Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
- Community [x]
EDUCAUSE values sharing, collaboration, and open access to knowledge and resources, and thus supports technologies, applications, and approaches that foster openness. Embracing openness as a core value commits EDUCAUSE to helping both its institutional and corporate members engage the topic on a sustained basis, with the goal of maximizing the flexibility and creativity with which members can advance their missions.
To learn more about openness as a core value of EDUCAUSE, please review the following value statement
- Open Governance in Higher Education: Extending the Past to the Future, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Openness is the theme of the July/August EDUCAUSE Review, vol. 45, no 4, 2010. Articles on open content, open access, OER and open faculty are all included in this issue.
- Openness in Delivering Education and Content, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, vol. 32, no. 2, 2009.
- EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, vol. 44, no. 1, January/February 2009 Openness themed issue of EDUCAUSE Review
- What Is Openness, Anyway? EDUCAUSE Quarterly, vol. 32, no. 1, 2009.
- Minds on Fire: Open Education, the Long Tail, and Learning 2.0, EDUCAUSE Review, vol. 43, no. 1, January/February 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Openness: Decoupling the Future to Radically Improve Access to Education, EDUCAUSE Live!, October 10th, 2011.
- The World Is Open: Now, WE ALL LEARN with Web Technology, ELI Annual Conference, January 21, 2010.
- Incidental Openness: Exploring Stories of Education in the Open, ELI Annual Conference, January 21, 2010.
- Throwing Open the Doors: Strategies and Implications for Open Access, EDUCAUSE Live!, October 13th, 2009.
- Where Is the Open Education Movement Going?, EDUCAUSE Live!, May 19th, 2009.
- Opening Up Education: The Collective Advancement of Education through Open Technology, Open Content, and Open Knowledge, EDUCAUSE Live!,October 17, 2008.
- EDUCAUSE Openness Constituent Group - Discurssion list
Updated January 2012
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Openness
- Open Educational Resources: Breaking the Lockbox on Education
November 13, 2013
The Hewlett Foundation’s Education Program recently revisited its Open Educational Resources (OER) strategy in an effort to better understand how its philanthropic investments—within the co…
- Sustaining Our Digital Future: Institutional Strategies for Digital Content
January 30, 2013
This UK report, commissioned by the Strategic Content Alliance and undertaken by Ithaka S+R, "Sustaining Our Digital Future: Institutional Strategies for Digital Content", tells of how …
- The Cost and Quality of Online Open Textbooks: Perceptions of Community College Faculty and Students
February 4, 2013
Proponents of open educational resources (OER) claim that significant cost savings are possible when open textbooks displace traditional textbooks in the college classroom. We investigated st…
- Policy Guidelines for the Development and Promotion of Open Access
April 9, 2012
This UNESCO publication seeks to serve the needs of Open Access (OA) policy development at the government, institutional and funding agency level. The overall objective of the Policy Guide…
- Temple U. Project Ditches Textbooks for Homemade Digital Alternative
February 8, 2012
"A pilot project at Temple University this fall gave 11 faculty members $1,000 each to create a digital alternative to a traditional textbook." …
- Dramatically Bringing Down the Cost of Education with OER: How Open Education Resources Unlock the Door to Free Learning
February 7, 2012
This issue brief from the Center for American Progress and EDUCAUSE seeks to provide a substantive understanding of OER and at the same time inform the emerging public debate over their use in p…
- FSU College of Medicine Open Educational Resources Task Force Final Report
September 21, 2010
This the Final report of the Florida State University College of Medicine (FSUCOM) Open Educational Resources Task Force. This report outlines the findings of the Task Force's investigati…
- Beyond OER: Shifting Focus to Open Educational Practices
February 25, 2011
This report found that OER are more widely used where programs or initiatives for open resources exist at the institutional level. The lesser the fear, insecurity or discomfort towards OER, the h…
- Who Needs Textbooks?
January 25, 2011
How Washington State is redesigning textbooks for the digital age. How Washington State is redesigning textbooks for the digital age. …
- Free to Learn: An Open Educational Resources Policy Development Guidebook for Community College Governance Officials
October 4, 2010
Open Educational Resources (OER) offer higher education governance leaders a cost-efficient method of improving the quality of teaching and learning while at the same time reducing costs imposed …