Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Presentations and Seminars [x]
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Data Security [x]
- Privacy [x]
- Security Implementation [x]
- Campus Policies (3)
- Campus Policy and Law (3)
- Cybersecurity (3)
- Policy and Law (3)
- Security Management (3)
- Security Policies (3)
- Security Risk Assessment and Analysis (3)
- Data Classification Policies (2)
- Security Awareness (2)
- Security Planning (2)
- Authentication (1)
- Identity and Access Management (1)
Data Privacy Month
January is Data Privacy Month! Spend the month helping to raise awareness on your campus about privacy issues, ranging from information security and protecting personally identifiable information to how interacting with social media impacts privacy. Visit the Data Privacy Month 2013 webpage for examples of campus activities, as well as archived recordings of previous webinars.
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
Other Privacy Resources
- Center for Democracy and Technology (CDT)
- Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF)
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC)
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Bureau of Consumer Protection: Privacy and Security
- United States Department of Education's Family Policy Compliance Office (FCPO) (the "FERPA Office")
EDUCAUSE Staff Picks
- 7 Things You Should Know About Privacy In Web 2.0 Learning Environments, ELI 7 Things You Should Know
- 2012 Top Ten IT Issues Reflect Privacy, Security, and Compliance Challenges, EDUCAUSE Blog by Rodney Petersen
- Policy Dimensions of Analytics in Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Review
- Privacy in an Era of Social Media, EDUCAUSE Podcast with danah boyd
- Sensitive and Regulated Data: Permitted and Restricted Uses, University of Michigan standard
InCommon will be heavily involved in a $1.8 million grant awarded to Internet2 to build a consistent and robust privacy infrastructure. Partners include Carnegie Mellon, Brown, University of Texas...
Virginia Tech has become the first identity provider to achieve Bronze and Silver certification as part of the InCommon Assurance Program.
The annual EDUCAUSE Conference in Denver will provide an opportunity to explore the range and depth of issues that campuses must consider as they build...
Find a variety of E12 security and privacy-related sessions in Denver or online.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Privacy
- Security and Privacy Lightning Round
October 30, 2008
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2008 Annual Conference
Authenticated Guest Wireless Access: Simplicity and Security Christopher Keslar, University of Pittsburgh The need for guest access is growing as more campuses provide wireless coverage. Th…
- Seminar 3P - A Blueprint for Handling Sensitive Data: Security, Privacy, and Other Considerations PLEASE NOTE: Separate registration and fee are required to attend this seminar.
March 19, 2007
A session at the NERCOMP Annual Conference 2007
Information security risks at colleges and universities present challenging legal, policy, technical, and operational issues. According to a recent study by the EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Re…
- A Blueprint for Handling Sensitive Data: Security, Privacy, and Other Considerations
January 1, 2007
Information security risks at colleges and universities present challenging legal, policy, technical, and operational issues. According to a recent study by the EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Res…