Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Teaching and Learning [x]
- Learning Space [x]
- Learning Environments (67)
- Collaborative Learning (27)
- Assessment and Evaluation (25)
- Instructional Design (19)
- Active Learning (16)
- Instructional Technologies (16)
- Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) (16)
- Student Engagement and Interaction (15)
- Teaching and Learning Strategic Planning (13)
- Infrastructure and Emerging Technologies (72)
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (69)
- Libraries and Technology (41)
- EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, September 29- October 2, 2014. Explore Learning Space sessions at the 2014 Annual Conference in Orlando.
- ELI Online Fall Focus Sessions - On October 28 and 29, ELI will host its 2014 Fall Focus Session, "Re-Imagining Learning Spaces: Design, Technology, and Assessment" inside an Adobe Connect learning environment.
Articles and Papers
- Considering Classroom Seating for Students and Faculty in the 21st Century, ELI Seeking Evidence of Impact (SEI) Case Study, March 2014.
- 7 Things You Should Know About Makerspaces, ELI 7 Things You Should Know, May 2013
- Creating Shared Learning Spaces: The North Quad Experience, EDUCAUSE Review Online, April 2013
- 7 Things You Should Know About Collaborative Learning Spaces, ELI 7 Things You Should Know, January 2013,
- Role-Differentiated Responses to Active Learning Classrooms: The University of Minnesota, ELI Seeking Evidence of Impact (SEI) Case Study, November 2012.
- Pedagogy and Space: Empirical Research on New Learning Environments, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, December 2011.
- From Learning Commons to Learning Outcomes: Assessing Collaborative Services and Spaces, ECAR Bulletin, September 2011.
- 7 Things You Should Know About the Modern Learning Commons, ELI 7 Things You Should Know, April 2011.
- Classroom.NEXT: Engaging Faculty and Students in Learning Space Design, ELI Brief, July 2011.
- Making the Case for Space: Three Years of Empirical Research on Learning Environments, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, 2010.
- Learning Space Design with an Inclusive Planning Process Promotes User Engagement, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, 2009.
Planning Sites, Presentations and Seminars
- The Learning Space Rating System, EDUCAUSE Live! January 2014.
- Assessing Teaching and Learning in Technology-Infused TILE Classrooms at The University of Iowa, ELI Annual Meeting, February 2012.
- Learning Space Tool Kit, This Toolkit, from NCSU Libraries, will be freely available as a resource on the web and will be developed using a collaborative process that shares thinking early and often from the broader community.
- Using Technology to Engage Students, ELI Annual Conference, February 2011.
- Building Best Practices for Data-Driven Assessment of Technology-Enabled Learning Spaces, ELI Annual Meeting, January 2010.
- Stanford University's Wallenberg Hall: Looking Back, Looking Forward, ELI Annual Meeting, January 2010.
- Brick-and-Mortar Libraries in the 21st-Century: An Oxymoron?, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, November 2009.
- Academic Library Building Design: Resources for Planning, ACRL and LLAMA. This Guide will provide information for thinking about the design of new and renovated library space, and point toward additional resources that can support, inform and enhance the academic library design process.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Space
- "That's Great, But You'll Never Get It Built": The Computing Lab Redefined at the University of Chicago
January 1, 2001
The library, central computing, and biological sciences at The University of Chicago embarked on a "no limits" study to design the "perfect" computing cluster. What emerged was …
- "Where Do You Learn?": Tweeting to Inform Learning Space Development
March 26, 2009
By Elizabeth J. Aspden and Louise P. Thorpe Emerging technologies and applications can extend traditional approaches to data generation and can be used effectively in institutional plan…
- 7 Things You Should Know About Collaborative Learning Spaces
January 8, 2013
Alternative classroom designs have emerged that support collaborative learning and shift the focus away from lecture-based formats. Collaborative learning spaces generally involve new…
- 7 Things You Should Know About Makerspaces
April 9, 2013
A makerspace is a physical location where people gather to share resources and knowledge, work on projects, network, and build. Makerspaces provide tools and working room in a community environ…
- 7 Things You Should Know About Second Life
June 11, 2008
Second Life is a virtual world with tens of millions of square meters of virtual lands, more than 13 million “residents,” and a thriving economy. Large numbers of colleges and universities—…
- 7 Things You Should Know About the Modern Learning Commons
April 11, 2011
The learning commons, sometimes called an â€œinformation commons,â€ has evolved from a combination library and computer lab into a full-service learning, research, and project space. A…
- 7 Things You Should Read About Makerspaces
October 25, 2013
Makerspaces are physical location s where people gather to share resources and knowledge , work on projects, network, and build. The "7 Things You Should Read About..." series fro…
- A Case Study in Master Planning the Learning Landscape Hub Concepts for the University at Buffalo
March 26, 2009
By Shirley Dugdale, Roger Torino, and Elliot Felix A Learning Landscape approach to master planning takes into account the entire environment that learners experience, from instructiona…
- A Collaborative Codesign Approach for Student-Centric Learning Commons
October 25, 2007
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2007 Annual Conference
Since 2003, an interdisciplinary team of Swedish, Australian, and American researchers has developed and tested inclusive, transferable processes for collaborative planning and iterative assessment…
- A Long-Term View for Learning Spaces
March 20, 2009
Â© 2009 Joan K. Lippincott, Clare C. van den Blink, Martin Lewis, Crit Stuart, and Lauren Brady Oswald EDUCAUSE Review, vol. 44, no. 2 (March/April 2009): 10â€“11 A Long-Term Vie…