Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Networking and Emerging Technologies [x]
- Open Content [x]
- Openness [x]
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (16)
- Network Applications (10)
- E-Content (9)
- Libraries and Technology (9)
- Teaching and Learning (9)
- Instructional Technologies (8)
- Internet and Web Applications (8)
- High-Performance Computing (HPC) (6)
- Web 2.0 (6)
- Collaborative Technologies (5)
- Open Access (5)
- Information Systems and Services (4)
- Open Source (4)
- Digital Publishing (3)
- Distributed Computing (3)
- Learning (3)
- Mobile Computing (3)
EDUCAUSE values sharing, collaboration, and open access to knowledge and resources, and thus supports technologies, applications, and approaches that foster openness. Embracing openness as a core value commits EDUCAUSE to helping both its institutional and corporate members engage the topic on a sustained basis, with the goal of maximizing the flexibility and creativity with which members can advance their missions.
To learn more about openness as a core value of EDUCAUSE, please review the following value statement
- Open Governance in Higher Education: Extending the Past to the Future, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Openness is the theme of the July/August EDUCAUSE Review, vol. 45, no 4, 2010. Articles on open content, open access, OER and open faculty are all included in this issue.
- Openness in Delivering Education and Content, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, vol. 32, no. 2, 2009.
- EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, vol. 44, no. 1, January/February 2009 Openness themed issue of EDUCAUSE Review
- What Is Openness, Anyway? EDUCAUSE Quarterly, vol. 32, no. 1, 2009.
- Minds on Fire: Open Education, the Long Tail, and Learning 2.0, EDUCAUSE Review, vol. 43, no. 1, January/February 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Openness: Decoupling the Future to Radically Improve Access to Education, EDUCAUSE Live!, October 10th, 2011.
- The World Is Open: Now, WE ALL LEARN with Web Technology, ELI Annual Conference, January 21, 2010.
- Incidental Openness: Exploring Stories of Education in the Open, ELI Annual Conference, January 21, 2010.
- Throwing Open the Doors: Strategies and Implications for Open Access, EDUCAUSE Live!, October 13th, 2009.
- Where Is the Open Education Movement Going?, EDUCAUSE Live!, May 19th, 2009.
- Opening Up Education: The Collective Advancement of Education through Open Technology, Open Content, and Open Knowledge, EDUCAUSE Live!,October 17, 2008.
- EDUCAUSE Openness Constituent Group - Discurssion list
Updated January 2012
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Openness
- ERO Podcast: Chief of Staff for the Khan Academy, Jessica Yuen
September 5, 2012
In this podcast, we talk with Chief of Staff for the Khan Academy, Jessica Yuen. In our conversation, she discusses the Khan Academy's use of analytics, attitude toward affordability for stu…
- Open Wikis and the Protection of Institutional Welfare
February 7, 2012
Much has been written about wikis’ reliability and use in the classroom. This research bulletin addresses the negative impacts on institutional welfare that can arise from participating in a…
- Opening Up the Academy: The "Open" Agenda, Technology, and Universities
January 23, 2012
Stephen Pinfield ( Stephen.Pinfield@nottingham.ac.uk ) is Chief Information Officer at the University of Nottingham, United Kingdom, and Director of the Nottingham Centre for Research …
- 7 Things You Should Know About WordPress
September 2, 2011
WordPress is an open-source web application that is fundamentally a tool for publishing content , and a broad array of colleges and universities have made use of WordPress and encouraged its …
- Openness in Streaming Media
February 15, 2011
A session at the ELI Annual Meeting 2011
Online tools are transforming the way we interact with streaming audio and video. What once was housed in an hour-long disc is now open at the per-second level. Sharing customized clips, discipline…
- Collaborative Learning and Transmedia Teaching (Pilot Program/Emerging Technology)
February 14, 2011
A session at the ELI Annual Meeting 2011
In this session we explain, demonstrate, and discuss a course we co-teach at the University of Oregon that uses the WordPress MultiUser platform as a framework for creating a dynamic, collaborative…
- The Horizon Report in Action: Emerging Technologies Today and Tomorrow
April 9, 2010
While it is difficult to predict the future, it is essential to plan for it. The Horizon Report is an established planning resource, designed to catalyze discussions around emerging and arriving …
- 2010 Horizon Report and Lightning Rounds
January 19, 2010
A session at the ELI Annual Meeting 2010
For nearly eight years, the annual Horizon Report (a joint publication of the New Media Consortium and the EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative) has tracked new technologies for teaching, learning, and…
- The Convergence of Lecture Capture and Social Media
January 26, 2010
In this EDUCAUSE Live! we will discuss how the formerly separate domains of lecture capture technologies and the emerging options for publicly sharing lectures on Web 2.0 consumer platforms are d…
- Capturing Lectures: No Brainer or Sticky Wicket?
December 1, 2009
This ECAR research bulletin describes how the formerly separate domains of lecture capture technologies and the emerging options for publicly sharing lectures on Web 2.0 consumer platforms are d…