Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Blogs [x]
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Information security takes on new dimensions in a mobile context. The protection of sensitive data, IT systems, and user privacy requires different strategies. Given the limited control colleges and universities have over the mobile devices and apps on campus, what solutions can institutions find to address issues of mobile security? Explore this resource site—a collection of all EDUCAUSE resources related to mobile security.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- 8 Mobile Device Security Steps, EDUCAUSELive!, October 2013. The SANS 8 Mobile Device Security Steps is a community-driven project to provide the most up-to-date information on the most effective strategies for securing mobile infrastructure.
- 7 Things You Should Know About Mobile Security, March 2011
An EDUCAUSE summary of the ways in which mobile computing amplifies some existing security concerns and introduces new ones, including issues surrounding user privacy.
- Mobile Computing 5-Day Sprint—Day 4 Recap -- Security, Privacy, and Policy, June 2011
This brief summarizes day 4 of the EDUCAUSE Mobile Computing 5-Day Sprint, held April 25–29, 2011.
- Mobile Internet Device Security Guidelines
A wiki designed to help you develop mobile Internet device security policy, standards, guidelines or procedures. This site is maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC).
- Ten Steps to Secure Your Mobile Device
A wiki featuring advice about securing mobile devices and a list of links to additional resources about mobile security, maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC).
Presentations and Seminars
- Managing and Securing Mobile Devices in Higher Education, May 2013.
- Hot Topic Discussion: Mobility, Telecommuting, and the Cloud, April 2010
From the 2010 Security Professionals Conference, a presentation (including slides and a recording of the session) by Adam Goldstein and Joe St. Sauver that outlines the threats posed by mobile devices and measures that can limit the risk.
- Location-Sharing Technologies: Privacy Risks and Controls, July 2010
An EDUCAUSE Live! web seminar with Lorrie Faith Cramor, who discusses the risks to user privacy posed by mobile devices, as well as strategies and tools that provide a level of control over how location-specific information is shared.
- Mobile Computing: Safe or Sorry?, October 2010
A Point/Counterpoint presentation by Mark Bruhn and John Suess at the EDUCAUSE 2010 Annual Conference (including a video of the session and a shortened, audio version), in which the speakers debate strategies for securing mobile devices on campus.
- Smartphone Privacy & Security: What Should We Teach Our Users?, April 2011
In this session, an active researcher from Carnegie Mellon University will explore mobile privacy and security issues and suggest how campus policies can mitigate some of the larger risks
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Mobile Security
- How Higher Ed is Becoming More Learner-Centered
October 5, 2015
Two ELI publications explore emerging trends Author: Malcolm Brown Director, EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative One way to gauge how post-secondary education is evolving i…
- Postsecondary Trending Now: It Takes a Village (Make That a City)
September 28, 2015
Institutions of postsecondary education aren’t islands, and they can’t pull off the completion agenda in ivory-tower isolation. In recognition of this, cities are joining forces with th…
- Alternative Credential Adoption in Higher Ed
September 25, 2015
Nanodegrees. Microcredentials. Digital badging. Whatever you might call them, various types of alternative credentials have gone mainstream in many areas outside of academi…
- Next Gen Finance for Higher Education
September 22, 2015
When it comes to finances, what should colleges and universities focus on? In today’s climate, what’s the right way to plan for a sustainable future? The concern over institutional…
- Wearable Technologies Gain Momentum in Higher Ed
September 21, 2015
Thanks to a device on her wrist, a colleague of mine knows when she’s had a restful night’s sleep as opposed to a more fitful one. Chances are, you know someone (or ARE someone) who …
- The Brink of Closure: What Motivates Higher Education to Change?
September 1, 2015
Author: James J. Koelbl, D.D.S., M.S., M.J. There are many articles written about the need for change in higher education. The primary options seem to be either reinvent the en…
- Closing the Credential Gap: Higher Education’s Accessibility Makeover
August 11, 2015
The launch of the 2015 Breakthrough Models Incubator When you gather a group of university leaders from across the country together in one room, you get widely varied perspectives on…
- Limited Relief from FCC Ruling on Auto-Dialing/-Texting
August 7, 2015
(August 7, 2015) (EDUCAUSE telecommunications policy advisor, John Windhausen of Telepoly Consulting, provided the primary content for this post.) In early June, I wrote about the then-pe…
- The Importance of Mastery and Working Smart
July 8, 2015
Jack Suess is Vice President of IT and CIO at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC). This is the second in my blog post series building on Richard St. John's TED Talk &quo…
- Competency-Based Education: What We Learned from Experience
July 1, 2015
Author: Mary W. Hendrix, Vice-President for Student Access and Success, Texas A&M University-Commerce Jolene Applegate started her degree in 1976 and was one of the first…