share resources and knowledge , work on projects, network, and build. The "7 Things You Should Read About..." series fro…
- 7 Things You Should Know About Makerspaces
April 9, 2013
A makerspace is a physical location where people gather to share resources and knowledge, work on projects, network, and build. Makerspaces provide tools and working room in a community environ…
- 7 Things You Should Know About Collaborative Learning Spaces
January 8, 2013
Alternative classroom designs have emerged that support collaborative learning and shift the focus away from lecture-based formats. Collaborative learning spaces generally involve new…
- Role-Differentiated Responses to Active Learning Classrooms: The University of Minnesota
November 1, 2012
Technology-enhanced learning spaces called Active Learning Classrooms (ALCs ) have become an important component of the teaching and learning paradigm at the University of Minnesota. Since Aug…