Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Teaching and Learning [x]
- Learning Space [x]
- Learning Environments (79)
- Active Learning (34)
- Assessment and Evaluation (27)
- Collaborative Learning (27)
- Instructional Design (22)
- Instructional Technologies (18)
- Student Engagement and Interaction (17)
- Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) (16)
- Teaching and Learning Strategic Planning (13)
- Infrastructure and Emerging Technologies (80)
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (74)
- Libraries and Technology (43)
5 Tips for Active Learning Space Design - Chris Kobza is managing director for learning spaces at the University of Oklahoma.
Articles and Papers
- Emerging Technologies to Enhance Teaching and Enable Active Learning, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 2015.
- The Evolving Classroom: Creating Experiential Learning Spaces, EDUCAUSE Review Online, October 2014.
- Considering Classroom Seating for Students and Faculty in the 21st Century, ELI Seeking Evidence of Impact (SEI) Case Study, March 2014.
- 7 Things You Should Know About Makerspaces, ELI 7 Things You Should Know, May 2013
- Creating Shared Learning Spaces: The North Quad Experience, EDUCAUSE Review Online, April 2013
- 7 Things You Should Know About Collaborative Learning Spaces, ELI 7 Things You Should Know, January 2013,
- Role-Differentiated Responses to Active Learning Classrooms: The University of Minnesota, ELI Seeking Evidence of Impact (SEI) Case Study, November 2012.
- Pedagogy and Space: Empirical Research on New Learning Environments, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, December 2011.
- From Learning Commons to Learning Outcomes: Assessing Collaborative Services and Spaces, ECAR Bulletin, September 2011.
- 7 Things You Should Know About the Modern Learning Commons, ELI 7 Things You Should Know, April 2011.
- Classroom.NEXT: Engaging Faculty and Students in Learning Space Design, ELI Brief, July 2011.
- Making the Case for Space: Three Years of Empirical Research on Learning Environments, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, 2010.
- Learning Space Design with an Inclusive Planning Process Promotes User Engagement, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, 2009.
Planning Sites, Presentations and Seminars
- The Learning Space Rating System, EDUCAUSE Live! January 2014.
- Assessing Teaching and Learning in Technology-Infused TILE Classrooms at The University of Iowa, ELI Annual Meeting, February 2012.
- Learning Space Tool Kit, This Toolkit, from NCSU Libraries, will be freely available as a resource on the web and will be developed using a collaborative process that shares thinking early and often from the broader community.
- Using Technology to Engage Students, ELI Annual Conference, February 2011.
- Building Best Practices for Data-Driven Assessment of Technology-Enabled Learning Spaces, ELI Annual Meeting, January 2010.
- Stanford University's Wallenberg Hall: Looking Back, Looking Forward, ELI Annual Meeting, January 2010.
- Brick-and-Mortar Libraries in the 21st-Century: An Oxymoron?, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, November 2009.
- Academic Library Building Design: Resources for Planning, ACRL and LLAMA. This Guide will provide information for thinking about the design of new and renovated library space, and point toward additional resources that can support, inform and enhance the academic library design process.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Space
- The University Library as Incubator for Digital Scholarship
June 30, 2014
By leveraging technology, we can open new doors to scholarly inquiry for ourselves and our students. Through new collaborations, we can create exciting shared spaces, both virtual and physical…
- Trends in Digital Scholarship Centers
June 16, 2014
Key Takeaways Experiences gained from existing digital scholarship centers can help uninitiated institutions better launch their own efforts and thereby increase support for the …
- Next Gen Tools: e3 Civic High School Facility
April 17, 2014
This innovation brief from Next Generation Learning Challenges (NGLC) focuses on the facility infrastructure of e3 Civic High School--a flexible, open, 21st century space that supports the…
- Considering Classroom Seating for Students and Faculty in the 21st Century
March 19, 2014
In colleges and universities, the physical learning environment embodies an institution’s educational philosophy and priorities. Ideally, such environments are planned with considered attention…
- Fostering a Place for Invention and Creation: Two Approaches to Makerspaces on Campus
October 28, 2013
Learn how two institutions provide space for fabrication and collaboration with access to advanced tools such as 3D printers and laser cutters. Case Western Reserve University's thin…
- 7 Things You Should Read About Makerspaces
October 25, 2013
Makerspaces are physical location s where people gather to share resources and knowledge , work on projects, network, and build. The "7 Things You Should Read About..." series fro…
- Developments in Higher Education Educational Technology: The Horizon Report in Action
March 24, 2015
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - Developments in Higher Education Educational Technology
Wondering what the new developments in educational technology are for higher education? Or what the most important teaching and learning focus areas are for the community? Join Malcolm Brown and …
- Learning Spaces: Tackling the Burning Questions
February 10, 2015
A session at the ELI Annual Meeting 2015
Learning spaces are receiving renewed attention across higher education, featuring prominently in both the ELI content anchors and the 2015 Horizon Report. Come join a mini un-conference on this …
- One Size Does Not Fit All: Considerations When Designing Active Learning Classrooms
February 9, 2015
A session at the ELI Annual Meeting 2015
The University of Oklahoma has designed and deployed six technology-enhanced active learning classrooms (ALCs) over the past two years. These classrooms have transformed the way we think about ca…
- Teaching and Learning: 2014 in Retrospect, 2015 in Prospect
December 8, 2014
A session at the Teaching and Learning: 2014 in Retrospect, 2015 in Prospect
The past year has been an eventful one for teaching and learning in higher education. There have been developments in all areas, including analytics, the LMS, online education, and learning space…