Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
EDUCAUSE IT Governance, Risk, and Compliance Program
Governance, risk, and compliance (GRC) issues increasingly pervade higher education information technology. As institutional investment in IT and reliance on information systems have grown, so has the need for reliable structures and measures to ensure success and minimize failure.
IT GRC programs develop a framework for the leadership, organization, and operation of an institution's IT programs. This framework can be used by IT staff to ensure that their programs support and enable the institution's strategic objectives. The EDUCAUSE IT GRC program provides resources that help you define and implement IT GRC activities on your own campus.
A member advisory board, member working groups, and representatives from complementary organizations advise EDUCAUSE in the development of best practices, toolkits, and case studies. EDUCAUSE-conducted research will benchmark how higher education institutions are currently approaching IT GRC practices. New resources will be added to this page as they are developed.
To learn more or to contribute to the higher education IT GRC body of knowledge, contact us at GRC@educause.edu
- IT Governance, Risk, and Compliance in Higher Education, ECAR Research Study, June 2014. This study benchmarks how higher education institutions are approaching IT GRC practices. (ECAR Subscription Required)
- Leveraging Enterprise Risk Management: Opportunity for Greater Relevance, EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013. Even though enterprise risk management (ERM) engages the entire higher education institution, IT organizations have an opportunity to use ERM to move beyond a services function toward providing strategic value to the institution.
- Learning While Doing: Two Institutions’ Practical IT Risk Management Experiences, ECAR Research Bulletin, July 29, 2013.
- Top-10 IT Issues, Policy Implications, and Managing Risk, EDUCAUSE Blog, June 24, 2013.
- IT Risk Management: Try This Exercise at Your Institution, EDUCAUSE Review Online, June 30, 2013.
- IT Risk Management Poll Results, April 2013.
- Managing IT Risk in Higher Education: A Methodology, ECAR Research Bulletin, March 18, 2008.
- Governance, Risk, and Compliance: Why Now? EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013. Governance, risk, and compliance (GRC) programs intend to develop a framework for the leadership, organization, and operation of the institution's IT areas to ensure that those areas support and enable the institution's strategic objectives.
- The Foundations of a High-Performance ITS Organization, EDUCAUSE Live! May 2014. This webinar explores how to develop a framework for an IT strategic planning process and implement it, how to design a governance structure for Project Portfolio Management and implement a PPM model, and how to implement a process to craft vision and mission statements for the organization.
- Speaking the Same Language: Building a Data Governance Program for Institutional Impact, EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013.
- Starting the Conversation: University-wide Research Data Management Policy, EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013.
- Boston University Information Services and Technology Governance Model, October 10, 2013,
- Making the Case for the Information Strategy, ECAR Bulletin. September 6, 2011.
- Leading the Higher Education IT Organization: Six Building Blocks of Success, EDUCAUSE Review, May 31, 2011.
- Making IT Governance Work, ECAR Bulletin, October 5, 2010.
- Decentralized IT Governance and Policy in Higher Education, ECAR Research Bulletin, March 10, 2009.
- Process and Politics: IT Governance in Higher Education, ECAR Research Report, July 21, 2008.
- Queensland University of Technology: Three Generations of IT Governance (and Counting), ECAR Case Study, July 25, 2008.
- Reforming IT Governance at Berkeley: Introducing an Enterprise Perspective to a Decentralized Organization, ECAR Case Study, July 25, 2008
- From 2004-2012 IT governance was in various positions of the EDUCAUSE top ten issues, http://www.educause.edu/educause/visualizations/vis1/index.html
For additional resources see the library Items tab on the "IT Governance" page
- Higher Education IT Compliance through the Prism of Risk Controls,EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013. Only through collaborative compliance and risk discussions can appropriate decisions be made about both the everyday activities and the transformative new technologies that are or will be available to the higher education institution of 2020.
- Higher Education Information Security Council, Information Security Guide, Compliance Chapter, EDUCAUSE/Internet2
- Privacy, Security, and Compliance: Strange Bedfellows, or a Marriage Made in Heaven?, EDUCAUSE Review, January 28, 2013.
- The Policy Process Life Cycle, EDUCAUSE Review, March 20, 2009.
- Higher Education Compliance Alliance, was created by the National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA), in partnership with thirty other higher education associations, to provide the higher education community with a centralized repository of information and resources for compliance with federal laws and regulations.
For additional resources see the library Items tab on the "Compliance" page
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Risk Management
- HEISC Town Hall Webinar: 2012-2013 Strategic Plan
January 9, 2012
In this webinar, the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC) discussed the following topics; Information security changes in the past 10 years Ongoing challenges for sec…
- Information Risk Management Policy Template
March 17, 2008
The purpose of this policy template is to ensure that risks to University information are identified, analyzed, and managed so that they are maintained at acceptable levels. Risks to the confiden…
- Risk Management Framework
January 1, 2006
In recent years, higher education institutions have recognized the importance of developing and implementing strategies to manage information risk. Proper information risk management now translat…
- A Systematic, Comprehensive Approach to Information Security
July 6, 2005
Information security is a process of business risk management that must be performed on an ongoing basis. It is critical to take an approach to information security that examines the risks and s…
- E07 Podcast: An Interview with Cedric Bennett - Security Concerns and Risk Management
November 1, 2007
In this fifteen minute podcast, we feature an interview with Cedric Bennett , Emeritus Director for Information Security Services at Stanford University. Mr. Bennett also serves on the EDUCAUS…
- 2007 Enterprise Conference: The Adaptable University
June 15, 2007
This podcast features a keynote address from the 2007 Enterprise Conference in Chicago, Illinois. Our speaker is H. David Lambert , Vice President for Information Services and Chief Informatio…
- Foundations for Effective Security Risk and Program Assessment
April 13, 2010
A session at the Security 2010
How does an institution assess the risks and effectiveness of something as multifaceted and complex as its risk management and information security programs? An assessment methodology must be valid…
- GSU's Roadmap for a World-Class Information Security Management System: ISO 27001:2005
October 24, 2007
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2007 Annual Conference
Georgia State University is one of the first universities to embrace the ISO 27001:2005 standard for establishing an information security management system (ISMS). A systematic and disciplined appr…
- Institutional Insurance: Creating a Comprehensive Campus-Wide IT Security Risk Management Program
January 13, 2005
A session at the EDUCAUSE Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference 2005
University departments must understand what security risks exist in their IT environment and how to reduce or eliminate them. This session explains the University of Virginia's comprehensive, …