Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports [x]
EDUCAUSE values sharing, collaboration, and open access to knowledge and resources, and thus supports technologies, applications, and approaches that foster openness. Embracing openness as a core value commits EDUCAUSE to helping both its institutional and corporate members engage the topic on a sustained basis, with the goal of maximizing the flexibility and creativity with which members can advance their missions.
To learn more about openness as a core value of EDUCAUSE, please review the following value statement
- Open Governance in Higher Education: Extending the Past to the Future, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Openness is the theme of the July/August EDUCAUSE Review, vol. 45, no 4, 2010. Articles on open content, open access, OER and open faculty are all included in this issue.
- Openness in Delivering Education and Content, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, vol. 32, no. 2, 2009.
- EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, vol. 44, no. 1, January/February 2009 Openness themed issue of EDUCAUSE Review
- What Is Openness, Anyway? EDUCAUSE Quarterly, vol. 32, no. 1, 2009.
- Minds on Fire: Open Education, the Long Tail, and Learning 2.0, EDUCAUSE Review, vol. 43, no. 1, January/February 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Openness: Decoupling the Future to Radically Improve Access to Education, EDUCAUSE Live!, October 10th, 2011.
- The World Is Open: Now, WE ALL LEARN with Web Technology, ELI Annual Conference, January 21, 2010.
- Incidental Openness: Exploring Stories of Education in the Open, ELI Annual Conference, January 21, 2010.
- Throwing Open the Doors: Strategies and Implications for Open Access, EDUCAUSE Live!, October 13th, 2009.
- Where Is the Open Education Movement Going?, EDUCAUSE Live!, May 19th, 2009.
- Opening Up Education: The Collective Advancement of Education through Open Technology, Open Content, and Open Knowledge, EDUCAUSE Live!,October 17, 2008.
- EDUCAUSE Openness Constituent Group - Discurssion list
Updated January 2012
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Openness
- Open Educational Resources: Breaking the Lockbox on Education
November 13, 2013
The Hewlett Foundation’s Education Program recently revisited its Open Educational Resources (OER) strategy in an effort to better understand how its philanthropic investments—within the co…
- Opening Up the Academy: The "Open" Agenda, Technology, and Universities
January 23, 2012
Stephen Pinfield ( Stephen.Pinfield@nottingham.ac.uk ) is Chief Information Officer at the University of Nottingham, United Kingdom, and Director of the Nottingham Centre for Research …
- Open Governance in Higher Education: Extending the Past to the Future
February 7, 2011
Patrick Masson ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) is Chief Technology Officer of UMassOnline, the online consortium of the University of Massachusetts. Comments on this article can be posted to…
- Openness as Catalyst for an Educational Reformation
August 5, 2010
© 2010 David Wiley. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/ ). EDUCAUSE Review , vol. 45, no…
- Free Education for the Masses . . . or Not
October 29, 2009
The Open University was founded in the United Kingdom in 1969. At that time the label “open” conjured different associations than it does now. The idea then was that The OU would help mak…
- Beyond Access
February 2, 2009
In an interview, Vijay Kumar, MIT's senior associate dean and director of the Office of Educational Innovation and Technology, discusses how open education reveals and shares pedagogy along …
- Education in the Digital Age
January 16, 2009
Project: Connexions Institution: Rice University Education in the Digital Age By Joel Thierstein, Executive Director, Connexions Comments on this article can be sent…
- It Takes a Consortium to Support Open Textbooks
January 16, 2009
Project: The Community College Consortium for Open Educational Resources (CCCOER) Institution: Foothill-De Anza Community College District It Takes a Consortium to Support Open …
- Some Thoughts on Free Textbooks
January 14, 2009
Textbooks : Introduction to Physical Oceanography; Our Ocean Planet; Environmental Science in the 21st Century Author: Robert Stewart, Professor, Oceanography Department,…
- The Textbook That Is Truly Free
January 16, 2009
Textbook: A First Course in Linear Algebra Author: Rob Beezer, Professor, Mathematics and Computer Science Department, University of Puget Sound The Truly Free T…