Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Blogs [x]
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Information security takes on new dimensions in a mobile context. The protection of sensitive data, IT systems, and user privacy requires different strategies. Given the limited control colleges and universities have over the mobile devices and apps on campus, what solutions can institutions find to address issues of mobile security? Explore this resource site—a collection of all EDUCAUSE resources related to mobile security.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- 8 Mobile Device Security Steps, EDUCAUSELive!, October 2013. The SANS 8 Mobile Device Security Steps is a community-driven project to provide the most up-to-date information on the most effective strategies for securing mobile infrastructure.
- 7 Things You Should Know About Mobile Security, March 2011
An EDUCAUSE summary of the ways in which mobile computing amplifies some existing security concerns and introduces new ones, including issues surrounding user privacy.
- Mobile Computing 5-Day Sprint—Day 4 Recap -- Security, Privacy, and Policy, June 2011
This brief summarizes day 4 of the EDUCAUSE Mobile Computing 5-Day Sprint, held April 25–29, 2011.
- Mobile Internet Device Security Guidelines
A wiki designed to help you develop mobile Internet device security policy, standards, guidelines or procedures. This site is maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC).
- Ten Steps to Secure Your Mobile Device
A wiki featuring advice about securing mobile devices and a list of links to additional resources about mobile security, maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC).
Presentations and Seminars
- Managing and Securing Mobile Devices in Higher Education, May 2013.
- Hot Topic Discussion: Mobility, Telecommuting, and the Cloud, April 2010
From the 2010 Security Professionals Conference, a presentation (including slides and a recording of the session) by Adam Goldstein and Joe St. Sauver that outlines the threats posed by mobile devices and measures that can limit the risk.
- Location-Sharing Technologies: Privacy Risks and Controls, July 2010
An EDUCAUSE Live! web seminar with Lorrie Faith Cramor, who discusses the risks to user privacy posed by mobile devices, as well as strategies and tools that provide a level of control over how location-specific information is shared.
- Mobile Computing: Safe or Sorry?, October 2010
A Point/Counterpoint presentation by Mark Bruhn and John Suess at the EDUCAUSE 2010 Annual Conference (including a video of the session and a shortened, audio version), in which the speakers debate strategies for securing mobile devices on campus.
- Smartphone Privacy & Security: What Should We Teach Our Users?, April 2011
In this session, an active researcher from Carnegie Mellon University will explore mobile privacy and security issues and suggest how campus policies can mitigate some of the larger risks
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Mobile Security
- The Importance of Mastery and Working Smart
July 8, 2015
Jack Suess is Vice President of IT and CIO at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC). This is the second in my blog post series building on Richard St. John's TED Talk &quo…
- Competency-Based Education: What We Learned from Experience
July 1, 2015
Author: Mary W. Hendrix, Vice-President for Student Access and Success, Texas A&M University-Commerce Jolene Applegate started her degree in 1976 and was one of the first…
- 10 Lessons Learned from an Award-Winning Digital Badging Program
June 29, 2015
This week, I was invited to give a talk on digital badging at the Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education’s ( AACE ) World Conference on Educational Media and Technolo…
- Expectations for the Next Generation Digital Learning Environment
June 24, 2015
A Response to Bloggers' Comments In early May, EDUCAUSE published a white paper that summarized its research on the successor to the learning management system (LMS). We …
- Finding Your Secrets to Success
June 22, 2015
Jack Suess is Vice President of IT and CIO at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC). Recently the co-editors of this blog asked if I would write a series of posts to share so…
- Digital Badging: the Rise of Skillbuilding Recognition at EDUCAUSE
June 15, 2015
If you haven’t already earned a digital badge—or don’t know someone who has—you might be wondering what they’re all about. Digital badges are a highly visible way to document incr…
- The Future is Now: NGLC Grantees Pioneering New Models, Tech in Higher Ed
June 9, 2015
When you think of invasive advising, predictive analytics and online assessment and feedback tools, you’re probably reminded of a recent article or blog post on one or more of these subje…
- A Breakthrough Game Design for Student Success
June 8, 2015
By: Victoria (Tori) Mondelli 2010 was a good year. Next Generation Learning Challenges (NGLC) was founded as an education reform initiative, and I discovered the value of l…
- Why Autonomy Is Important for Peak Performance
June 8, 2015
Joan F. Cheverie is Manager, Professional Development Programs, EDUCAUSE. Sarah’s boss has just told her that her unit is responsible for developing a new, high-profile project. She feels re…
- Legislation Introduced to Help Public Track Success of Students in Higher Ed Institutions
June 8, 2015
House and Senate versions of the Student Right to Know Before You Go Act ( H.R. 2518 and S. 1195 ) have been introduced in Congress with the intent of providing potential and current studen…