Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Information security takes on new dimensions in a mobile context. The protection of sensitive data, IT systems, and user privacy requires different strategies. Given the limited control colleges and universities have over the mobile devices and apps on campus, what solutions can institutions find to address issues of mobile security? Explore this resource site—a collection of all EDUCAUSE resources related to mobile security.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- 8 Mobile Device Security Steps, EDUCAUSELive!, October 2013. The SANS 8 Mobile Device Security Steps is a community-driven project to provide the most up-to-date information on the most effective strategies for securing mobile infrastructure.
- 7 Things You Should Know About Mobile Security, March 2011
An EDUCAUSE summary of the ways in which mobile computing amplifies some existing security concerns and introduces new ones, including issues surrounding user privacy.
- Mobile Computing 5-Day Sprint—Day 4 Recap -- Security, Privacy, and Policy, June 2011
This brief summarizes day 4 of the EDUCAUSE Mobile Computing 5-Day Sprint, held April 25–29, 2011.
- Mobile Internet Device Security Guidelines
A wiki designed to help you develop mobile Internet device security policy, standards, guidelines or procedures. This site is maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC).
- Ten Steps to Secure Your Mobile Device
A wiki featuring advice about securing mobile devices and a list of links to additional resources about mobile security, maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC).
Presentations and Seminars
- Managing and Securing Mobile Devices in Higher Education, May 2013.
- Hot Topic Discussion: Mobility, Telecommuting, and the Cloud, April 2010
From the 2010 Security Professionals Conference, a presentation (including slides and a recording of the session) by Adam Goldstein and Joe St. Sauver that outlines the threats posed by mobile devices and measures that can limit the risk.
- Location-Sharing Technologies: Privacy Risks and Controls, July 2010
An EDUCAUSE Live! web seminar with Lorrie Faith Cramor, who discusses the risks to user privacy posed by mobile devices, as well as strategies and tools that provide a level of control over how location-specific information is shared.
- Mobile Computing: Safe or Sorry?, October 2010
A Point/Counterpoint presentation by Mark Bruhn and John Suess at the EDUCAUSE 2010 Annual Conference (including a video of the session and a shortened, audio version), in which the speakers debate strategies for securing mobile devices on campus.
- Smartphone Privacy & Security: What Should We Teach Our Users?, April 2011
In this session, an active researcher from Carnegie Mellon University will explore mobile privacy and security issues and suggest how campus policies can mitigate some of the larger risks
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Mobile Security
- Fast-Forward: Shadow IT
January 25, 2016
The following is a guest post in a new blog series by Chris Markman, Academic Technology Specialist at Clark University, where he presses the "fast-forward button" on Hacker Conference …
- The Internet Is Changing the Way We Remember
October 22, 2015
Convenient access to the Internet might make remembering mundane information a thing of the past. Just make sure you can find that information securely, by securing your Internet-enabled devices …
- Mobile Security
Mobile Security True Information security takes on new di…
- Creating a Culture of Cybersecurity at Work
October 9, 2015
Security awareness is foundational to creating a culture of cybersecurity. While technologies are evolving to stop advanced attacks, the human element is essential to protecting data in the workp…
- You're an Important Piece of the Puzzle
October 8, 2015
In case you haven't heard (perhaps you've been working remotely on the moon), cybersecurity has become a huge issue for all of us. The security professionals tasked with keeping institu…
- Designing IT Guidelines for Global Travel
August 17, 2015
Programs shuttling students, faculty, and staff to foreign destinations challenge university IT departments especially, in that foreign locations and governments can test established IT policies …
- 2015 Strategic Information Security Issues Infographic
April 24, 2015
Featuring data from the EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research and the EDUCAUSE Core Data Service, this infographic highlights the 2015 Top Information Security Strategic Issues selected by th…
- OAuth: ECAR-WG Technology Spotlight
February 20, 2015
OAuth is a specification that allows a third-party site to obtain information about a user from a second site without requiring the user to provide access credentials to the…
- The Top 3 Strategic Information Security Issues
January 12, 2015
Joanna Lyn Grama is IT GRC and Cybersecurity Program Director, EDUCAUSE. Valerie Vogel is Program Manager, EDUCAUSE. Visit the EDUCAUSE top 10 IT issues web page for additional resourc…
- Citizen Developers in UPenn's Nanofab Lab
January 12, 2015
Key Takeaways Three lab engineers with no programming experience built a lab management app for the University of Pennsylvania's Quattrone Nanofabrication Facility in th…