Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Open Content [x]
- Openness [x]
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (147)
- Open Access (63)
- Libraries and Technology (58)
- Teaching and Learning (55)
- Information Systems and Services (25)
- Policy and Law (20)
- Federal Policy and Law (18)
- Open Source (18)
- Infrastructure and Emerging Technologies (17)
- Open Education (17)
- 27796 (14)
EDUCAUSE values sharing, collaboration, and open access to knowledge and resources, and thus supports technologies, applications, and approaches that foster openness. Embracing openness as a core value commits EDUCAUSE to helping both its institutional and corporate members engage the topic on a sustained basis, with the goal of maximizing the flexibility and creativity with which members can advance their missions.
To learn more about openness as a core value of EDUCAUSE, please review the following value statement
- Open Governance in Higher Education: Extending the Past to the Future, EDUCAUSE Review, January/February 2011.
- Openness is the theme of the July/August EDUCAUSE Review, vol. 45, no 4, 2010. Articles on open content, open access, OER and open faculty are all included in this issue.
- Openness in Delivering Education and Content, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, vol. 32, no. 2, 2009.
- EDUCAUSE Review Magazine, vol. 44, no. 1, January/February 2009 Openness themed issue of EDUCAUSE Review
- What Is Openness, Anyway? EDUCAUSE Quarterly, vol. 32, no. 1, 2009.
- Minds on Fire: Open Education, the Long Tail, and Learning 2.0, EDUCAUSE Review, vol. 43, no. 1, January/February 2008.
Web Seminars and Podcasts
- Openness: Decoupling the Future to Radically Improve Access to Education, EDUCAUSE Live!, October 10th, 2011.
- The World Is Open: Now, WE ALL LEARN with Web Technology, ELI Annual Conference, January 21, 2010.
- Incidental Openness: Exploring Stories of Education in the Open, ELI Annual Conference, January 21, 2010.
- Throwing Open the Doors: Strategies and Implications for Open Access, EDUCAUSE Live!, October 13th, 2009.
- Where Is the Open Education Movement Going?, EDUCAUSE Live!, May 19th, 2009.
- Opening Up Education: The Collective Advancement of Education through Open Technology, Open Content, and Open Knowledge, EDUCAUSE Live!,October 17, 2008.
- EDUCAUSE Openness Constituent Group - Discurssion list
Updated January 2012
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Openness
- A Cover to Cover Solution: How Open Textbooks are the Path to Textbook Affordability
September 30, 2010
This report evaluates cost-reducing options from the traditional textbook market - rentals, e-books and e-readers - and open textbooks as potential next steps to reduce the high cost of te…
- Deploying Innovation Locally
October 7, 2010
© 2010 Veronica Diaz, Cindy Jennings, Kelvin Bentley, P. B. Garrett, Barron Koralesky, Christina Royal, and David Starrett. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attrib…
- Supercourse, Bibliotheca Alexandrina, and the Educator as Catalyst
September 22, 2010
Key Takeaways In the 1980s, BITNET inspired researchers in health care to create the Global Health Network Supercourse, an open-source repository of lectures on public health and prevention…
- DataSpace: A Funding and Operational Model for Long-Term Preservation and Sharing of Research Data
September 1, 2010
At the May 5 meeting of the National Research Board, the NSF announced that, as of October 2010, it will require that all grant proposals include a data management plan. This announcement represe…
- A sustainable future for open textbooks? The Flat World Knowledge story
August 3, 2010
Authors John L. Hilton III and David A. Wiley discuss the concern many college students and their families have a=about the high costs of textbooks. E–books have been proposed as one potential …
- New ELI 7 Things... Brief Explores Open Textbook Publishing
March 14, 2011
The open educational resources model, including textbooks, has emerged as a response to rising text prices, a need for greater access to high-quality learning materials, the proliferation o…
- Access to Knowledge as a Foundation for an Open World
August 5, 2010
© 2010 Carolina Rossini. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution License ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/ ). EDUCAUSE Review , vol. 45, n…
- To Share or Not to Share: Is That the Question?
August 5, 2010
© 2010 Maria H. Andersen. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/). …
- Through the Open Door: Open Courses as Research, Learning, and Engagement
August 5, 2010
© 2010 Dave Cormier and George Siemens. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution License ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/ ). EDUCAUSE Revie…
- Questioning the Future of the Open Student
August 5, 2010
© 2010 2010 Vicki Davis. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 License ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/ ).…