Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Policies, Guidelines, Plans, Procedures and Tools [x]
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Policy and Law [x]
- Acceptable and Responsible Use Policies (97)
- Privacy Policies (55)
- Campus Policy and Law (44)
- Security Policies (39)
- E-mail Policies (38)
- Copyright and Intellectual Property Policies (36)
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (26)
- Data Classification Policies (22)
- Cell Phone Policies (15)
- Social Media Policies (12)
- PCI DSS (11)
- Cybersecurity (53)
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (24)
- Infrastructure and Emerging Technologies (20)
- 30363 (12)
- Teaching and Learning (12)
Information security takes on new dimensions in a mobile context. The protection of sensitive data, IT systems, and user privacy requires different strategies. Given the limited control colleges and universities have over the mobile devices and apps on campus, what solutions can institutions find to address issues of mobile security? Explore this resource site—a collection of all EDUCAUSE resources related to mobile security.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- 8 Mobile Device Security Steps, EDUCAUSELive!, October 2013. The SANS 8 Mobile Device Security Steps is a community-driven project to provide the most up-to-date information on the most effective strategies for securing mobile infrastructure.
- 7 Things You Should Know About Mobile Security, March 2011
An EDUCAUSE summary of the ways in which mobile computing amplifies some existing security concerns and introduces new ones, including issues surrounding user privacy.
- Mobile Computing 5-Day Sprint—Day 4 Recap -- Security, Privacy, and Policy, June 2011
This brief summarizes day 4 of the EDUCAUSE Mobile Computing 5-Day Sprint, held April 25–29, 2011.
- Mobile Internet Device Security Guidelines
A wiki designed to help you develop mobile Internet device security policy, standards, guidelines or procedures. This site is maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC).
- Ten Steps to Secure Your Mobile Device
A wiki featuring advice about securing mobile devices and a list of links to additional resources about mobile security, maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC).
Presentations and Seminars
- Managing and Securing Mobile Devices in Higher Education, May 2013.
- Hot Topic Discussion: Mobility, Telecommuting, and the Cloud, April 2010
From the 2010 Security Professionals Conference, a presentation (including slides and a recording of the session) by Adam Goldstein and Joe St. Sauver that outlines the threats posed by mobile devices and measures that can limit the risk.
- Location-Sharing Technologies: Privacy Risks and Controls, July 2010
An EDUCAUSE Live! web seminar with Lorrie Faith Cramor, who discusses the risks to user privacy posed by mobile devices, as well as strategies and tools that provide a level of control over how location-specific information is shared.
- Mobile Computing: Safe or Sorry?, October 2010
A Point/Counterpoint presentation by Mark Bruhn and John Suess at the EDUCAUSE 2010 Annual Conference (including a video of the session and a shortened, audio version), in which the speakers debate strategies for securing mobile devices on campus.
- Smartphone Privacy & Security: What Should We Teach Our Users?, April 2011
In this session, an active researcher from Carnegie Mellon University will explore mobile privacy and security issues and suggest how campus policies can mitigate some of the larger risks
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Mobile Security
- IT Accessibility Risk Statements and Evidence
July 31, 2015
This document was created by the EDUCAUSE IT Accessibility Constituent Group to help identify accessibility risks that IT leaders should consider in their risk management process. …
- Higher Education Information Security Council Charter
January 30, 2014
The HEISC mission is to support higher education institutions as they improve information security governance, compliance, data protection, and privacy programs. HEISC accomplishes this work thro…
- University-wide ICT Policies
August 25, 2014
The Univeristy of the West Indies University-wide ICT Policies include policies on Acceptable Use, Social Media, Electronic Communication and Security. …
- Web Accessibility Toolkit
May 16, 2014
This Association of Research Libraries (ARL) toolkit was created to promote the principles of accessibility, universal design, and digital inclusion. As well as help research libraries achieve di…
- Boston University Data Protection Standards
March 21, 2014
Boston University Data Protection Standards were created with the input and approval of the Information Security and Business Continuity Governance Committee and are intended to help the Unive…
- Columbia University Administrative Policy Library: Computing and Technology
March 21, 2014
Columbia University: Administrative Policy Library Computing and Technology website Columbia University: Administrative Policy Library Comput…
- Northeastern University Security Policies and Programs
March 21, 2014
Northeastern University's Security Policies and Programs website consists of several IT policies e.g., Acceptable Use Policy, Written Information Security Program and Northeastern Univers…
- University of Northern Colorado Information Management and Technology: Standards, Policies & Procedures
March 21, 2014
The University of Northern Colorado provides information technology resources to a large and varied group, including faculty, staff, students and guests. All members of this community are respo…
- Wellesley College Stewardship of Electronic Content Policy
February 27, 2014
The Wellesley College Stewardship of Electronic Content Policy establishes the exceptions to electronic content privacy at Wellesley College, including the retention of and access to electronic…
- Information Security Program Assessment Tool
November 20, 2015
This self-assessment tool was created to evaluate the maturity of higher education information security programs using as a framework the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 2700…