Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Presentations
Data Privacy Month
Data Privacy Month (DPM) is an annual effort to empower people to protect their privacy and control their digital footprint, as well as escalate the protection of privacy and data as everyone's priority. Data Privacy Month will be celebrated in 2014 starting with Data Privacy Day on January 28 and running through February 28. Spend the month helping to ensure your campus community is respecting privacy, safeguarding data, and enabling trust. Visit the Data Privacy Month website for examples of campus activities, as well as archived recordings of previous webinars. It's never to early to begin planning your institution's efforts!
Privacy in a Networked Environment
With the explosive growth of electronic networks and wide accessibility of online information, EDUCAUSE members -- along with many other higher education constituencies -- are dealing with a formidable set of privacy issues. A key set of issues revolves around the handling of student information, which under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 enjoys special protection.
- Just in Time Research: Privacy Practices, The poll was intended to collect a quick snapshot of the higher education community’s thoughts on this important topic during Data Privacy Month.
- 7 Things You Should Know About Privacy In Web 2.0 Learning Environments, ELI 7 Things You Should Know
- 2012 Top Ten IT Issues Reflect Privacy, Security, and Compliance Challenges, EDUCAUSE Blog by Rodney Petersen
- Policy Dimensions of Analytics in Higher Education, EDUCAUSE Review
- Privacy in an Era of Social Media, EDUCAUSE Podcast with danah boyd
Additional Privacy Resources
- Center for Democracy and Technology (CDT)
- Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF)
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC)
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Bureau of Consumer Protection: Privacy and Security
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- United States Department of Education's Family Policy Compliance Office (FCPO) (the "FERPA Office")
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Privacy
- Changing Mind-Sets in Academia: How ISOs Can Leverage Faculty to Improve Privacy and Security
April 14, 2010
A session at the Security 2010
While academia is often characterized as a cybersecurity risk to other critical infrastructures because of its values of openness and its lack of centralized control, it is also a national treasure…
- Seminar 3P - A Blueprint for Handling Sensitive Data: Security, Privacy, and Other Considerations PLEASE NOTE: Separate registration and fee are required to attend this seminar.
March 19, 2007
A session at the NERCOMP Annual Conference 2007
Information security risks at colleges and universities present challenging legal, policy, technical, and operational issues. According to a recent study by the EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Re…