Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
- Community (85)
- EDUCAUSE Review (54)
- EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research (ECAR) (51)
- EDUCAUSE Policy Office (11)
- Archived Content (10)
- Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC) (6)
- Next Generation Learning Challenges (NGLC) (5)
- EDUCAUSE Publications (2)
- EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative (ELI) (1)
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Information security takes on new dimensions in a mobile context. The protection of sensitive data, IT systems, and user privacy requires different strategies. Given the limited control colleges and universities have over the mobile devices and apps on campus, what solutions can institutions find to address issues of mobile security? Explore this resource site—a collection of all EDUCAUSE resources related to mobile security.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- 8 Mobile Device Security Steps, EDUCAUSELive!, October 2013. The SANS 8 Mobile Device Security Steps is a community-driven project to provide the most up-to-date information on the most effective strategies for securing mobile infrastructure.
- 7 Things You Should Know About Mobile Security, March 2011
An EDUCAUSE summary of the ways in which mobile computing amplifies some existing security concerns and introduces new ones, including issues surrounding user privacy.
- Mobile Computing 5-Day Sprint—Day 4 Recap -- Security, Privacy, and Policy, June 2011
This brief summarizes day 4 of the EDUCAUSE Mobile Computing 5-Day Sprint, held April 25–29, 2011.
- Mobile Internet Device Security Guidelines
A wiki designed to help you develop mobile Internet device security policy, standards, guidelines or procedures. This site is maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC).
- Ten Steps to Secure Your Mobile Device
A wiki featuring advice about securing mobile devices and a list of links to additional resources about mobile security, maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC).
Presentations and Seminars
- Managing and Securing Mobile Devices in Higher Education, May 2013.
- Hot Topic Discussion: Mobility, Telecommuting, and the Cloud, April 2010
From the 2010 Security Professionals Conference, a presentation (including slides and a recording of the session) by Adam Goldstein and Joe St. Sauver that outlines the threats posed by mobile devices and measures that can limit the risk.
- Location-Sharing Technologies: Privacy Risks and Controls, July 2010
An EDUCAUSE Live! web seminar with Lorrie Faith Cramor, who discusses the risks to user privacy posed by mobile devices, as well as strategies and tools that provide a level of control over how location-specific information is shared.
- Mobile Computing: Safe or Sorry?, October 2010
A Point/Counterpoint presentation by Mark Bruhn and John Suess at the EDUCAUSE 2010 Annual Conference (including a video of the session and a shortened, audio version), in which the speakers debate strategies for securing mobile devices on campus.
- Smartphone Privacy & Security: What Should We Teach Our Users?, April 2011
In this session, an active researcher from Carnegie Mellon University will explore mobile privacy and security issues and suggest how campus policies can mitigate some of the larger risks
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Mobile Security
- IT Accessibility Risk Statements and Evidence
July 31, 2015
This document was created by the EDUCAUSE IT Accessibility Constituent Group to help identify accessibility risks that IT leaders should consider in their risk management process. …
- Data, Technology, and the Great Unbundling of Higher Education
August 17, 2015
Colleges and universities must address several critical issues in the years ahead in order to prepare for the next seismic change: the unbundling of higher education. …
- Closing the Credential Gap: Higher Education’s Accessibility Makeover
August 11, 2015
The launch of the 2015 Breakthrough Models Incubator When you gather a group of university leaders from across the country together in one room, you get widely varied perspectives on…
- Limited Relief from FCC Ruling on Auto-Dialing/-Texting
August 7, 2015
(August 7, 2015) (EDUCAUSE telecommunications policy advisor, John Windhausen of Telepoly Consulting, provided the primary content for this post.) In early June, I wrote about the then-pe…
- What's Next for the LMS?
June 22, 2015
Today's LMS needs to be supplemented with (and perhaps later replaced by) a new digital architecture and new learning components—the NGDLE—to enable current transitions in higher educ…
- Legislation Introduced to Help Public Track Success of Students in Higher Ed Institutions
June 8, 2015
House and Senate versions of the Student Right to Know Before You Go Act ( H.R. 2518 and S. 1195 ) have been introduced in Congress with the intent of providing potential and current studen…
- Research to Ensure Access and Success in Higher Education
April 13, 2015
Key Takeaways The National Research Center for Distance Education and Technological Advancements arose in response to a national push to improve student access to a quality highe…
- Know Thy Students: Providing Aggregate Student Data to Instructors
March 30, 2015
Key Takeaways Learner-centered approaches to higher education require that instructors have insight into their students' characteristics , but instructors often prepare the…
- The New Forgotten Half and Research Directions to Support Them
January 1, 2015
Amid expanded college access over the past several decades, as many as 86 percent of on-time high school graduates now continue their education. But the era of “college for all” has yielded a…
- Top 10 IT Issues, 2015: Inflection Point
January 12, 2015
EDUCAUSE presents the top 10 IT issues facing higher education institutions this year. What is new about 2015? Nothing has changed. And everything has changed. Information technology has reach…