Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by Publications
- EDUCAUSE Publications [x]
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Federal Privacy Law [x]
- Privacy [x]
- Campus Policies (1)
- Campus Policy and Law (1)
- Cybersecurity (1)
- Data Administration and Management (1)
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (1)
- Federal Policy and Law (1)
- Information Systems and Services (1)
- Policy and Law (1)
- Privacy Policies (1)
- Security Management (1)
Data Privacy Month
January is Data Privacy Month! Spend the month helping to raise awareness on your campus about privacy issues, ranging from information security and protecting personally identifiable information to how interacting with social media impacts privacy. Visit the Data Privacy Month 2013 webpage for examples of campus activities, as well as archived recordings of previous webinars.
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Privacy Resources
- Center for Democracy and Technology (CDT)
- Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF)
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC)
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Bureau of Consumer Protection: Privacy and Security
- United States Department of Education's Family Policy Compliance Office (FCPO) (the "FERPA Office")
EDUCAUSE Staff Picks
- 7 Things You Should Know About Privacy In Web 2.0 Learning Environments, ELI 7 Things You Should Know
- 2012 Top Ten IT Issues Reflect Privacy, Security, and Compliance Challenges, EDUCAUSE Blog by Rodney Petersen
- Policy Dimensions of Analytics in Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Review
- Privacy in an Era of Social Media, EDUCAUSE Podcast with danah boyd
- Sensitive and Regulated Data: Permitted and Restricted Uses, University of Michigan standard
InCommon will be heavily involved in a $1.8 million grant awarded to Internet2 to build a consistent and robust privacy infrastructure. Partners include Carnegie Mellon, Brown, University of Texas...
Virginia Tech has become the first identity provider to achieve Bronze and Silver certification as part of the InCommon Assurance Program.
The annual EDUCAUSE Conference in Denver will provide an opportunity to explore the range and depth of issues that campuses must consider as they build...
Find a variety of E12 security and privacy-related sessions in Denver or online.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Privacy
Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Results
- Privacy and the Handling of Student Information in the Electronic Networked Environments of Colleges and Universities
January 1, 1997
The paper identifies the privacy challenges and opportunities of technology advances, presents a set of primary principles that underlie fair information practices, and recommends a process whereby…