Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Using portable computing devices (such as iPads, laptops, tablet PCs, PDAs, and smart phones) with wireless networks enables mobility and mobile learning, allowing teaching and learning to extend to spaces beyond the traditional classroom. Within the classroom, mobile learning gives instructors and learners increased flexibility and new opportunities for interaction. Explore this resource site—a collection of all EDUCAUSE mobile learning related resources.
Articles, Papers, Portals and Reports
- Students' Mobile Learning Practices in Higher Education: A Multi-Year Study, EDUCAUSE Review July/August 2015.
- 7 Things You Should Read About Microlearning in Mobile and Flipped Contexts ELI, October 15, 2014
- Study of Students and Information Technology, 2014 ECAR, October 30, 2014
- Progress in Meeting Demand for Mobile IT, ECAR Research Report, September 2013. ECAR surveyed more than 300 institutions to assess the current state of mobile IT in higher education.
- 7 Things You Should Know About Application Development Tools,ELI September 2012
- The Future of Mobile Learning, ECAR Research Bulletin, May 2012
- Mobile Learning Portal is a website hosted by the Learning Technology Center in the College of Education at The University of Texas at Austin
- 2012 Horizon Report ELI/NMC, February 2012
- Mobile Perspectives: On Teaching—Mobile Literacy, EDUCAUSE Review, March/April 2011
- Mixable: A Mobile and Connected Learning Environment, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, March 2011.
- 7 Things You Should Know About iPad Apps for Learning, ELI, February 2011
- Learning through Situated Simulations: Exploring Mobile Augmented Reality ECAR Bulletin, January 2011
- 7 Things You Should Know About Android ELI, December 2010
- Teaching America’s First Course on Mobile Phone Learning EDUCAUSE Quarterly, September 2010
- Mobile Learning Environments, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, September 2010
- Mobile Learning: Context and Prospects, ELI White Paper, May 2010
- 7 Things You Should Know About Mobile Apps for Learning, ELI, May 2010
- 7 Things You Should Know About E-Readers, ELI, March 2010
Podcasts, Presentations, and Seminars
- Mobile Essentials for Faculty April 2, 2014. A session at the Online Spring Focus Session - Faculty Engagement and Development. This session will introduce you to UCFs mobile learning professional development course.
- Vision and Action: A Three-Year Retrospective on a Large-Scale Mobile Initiative, ELI Annual Meeting, February 4, 2014. In 2010, the University of Minnesota's College of Education and Human Development attracted the attention of higher education by announcing that it would provide its entire freshman class of 450 students with iPads in the largest pilot of its kind at a major research university. The presenters will share their different perspectives on lessons learned on this mobile initiative, now in its fourth year, and offer key considerations for those working on mobile integration in their programs or courses.
- From Standardized to Personalized: A Trajectory for Mobile Learning, ELI Webinar, August 2012
- Establishing Metrics for mLearning, ELI Annual Meeting, February 2012
- The Design and Implementation of a Campus-Wide Mobile Learning Initiative, ELI Annual Meeting, February 2012
- Classroom Engagement in the Age of Cell Phones and Social Media, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, October 2012
- Spotlight on Mobile Computing: Stories of Mobile Learning, EDUCAUSE Live! January 2011
- Classroom Engagement in the Age of Cell Phones and Social Media EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, October 2010
- Mobile Devices in Higher Ed ... for Learning? You Bet, ELI Spring Online Focus Session, March 2010
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Mobile Learning
- Mobile Learning Technologies: Aligning Mission with Innovation
April 10, 2007
This research bulletin documents how a small university adopted Tegrity, a relatively new technological innovation designed to enhance student learning of course material through note-taking hard…
- Podcast: William Rankin on Mobile Learning with the iPhone and iPod
July 22, 2010
William Rankin is Associate Professor and Director of Educational Innovation at Abilene Christian University. In this interview from the EDUCAUSE 2009 Conference, Rankin discusses ACU's …
- A New Culture of Learning: Cultivating the Imagination for a World of Constant Change
March 21, 2011
In A New Culture of Learning , Douglas Thomas and John Seely Brown explore a second sense of culture, one that not only adapts but integrates change into its process as an environmental va…
- Digital Texts and the Future of Education: Why Books?
March 29, 2011
Key Takeaways Students have expectations for interactivity and connectedness when they use digital devices, yet these expectations are frequently unmet when using most digital tex…
- [Mobile Perspectives: On iPads] Why Mobile?
April 7, 2011
Mary Ann Gawelek ( email@example.com ) is Provost and Dean of the Faculty, Mary Spataro ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) is Director, Center for Innovative Teaching, and Phil Komarny ( komar…
- Top-Ten IT Issues in Higher Education: 2011 Current Issues Survey Results
June 1, 2011
In this year’s Current Issues Survey, mobile computing debuts as a top-ten higher education IT issue critical for strategic success and emerging across all issues is the need for IT leaders to…
- Student-Community Collaboration to Construct Mobile Learning Games
September 27, 2011
Key Takeaways Integrating mobile learning games into a graduate-level course at Appalachian State University built on the concepts behind constructionist pedagogy and service-lear…
- Researching Mobile Learning at ACU: Conclusions, Questions, and Future Directions
October 19, 2011
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2011 Annual Conference
ACU's campus-wide deployment of mobile iOS devices to undergraduate students created a unique environment for teaching innovation and conducting research on the use of mobility in higher educa…
- EDU11: As Learning Goes Mobile
November 7, 2011
In this session by Lee Rainie , Director of the Pew Internet and American Life Projects, he discusses the Pew Research Center's Internet & American Life Project's latest findi…
- Seminar 01 - Creating an Inclusive Mobile Strategy for the Millennial Learner PLEASE NOTE: Separate registration and fee are required to attend this seminar.
February 13, 2012
A session at the ELI 2012 Online Annual Meeting
Georgia Health Sciences University, a pioneer in mobile learning, will discuss opportunities to utilize mobile learning (including gaming and simulation) to embrace millennial learners, responding …