Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
5 Tips for Active Learning Space Design - Chris Kobza is managing director for learning spaces at the University of Oklahoma.
Articles and Papers
- Emerging Technologies to Enhance Teaching and Enable Active Learning, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 2015.
- The Evolving Classroom: Creating Experiential Learning Spaces, EDUCAUSE Review Online, October 2014.
- Considering Classroom Seating for Students and Faculty in the 21st Century, ELI Seeking Evidence of Impact (SEI) Case Study, March 2014.
- 7 Things You Should Know About Makerspaces, ELI 7 Things You Should Know, May 2013
- Creating Shared Learning Spaces: The North Quad Experience, EDUCAUSE Review Online, April 2013
- 7 Things You Should Know About Collaborative Learning Spaces, ELI 7 Things You Should Know, January 2013,
- Role-Differentiated Responses to Active Learning Classrooms: The University of Minnesota, ELI Seeking Evidence of Impact (SEI) Case Study, November 2012.
- Pedagogy and Space: Empirical Research on New Learning Environments, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, December 2011.
- From Learning Commons to Learning Outcomes: Assessing Collaborative Services and Spaces, ECAR Bulletin, September 2011.
- 7 Things You Should Know About the Modern Learning Commons, ELI 7 Things You Should Know, April 2011.
- Classroom.NEXT: Engaging Faculty and Students in Learning Space Design, ELI Brief, July 2011.
- Making the Case for Space: Three Years of Empirical Research on Learning Environments, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, 2010.
- Learning Space Design with an Inclusive Planning Process Promotes User Engagement, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, 2009.
Planning Sites, Presentations and Seminars
- The Learning Space Rating System, EDUCAUSE Live! January 2014.
- Assessing Teaching and Learning in Technology-Infused TILE Classrooms at The University of Iowa, ELI Annual Meeting, February 2012.
- Learning Space Tool Kit, This Toolkit, from NCSU Libraries, will be freely available as a resource on the web and will be developed using a collaborative process that shares thinking early and often from the broader community.
- Using Technology to Engage Students, ELI Annual Conference, February 2011.
- Building Best Practices for Data-Driven Assessment of Technology-Enabled Learning Spaces, ELI Annual Meeting, January 2010.
- Stanford University's Wallenberg Hall: Looking Back, Looking Forward, ELI Annual Meeting, January 2010.
- Brick-and-Mortar Libraries in the 21st-Century: An Oxymoron?, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, November 2009.
- Academic Library Building Design: Resources for Planning, ACRL and LLAMA. This Guide will provide information for thinking about the design of new and renovated library space, and point toward additional resources that can support, inform and enhance the academic library design process.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Space
- 7 Things You Should Read About Personalized Learning Models
November 24, 2015
The topic of personalized learning —along with related concepts such as adaptive learning and competency-based education —has received considerable attention lately, including predictio…
- Unified Communications in Higher Education: Responding to New Risks
November 17, 2015
New unified communications (UC) capabilities and the increased desire for richer collaboration experiences have led to a fundamental shift in the technology we use for communication. For …
- Integrated Planning & Advising for Student Success: After a Convening, Work Begins
October 30, 2015
iPASS stands for Integrated Planning and Advising for Student Success. There’s a lot behind the five-letter acronym and the name it stands for – and it means much more, for the students and f…
- The Future of the University: Speculative Design for Innovation in Higher Education
November 9, 2015
This essay proposes five models of innovation in higher education that expand our "Ideas of the University," envisioning educational start-ups in the spirit of entrepreneurial experimen…
- Pedagogy, Technology, and the Example of Open Educational Resources
November 9, 2015
When no meaningful relationship exists between an educational technology and pedagogy, the tool itself loses value. Open educational resources provide a relevant example of how pedagogy can point…
- What We Can Learn from Jon Stewart about Talent Development
October 16, 2015
We all have opportunities in our careers to become, like Jon Stewart, a “superboss.” We all have opportunities in our careers to become, like…
- Science DMZ: ECAR-WG Technology Spotlight
November 11, 2015
Science DMZ provides a network-architecture approach optimized for high-performance scientific applications and the transfer of large research data sets over high-speed wide area ne…
- How to Avoid Unintentional Insider Threats
October 30, 2015
People within an organization pose unintentional threats, although lost devices have become a major concern. Training and awareness offer the best protection against losses. …
- VA SCAN: Recognizing Advancement of the Security Profession
October 29, 2015
VA SCAN offers an excellent example of a community trying to build an up-and-coming generation of well-networked and well-educated information security professionals. …
- Cybersecurity Risk Management
October 29, 2015
The NIST Cybersecurity Framework enables a way to effect consistent prioritization, execution, and measurement of activity to achieve cybersecurity risk-management goals, tailored to each institu…