Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Recent and Upcoming Events
- EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, September 29- October 2, 2014. Explore Learning Space sessions at the 2014 Annual Conference in Orlando.
- ELI Online Fall Focus Sessions - On October 28 and 29, ELI will host its 2014 Fall Focus Session, "Re-Imagining Learning Spaces: Design, Technology, and Assessment" inside an Adobe Connect learning environment.
Articles and Papers
- The Evolving Classroom: Creating Experiential Learning Spaces, EDUCAUSE Review Online, October 2014.
- Considering Classroom Seating for Students and Faculty in the 21st Century, ELI Seeking Evidence of Impact (SEI) Case Study, March 2014.
- 7 Things You Should Know About Makerspaces, ELI 7 Things You Should Know, May 2013
- Creating Shared Learning Spaces: The North Quad Experience, EDUCAUSE Review Online, April 2013
- 7 Things You Should Know About Collaborative Learning Spaces, ELI 7 Things You Should Know, January 2013,
- Role-Differentiated Responses to Active Learning Classrooms: The University of Minnesota, ELI Seeking Evidence of Impact (SEI) Case Study, November 2012.
- Pedagogy and Space: Empirical Research on New Learning Environments, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, December 2011.
- From Learning Commons to Learning Outcomes: Assessing Collaborative Services and Spaces, ECAR Bulletin, September 2011.
- 7 Things You Should Know About the Modern Learning Commons, ELI 7 Things You Should Know, April 2011.
- Classroom.NEXT: Engaging Faculty and Students in Learning Space Design, ELI Brief, July 2011.
- Making the Case for Space: Three Years of Empirical Research on Learning Environments, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, 2010.
- Learning Space Design with an Inclusive Planning Process Promotes User Engagement, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, 2009.
Planning Sites, Presentations and Seminars
- The Learning Space Rating System, EDUCAUSE Live! January 2014.
- Assessing Teaching and Learning in Technology-Infused TILE Classrooms at The University of Iowa, ELI Annual Meeting, February 2012.
- Learning Space Tool Kit, This Toolkit, from NCSU Libraries, will be freely available as a resource on the web and will be developed using a collaborative process that shares thinking early and often from the broader community.
- Using Technology to Engage Students, ELI Annual Conference, February 2011.
- Building Best Practices for Data-Driven Assessment of Technology-Enabled Learning Spaces, ELI Annual Meeting, January 2010.
- Stanford University's Wallenberg Hall: Looking Back, Looking Forward, ELI Annual Meeting, January 2010.
- Brick-and-Mortar Libraries in the 21st-Century: An Oxymoron?, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, November 2009.
- Academic Library Building Design: Resources for Planning, ACRL and LLAMA. This Guide will provide information for thinking about the design of new and renovated library space, and point toward additional resources that can support, inform and enhance the academic library design process.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Space
- Capitalizing on Opportunity: Innovative Teaching and Collaborative Learning at Emory University
October 4, 2004
This case study examines the rationale and design of the Computing Center at Cox Hall at Emory University and the ways in which the Center supports innovative teaching and collaborative learning.…
- Collaboration to Create Collaborative Learning Environments
October 20, 2004
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2004 Annual Conference
With in-person traffic decreasing, and virtual traffic on the rise, libraries must adapt as students and faculty look for facilities to support new kinds of learning activities. This session will f…
- High-Velocity Change: Creating Collaborative Learning Environments
July 19, 2005
This research bulletin describes how a group of individuals at the University of Kansas worked to design and implement a collaborative learning environment for students, based on theoretical and …
- The Psychology of Learning Environments
January 1, 2006
Ã‚Â©2006 Ken A. Graetz EDUCAUSE Review, vol. 41, no. 6 (November/December 2006): 60–75 Reprinted by permission of the author, from Learning Spaces, ed. Diana G. Oblinger (Bou…
- Collaborative Learning Space Design for the Humanities
February 23, 2006
A session at the EDUCAUSE Southwest Regional Conference 2006
Spurred on by accreditation requirements, faculty in the Kansas State University humanities departments joined with representatives from university IT departments, facilities, and the libraries to …
- Commons 2.0: Library Spaces Designed for Collaborative Learning
November 9, 2007
Viewpoint Commons 2.0: Library Spaces Designed for Collaborative Learning The information commons must adapt and evolve to become Commons 2.0, fostering student learning in new and creative…
- Learning Curve: Adapting Library Workspaces
November 17, 2008
© 2008 James C. Haug EDUCAUSE Quarterly, vol. 31, no. 4 (October–December 2008) Good Ideas Learning Curve: Adapting Library Workspaces Student insights and suggestions help max…
- Signposts of the Revolution? What We Talk about When We Talk about Learning Spaces
March 20, 2009
©2009 Phillip D. Long and Richard Holeton. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 License ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/b…
- Using the PAIR-up Model to Evaluate Active Learning Spaces
March 26, 2009
By Aimee L. Whiteside, Linda Jorn, Ann Hill Duin, and Steve Fitzgerald The PAIR-up model takes advantage of interdisciplinary partnerships, assessment, innovation, and reevaluation of c…
- Collaborative Learning Spaces at Missouri University of Science and Technology
March 26, 2009
By Angie Hammons and Lauren Brady Oswald Collaborative learning spaces support studentsâ€™ expectations of higher education by giving them better access to their instructors and ea…