Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, September 29- October 2, 2014. Explore Learning Space sessions at the 2014 Annual Conference in Orlando.
- ELI Online Fall Focus Sessions - On October 28 and 29, ELI will host its 2014 Fall Focus Session, "Re-Imagining Learning Spaces: Design, Technology, and Assessment" inside an Adobe Connect learning environment.
Articles and Papers
- Considering Classroom Seating for Students and Faculty in the 21st Century, ELI Seeking Evidence of Impact (SEI) Case Study, March 2014.
- 7 Things You Should Know About Makerspaces, ELI 7 Things You Should Know, May 2013
- Creating Shared Learning Spaces: The North Quad Experience, EDUCAUSE Review Online, April 2013
- 7 Things You Should Know About Collaborative Learning Spaces, ELI 7 Things You Should Know, January 2013,
- Role-Differentiated Responses to Active Learning Classrooms: The University of Minnesota, ELI Seeking Evidence of Impact (SEI) Case Study, November 2012.
- Pedagogy and Space: Empirical Research on New Learning Environments, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, December 2011.
- From Learning Commons to Learning Outcomes: Assessing Collaborative Services and Spaces, ECAR Bulletin, September 2011.
- 7 Things You Should Know About the Modern Learning Commons, ELI 7 Things You Should Know, April 2011.
- Classroom.NEXT: Engaging Faculty and Students in Learning Space Design, ELI Brief, July 2011.
- Making the Case for Space: Three Years of Empirical Research on Learning Environments, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, 2010.
- Learning Space Design with an Inclusive Planning Process Promotes User Engagement, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, 2009.
Planning Sites, Presentations and Seminars
- The Learning Space Rating System, EDUCAUSE Live! January 2014.
- Assessing Teaching and Learning in Technology-Infused TILE Classrooms at The University of Iowa, ELI Annual Meeting, February 2012.
- Learning Space Tool Kit, This Toolkit, from NCSU Libraries, will be freely available as a resource on the web and will be developed using a collaborative process that shares thinking early and often from the broader community.
- Using Technology to Engage Students, ELI Annual Conference, February 2011.
- Building Best Practices for Data-Driven Assessment of Technology-Enabled Learning Spaces, ELI Annual Meeting, January 2010.
- Stanford University's Wallenberg Hall: Looking Back, Looking Forward, ELI Annual Meeting, January 2010.
- Brick-and-Mortar Libraries in the 21st-Century: An Oxymoron?, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, November 2009.
- Academic Library Building Design: Resources for Planning, ACRL and LLAMA. This Guide will provide information for thinking about the design of new and renovated library space, and point toward additional resources that can support, inform and enhance the academic library design process.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Space
- Developing Collaborative Workstations
January 1, 2007
Good Ideas Developing Collaborative Workstations Careful consideration of student needs and testing of several prototypes yielded a successful model for collaborative workstations in the li…
- Learning Centers, Libraries, and IT: Providing Integrated Support Services in a Learning Commons
February 27, 2007
Several years ago, Colorado College embarked on an ambitious collaborative venture to create a new, experimental Learning Commons space in its library. The collaboration also spawned a group that…
- Disconnects Between Library Culture and Millennial Generation Values
January 1, 2006
Viewpoint Disconnects Between Library Culture and Millennial Generation Values Libraries must consider changes in both policy and technology to remain relevant to the next generation of stu…
- High-Velocity Change: Creating Collaborative Learning Environments
July 19, 2005
This research bulletin describes how a group of individuals at the University of Kansas worked to design and implement a collaborative learning environment for students, based on theoretical and …
- High Velocity Change through High Volume Collaboration
November 16, 2004
Presentation at the November 2004 ECAR Symposium. The University of Kansas presents the results of its project to integrate IT and library functions with the goal of focusing on student success. …
- Information Commons Issues & Trends: Voices from the Frontline
January 1, 2003
A panel at the ACRL conference discussed information commons. Accompanying documents include a brochure with bibliography. A panel at the ACRL conferen…
- Lightning Round of Innovative Work and Projects
March 18, 2008
A session at the EDUCAUSE Midwest Regional Conference 2008
Come learn about innovative work being done in the Midwest region at this brisk, lively showcase of five-minute presentations from ten of your peer institutions. Time will be allotted for Q&A, …
- When The Whole Is Greater Than the Sum of Its Part(ner)s: Partnering for Success
March 17, 2008
A session at the EDUCAUSE Midwest Regional Conference 2008
This session will use the InfoCommons at Northwestern Library as a case study to examine a very successful partnership in technology application and space planning between two high-profile campus e…
- Good Partners Make Good Neighbors: Information Commons at LSU
February 20, 2008
A session at the EDUCAUSE Southwest Regional Conference 2008
LSU's Information Commons includes assistive technology, Windows and Mac computing, and large-format printing. IT worked with library staff on the renovating the first floor of a 1957 building…
- Navigating the Tennessee River: The Commons Steering Committee Charts a Course
June 12, 2007
A session at the EDUCAUSE Southeast Regional Conference 2007
Bringing together diverse work groups from IT and libraries to develop a new service can be challenging. This session will describe how the University of Tennessee applied many of the techniques us…