Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts (1188)
- Blogs (1129)
- Agreements or Contracts (14)
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports (6711)
- Bibliography (10)
- Blogs and Wikis (62)
- Books and Monographs (91)
- Certification, Education, Training and Tutorials (42)
- Effective Practices (62)
- Government Documents, Laws, Testimonies or Reports (113)
- Interactive Graphic and Infographics (16)
- Letters (23)
- Plans and Guidelines (98)
- Policies and Procedures (395)
- Presentations and Seminars (9359)
- Programs and Projects (49)
- RFPs (13)
- Surveys (74)
- Tools (46)
- Vendors (4)
- Videos (82)
- Web Sites (48)
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
"Net neutrality" is the term used to describe the concept of keeping the Internet open to all lawful content, information, applications, and equipment. There is increasing concern that the owners of the local broadband connections (usually either the cable or telephone company) may block or discriminate against certain Internet users or applications in order to give an advantage to their own services. While the owners of the local network have a legitimate right to manage traffic on their network to prevent congestion, viruses, and so forth, network owners should not be able to block or degrade traffic based on the identity of the user or the type of application solely to favor their interests.
- FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler: This is How We Will Ensure Net Neutrality, Wired, February 4, 2015.
- Higher Education/Library Response, 2014 FCC Open Internet (Network Neutrality) Notice-of-Proposed-Rule-Making (NPRM). On July 18, 2014, EDUCAUSE joined with other leading higher education and library organizations to submit formal comments in response to the 2014 Federal Communications Commission (FCC) NPRM entitled, “Protecting and Promoting the Open Internet” (GN Docket No. 14-28).
- Higher Education, Library Principles to Preserve Network Neutrality. On July 10, 2014, EDUCAUSE joined other leading higher education and library associations in proposing a set of network neutrality principles for the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to use in developing new regulations to preserve the “open Internet.”
- February 19th, 2014. Statement by FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler on the FCC's Open Internet Rules.
- Letter to the FCC from ARL, ALA and EDUCAUSE addressing the January 2014 net neutrality court ruling, asking the FCC to develop policies that take higher education and library internet use into account. February 13, 2014.
- Appeals court strikes down FCC's Net neutrality rules CNET, January 14, 2014. The 2-1 ruling upheld the FCC's right to regulate broadband access, but the court called into question the FCC's authority to impose rules that dictate how broadband providers manage traffic on their networks.
- Letter to the FCC from ARL, ALA and EDUCAUSE expressing a fear that the new framework, which was first proposed December 1, will not provide sufficient protection to nonprofit public library and education services. December 13, 2010.
- Comments to the FCC from ARL, ALA and EDUCAUSE concerning open Internet protections and services over the last -mile and the application of open Internet rules to mobile wireless services. October 12, 2010.
- U.S Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia ruling in ComCast Vs. the FCC. April 6, 2010. A panel of three judges ruled that the FCC did not have the authority to order Comcast to stop slowing down BitTorrent traffic, and, more, broadly, that the FCC does not have the authority to enforce net neutrality.
- Letter to FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski regarding the preservation of the open Internet and urging adoption of net neutrality principles. EDUCAUSE, Internet2, ACE, et al., March 1, 2010.
- Comments to the FCC from the Association of Research Libraries, EDUCAUSE, Internet2, NYSERNet, and ACUTA In the matter of Preserving the Open Internet Broadband Industry Practices, January 14, 2010.
- Preserving a Free and Open Internet: A Platform for Innovation, Opportunity and Prosperity, FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski's remarks at the Brookings Institution, September 21, 2009.
- For updates on FCC actions relating to net neutrality, go to: www.openinternet.gov.
- Discuss this and other communications policy issues here.
- FCC Open Internet Rules (December 21, 2010)
- FCC's Notice of Proposed Rulemaking on Network Neutrality (October 22, 2009)
- FCC's Four Principles of Internet Freedom
- 111th Congress: Internet Freedom Preservation Act of 2009
- Open Internet Coalition letter to Congress requesting hearings on Net Neutrality, October 3, 2007
- Comments to the FCC regarding Broadband Industry Policies , June 15, 2007
- Sign on to letter to FCC concerning set top boxes , June 13, 2007
- Comments to the FCC regarding the Skype Petition, April 30, 2007
- Letter to Chairman Davis, Maryland House of Delegates, February 27, 2007
- Sign-on to letter to Congress requesting a National Broadband Policy, February 27, 2007
- Comments submitted to the FCC, regarding net neutrality provisions in the AT&T/Bell South merger, October 24, 2006
- Stevens-Inouye Letter, September 13, 2006
- Stevens-Inouye Letter, June 19, 2006
- Legislating Net Neutrality-Necessary?, a one-page issue brief submitted to the Internet Caucus Advisory Committee, June 2, 2006
- ACE letter to Congressman Sensenbrenner and Congressman Conyers in support of the House Judiciary bill HR 5417, the "Internet Freedom and Nondiscrimination Act of 2006," May 24, 2006
- ACE letter to House leaders Dennis Hastert and Nancy Pelosi in support of net neutrality, May 19, 2006
- EDUCAUSE joins the "Save the Internet" Coalition as a Charter member
- Association of American Universities letter to Representatives Barton and Dingell, March 29, 2006
- Press release regarding House Bill Language, March 28, 2006
- Co-sign on letter to Senator Stevens and Inouye, March 16, 2006
- Association of American Universities letter to Senator Stevens and Inouye, March 9, 2006
- Association of American Universities letter to Representatives Barton and Dingell, March 6, 2006
- Press release regarding Senator Wyden's Bill 2360, March 2, 2006
- Letter to Senator Wyden, March 2, 2006
- Letter to Representatives Barton and Dingell, March 1, 2006
- Sir Tim Berners-Lee Testimony, before the House Subcommittee on Telecommunications and the Internet, March 1, 2007
- The Debate on Net Neutrality: A Policy Perspective, Cheng, Bandyopadhyay and Guo, March 2007
- Internet 3.0: Identifying Problems and Solutions to the Network Neutrality Debate, Frieden, February 2007
- Testimony of Dr. Donald Spicer before the Maryland House of Delegates, February 27, 2007
- Testimony of Gary Bachula at the FTC Broadband Connectivity Competition Policy Workshop, February 14, 2007
- Testimony of Jeff Kuhns before the Senate Judiciary Committee, June 14, 2006
- Internet2 Testimonybefore the Senate Commerce Committee, February 7, 2006
- Economic Analysis and Network Neutrality: Separating Empirical Facts From Theoretical Fiction, Trevor R. Roycroft, June 2006
- Preserving the Essential Internet, Center for Democracy and Technology, June 2006
- "Internet2 and Quality of Service: Research, Experience, and Conclusions" by Steven Corbato and Ben Teitelbaum, May 2006
- CRS Report for Congress: Telecommunications Act: Competition, Innovation, and Reform, updated January 13, 2006
- Network Neutrality and Quality of Service: What a Non-Discrimination Rule Should Look Like, Barbara Van Schewick, June 2012
- It's Our Net
- "The Net@Risk", Moyers on America, PBS
- Steve Worona Interview with Kevin Mooney on Net Neutrality, the "Mooney in the Morning" show on Radio WKRT 920AM (Cortland, NY); May 24, 2006
- "The Net Neutrality Debate: A CIOs Viewpoint" by Michael M. Roberts, May 18, 2006
- Whose Internet Is It? NPR's Justice Talking debate on net neutrality with Art Bodsky and David McClure
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Net Neutrality
- Administrative IT
Administrative IT True EDUCAUSE Administrative IT Program…
- 3D Printing
3D Printing True 3D Printing , also known as additive …
Compliance True EDUCAUSE IT Governance, Risk, and Complia…
- Risk Management
Risk Management True EDUCAUSE IT Governance, Risk, and Co…
- IT Governance
IT Governance True EDUCAUSE IT Governance, Risk, and Comp…
- IT Effectiveness
IT Effectiveness True Technology on a campus is ubiquitou…
CIO True Career Development for New and Aspiring CIOs …
- Integrated Planning and Advising Services (IPAS)
Integrated Planning and Advising Services (IPAS) True A F…
Micro-credentialing True Micro-credentialing can provide …
- Competency-based Education (CBE)
Competency-based Education (CBE) True The competency-ba…