Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts (23)
- Blogs (29)
- Agreements or Contracts (2)
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports (146)
- Blogs and Wikis (2)
- Effective Practices (1)
- Government Documents, Laws, Testimonies or Reports (10)
- Plans and Guidelines (3)
- Policies and Procedures (17)
- Presentations and Seminars (116)
- Programs and Projects (1)
- Surveys (5)
- Tools (5)
- Videos (1)
- Web Sites (1)
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Information security takes on new dimensions in a mobile context. The protection of sensitive data, IT systems, and user privacy requires different strategies. Given the limited control colleges and universities have over the mobile devices and apps on campus, what solutions can institutions find to address issues of mobile security? Explore this resource site—a collection of all EDUCAUSE resources related to mobile security.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- 8 Mobile Device Security Steps, EDUCAUSELive!, October 2013. The SANS 8 Mobile Device Security Steps is a community-driven project to provide the most up-to-date information on the most effective strategies for securing mobile infrastructure.
- 7 Things You Should Know About Mobile Security, March 2011
An EDUCAUSE summary of the ways in which mobile computing amplifies some existing security concerns and introduces new ones, including issues surrounding user privacy.
- Mobile Computing 5-Day Sprint—Day 4 Recap -- Security, Privacy, and Policy, June 2011
This brief summarizes day 4 of the EDUCAUSE Mobile Computing 5-Day Sprint, held April 25–29, 2011.
- Mobile Internet Device Security Guidelines
A wiki designed to help you develop mobile Internet device security policy, standards, guidelines or procedures. This site is maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC).
- Ten Steps to Secure Your Mobile Device
A wiki featuring advice about securing mobile devices and a list of links to additional resources about mobile security, maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC).
Presentations and Seminars
- Managing and Securing Mobile Devices in Higher Education, May 2013.
- Hot Topic Discussion: Mobility, Telecommuting, and the Cloud, April 2010
From the 2010 Security Professionals Conference, a presentation (including slides and a recording of the session) by Adam Goldstein and Joe St. Sauver that outlines the threats posed by mobile devices and measures that can limit the risk.
- Location-Sharing Technologies: Privacy Risks and Controls, July 2010
An EDUCAUSE Live! web seminar with Lorrie Faith Cramor, who discusses the risks to user privacy posed by mobile devices, as well as strategies and tools that provide a level of control over how location-specific information is shared.
- Mobile Computing: Safe or Sorry?, October 2010
A Point/Counterpoint presentation by Mark Bruhn and John Suess at the EDUCAUSE 2010 Annual Conference (including a video of the session and a shortened, audio version), in which the speakers debate strategies for securing mobile devices on campus.
- Smartphone Privacy & Security: What Should We Teach Our Users?, April 2011
In this session, an active researcher from Carnegie Mellon University will explore mobile privacy and security issues and suggest how campus policies can mitigate some of the larger risks
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Mobile Security
- Research to Ensure Access and Success in Higher Education
April 13, 2015
Key Takeaways The National Research Center for Distance Education and Technological Advancements arose in response to a national push to improve student access to a quality highe…
- Know Thy Students: Providing Aggregate Student Data to Instructors
March 30, 2015
Key Takeaways Learner-centered approaches to higher education require that instructors have insight into their students' characteristics , but instructors often prepare the…
- The New Forgotten Half and Research Directions to Support Them
January 1, 2015
Amid expanded college access over the past several decades, as many as 86 percent of on-time high school graduates now continue their education. But the era of “college for all” has yielded a…
- Top 10 IT Issues, 2015: Inflection Point
January 12, 2015
EDUCAUSE presents the top 10 IT issues facing higher education institutions this year. What is new about 2015? Nothing has changed. And everything has changed. Information technology has reach…
- Finding New Business Models in Unsettled Times
November 10, 2014
If the core crisis in higher education is one of sustainability, being focused on the job to be done and having a grasp of the forces shaping higher education gives institutional leaders a new…
- Outside the Box: Evolution & Ascent of the CISO
November 24, 2014
November 24, 2014 ERO141109 …
- U.S. Dept. of Ed. Links State Authorization and Gainful Employment Regs.
October 31, 2014
Russ Poulin, Deputy Director of Research and Analysis at WCET, has posted an initial update on the U.S. Department of Education's new gainful employment regulations and the suprising link th…
- Technology, Equality and Accessibility in College and Higher Education Act (TEACH Act) Legal Analysis
September 16, 2014
The proposed Technology, Equality and Accessibility in College and Higher Education Act (“TEACH Act”) would authorize development of accessibility guidelines for digital instructional materia…
- Developing A Comprehensive Privacy Program: A Step-By-Step Guide
December 13, 2013
Daniel Solove wrote Developing A Comprehensive Privacy Program: A Step-By-Step Guide in 2013 for The National Assoication of College and University Attorneys (NACUA). This guide seeks to…
- New Year, New Challenges: Preparing Your Campus for Data Privacy and Security Issues in the Year Ahead
December 19, 2013
As technology continues to evolve, so do the data privacy and security risks facing colleges and universities. New products and programs have made it easier to teach, gather, and share informat…