Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Presentations
- Annual Conferences [x]
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Data Privacy Month
Data Privacy Month (DPM) is an annual effort to empower people to protect their privacy and control their digital footprint, as well as escalate the protection of privacy and data as everyone's priority. Data Privacy Month will be celebrated in 2014 starting with Data Privacy Day on January 28 and running through February 28. Spend the month helping to ensure your campus community is respecting privacy, safeguarding data, and enabling trust. Visit the Data Privacy Month website for examples of campus activities, as well as archived recordings of previous webinars. It's never to early to begin planning your institution's efforts!
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Privacy Resources
- Center for Democracy and Technology (CDT)
- Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF)
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC)
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Bureau of Consumer Protection: Privacy and Security
- United States Department of Education's Family Policy Compliance Office (FCPO) (the "FERPA Office")
EDUCAUSE Staff Picks
- Just in Time Research: Privacy Practices, The poll was intended to collect a quick snapshot of the higher education community’s thoughts on this important topic during Data Privacy Month.
- 7 Things You Should Know About Privacy In Web 2.0 Learning Environments, ELI 7 Things You Should Know
- 2012 Top Ten IT Issues Reflect Privacy, Security, and Compliance Challenges, EDUCAUSE Blog by Rodney Petersen
- Policy Dimensions of Analytics in Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Review
- Privacy in an Era of Social Media, EDUCAUSE Podcast with danah boyd
- Sensitive and Regulated Data: Permitted and Restricted Uses, University of Michigan standard
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Privacy
- Cloud Computing Security: An Oxymoron?
October 14, 2010
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2010 Annual Conference
Many campuses have moved services into the cloud, and many more are considering it. As more information moves into the cloud, however, there are growing concerns about the safety of our data. Join …
- E-Mail: In or Out?
October 30, 2008
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2008 Annual Conference
E-mail is a critical yet expensive service to maintain. Students view it as a commodity and often criticize the functionality provided by in-house solutions. Hosted e-mail vendors offer free servic…