Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Information security takes on new dimensions in a mobile context. The protection of sensitive data, IT systems, and user privacy requires different strategies. Given the limited control colleges and universities have over the mobile devices and apps on campus, what solutions can institutions find to address issues of mobile security? Explore this resource site—a collection of all EDUCAUSE resources related to mobile security.
Articles, Papers, and Reports
- 8 Mobile Device Security Steps, EDUCAUSELive!, October 2013. The SANS 8 Mobile Device Security Steps is a community-driven project to provide the most up-to-date information on the most effective strategies for securing mobile infrastructure.
- 7 Things You Should Know About Mobile Security, March 2011
An EDUCAUSE summary of the ways in which mobile computing amplifies some existing security concerns and introduces new ones, including issues surrounding user privacy.
- Mobile Computing 5-Day Sprint—Day 4 Recap -- Security, Privacy, and Policy, June 2011
This brief summarizes day 4 of the EDUCAUSE Mobile Computing 5-Day Sprint, held April 25–29, 2011.
- Mobile Internet Device Security Guidelines
A wiki designed to help you develop mobile Internet device security policy, standards, guidelines or procedures. This site is maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC).
- Ten Steps to Secure Your Mobile Device
A wiki featuring advice about securing mobile devices and a list of links to additional resources about mobile security, maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC).
Presentations and Seminars
- Managing and Securing Mobile Devices in Higher Education, May 2013.
- Hot Topic Discussion: Mobility, Telecommuting, and the Cloud, April 2010
From the 2010 Security Professionals Conference, a presentation (including slides and a recording of the session) by Adam Goldstein and Joe St. Sauver that outlines the threats posed by mobile devices and measures that can limit the risk.
- Location-Sharing Technologies: Privacy Risks and Controls, July 2010
An EDUCAUSE Live! web seminar with Lorrie Faith Cramor, who discusses the risks to user privacy posed by mobile devices, as well as strategies and tools that provide a level of control over how location-specific information is shared.
- Mobile Computing: Safe or Sorry?, October 2010
A Point/Counterpoint presentation by Mark Bruhn and John Suess at the EDUCAUSE 2010 Annual Conference (including a video of the session and a shortened, audio version), in which the speakers debate strategies for securing mobile devices on campus.
- Smartphone Privacy & Security: What Should We Teach Our Users?, April 2011
In this session, an active researcher from Carnegie Mellon University will explore mobile privacy and security issues and suggest how campus policies can mitigate some of the larger risks
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Mobile Security
- 7 Ways BYOD Could Get You Sued
July 18, 2012
The author, Sam Narisi, discusses some of the biggest legal issues to consider when coming up with a BYOD policy and strategy. The author, Sam Na…
- Podcast: Tom Zeller on Dramatic Changes in Higher Ed IT
July 11, 2012
Tom Zeller has over 30 years of higher education IT experience. His current role as Senior Technology Analyst in the Applied Technology Laboratory at Indiana University involves projects in e…
- Multiple Devices and Platforms: Institutional Strategies
May 17, 2012
This CNI’s Executive Roundtable on multiple devices and platforms discussed institutional strategies concerning BYOD. Faculty, staff, and students in our institutions continue to use laptops a…
- 8 Mobile Device Security Steps
October 1, 2013
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - 8 Mobile Device Security Steps
Every organization is challenged to rapidly deploy mobile device security. The SANS 8 Mobile Device Security Steps is a community-driven project to provide the most up-to-date information on the …
- 7 Things You Should Know About Mobile Security
March 17, 2011
Very small computing devices represent a new frontier in the computer security war. Mobile devices amplify existing security concerns while introducing a new set of risks, but most people have …
- Lions and Tigers and Mobile Devices: Removing the Fear Factor from Securing Smart Devices
May 17, 2012
A session at the Security Professionals Conference 2012
The dramatic increase of smart devices across campus has presented security professionals with some interesting opportunities and challenges. Two Texas state institutions will review where they are…
- Securing Mobile Devices - Seminar
April 4, 2011
A session at the Security Professionals Conference 2011
The iPhone, BlackBerry, Droid, and more—mobile Internet devices are extremely popular, including with faculty members, staff, and students. But are these devices secure? Do we have any idea who…
- Debra Dandridge
Lead IT Policy Analyst, Networking & Information Security
Texas A&M University
College Station, Texas
- Robin Bartoletti
University of North Texas HSC at Fort Worth
Fort Worth, Texas
- A.Zachary Roros
Regional Sales Director
Long Island City, New York