Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
EDUCAUSE IT Governance, Risk, and Compliance Program
Governance, risk, and compliance (GRC) issues increasingly pervade higher education information technology. As institutional investment in IT and reliance on information systems have grown, so has the need for reliable structures and measures to ensure success and minimize failure.
IT GRC programs develop a framework for the leadership, organization, and operation of an institution's IT programs. This framework can be used by IT staff to ensure that their programs support and enable the institution's strategic objectives. The EDUCAUSE IT GRC program provides resources that help you define and implement IT GRC activities on your own campus.
A member advisory board, member working groups, and representatives from complementary organizations advise EDUCAUSE in the development of best practices, toolkits, and case studies. EDUCAUSE-conducted research will benchmark how higher education institutions are currently approaching IT GRC practices. New resources will be added to this page as they are developed.
To learn more or to contribute to the higher education IT GRC body of knowledge, contact us at GRC@educause.edu
- IT Governance, Risk, and Compliance in Higher Education, ECAR Research Study, June 2014. This study benchmarks how higher education institutions are approaching IT GRC practices. (ECAR Subscription Required)
- Leveraging Enterprise Risk Management: Opportunity for Greater Relevance, EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013. Even though enterprise risk management (ERM) engages the entire higher education institution, IT organizations have an opportunity to use ERM to move beyond a services function toward providing strategic value to the institution.
- Learning While Doing: Two Institutions’ Practical IT Risk Management Experiences, ECAR Research Bulletin, July 29, 2013.
- Top-10 IT Issues, Policy Implications, and Managing Risk, EDUCAUSE Blog, June 24, 2013.
- IT Risk Management: Try This Exercise at Your Institution, EDUCAUSE Review Online, June 30, 2013.
- IT Risk Management Poll Results, April 2013.
- Managing IT Risk in Higher Education: A Methodology, ECAR Research Bulletin, March 18, 2008.
- Governance, Risk, and Compliance: Why Now? EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013. Governance, risk, and compliance (GRC) programs intend to develop a framework for the leadership, organization, and operation of the institution's IT areas to ensure that those areas support and enable the institution's strategic objectives.
- The Foundations of a High-Performance ITS Organization, EDUCAUSE Live! May 2014. This webinar explores how to develop a framework for an IT strategic planning process and implement it, how to design a governance structure for Project Portfolio Management and implement a PPM model, and how to implement a process to craft vision and mission statements for the organization.
- Speaking the Same Language: Building a Data Governance Program for Institutional Impact, EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013.
- Starting the Conversation: University-wide Research Data Management Policy, EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013.
- Boston University Information Services and Technology Governance Model, October 10, 2013,
- Making the Case for the Information Strategy, ECAR Bulletin. September 6, 2011.
- Leading the Higher Education IT Organization: Six Building Blocks of Success, EDUCAUSE Review, May 31, 2011.
- Making IT Governance Work, ECAR Bulletin, October 5, 2010.
- Decentralized IT Governance and Policy in Higher Education, ECAR Research Bulletin, March 10, 2009.
- Process and Politics: IT Governance in Higher Education, ECAR Research Report, July 21, 2008.
- Queensland University of Technology: Three Generations of IT Governance (and Counting), ECAR Case Study, July 25, 2008.
- Reforming IT Governance at Berkeley: Introducing an Enterprise Perspective to a Decentralized Organization, ECAR Case Study, July 25, 2008
- From 2004-2012 IT governance was in various positions of the EDUCAUSE top ten issues, http://www.educause.edu/educause/visualizations/vis1/index.html
For additional resources see the library Items tab on the "IT Governance" page
- Higher Education IT Compliance through the Prism of Risk Controls,EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013. Only through collaborative compliance and risk discussions can appropriate decisions be made about both the everyday activities and the transformative new technologies that are or will be available to the higher education institution of 2020.
- Higher Education Information Security Council, Information Security Guide, Compliance Chapter, EDUCAUSE/Internet2
- Privacy, Security, and Compliance: Strange Bedfellows, or a Marriage Made in Heaven?, EDUCAUSE Review, January 28, 2013.
- The Policy Process Life Cycle, EDUCAUSE Review, March 20, 2009.
- Higher Education Compliance Alliance, was created by the National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA), in partnership with thirty other higher education associations, to provide the higher education community with a centralized repository of information and resources for compliance with federal laws and regulations.
For additional resources see the library Items tab on the "Compliance" page
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Risk Management
- In Online Partnerships, Legal Compliance Is Key
June 17, 2013
"Colleges need to be aware of their own risks and to create agreements that protect against liability when entering into partnerships with online-education providers." …
- EDUCAUSE Response to NIST RFI: Developing a Framework to Improve Critical Infrastructure Cybersecurity
April 9, 2013
The Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC), hosted by EDUCAUSE and Internet2, is pleased to submit comments to the NIST Request For Information on Developing a Framework to Improve…
- Application Security for Management, Project Managers, and Architects
March 25, 2011
Although Web application security is gradually improving, many project leaders, vendors, and programmers are still unaware of vulnerabilities that can expose confidential institutional data, allo…
- Application Security for Database Administrators
March 25, 2011
Applying multi-layer security to protect sensitive or confidential data is the focus of most application security efforts. Inventorying and securing sensitive data and all applications, software …
- Identity Finder Case Study
June 21, 2010
The University of Pennsylvania enacted a comprehensive Social Security Number policy in May of 2007. The stated purpose of the policy was to protect social security numbers by eliminating them, c…
- Identity Assurance at Virginia Tech
March 23, 2010
In June, 2008, the Virginia Tech Board of Visitors passed a resolution on increasing administrative efficiencies through expansion of automated systems and enhanced security. The resolution charg…
- IT Security Information - IT Risk Management
January 11, 2008
The CU-Boulder IT Security Office has developed a risk management framework and risk assessment service to meet campus needs in identifying and mitigating IT related risk. The risk management fra…
- Risk Management and Cyber Insurance
October 7, 2007
The Internet has radically changed the way business (work and personal) is carried out. However, vulnerabilities are pervasive resulting in exposure of organizations and firms to a wide array of …
- Information Technology Sector Baseline Risk Assessment
August 28, 2009
The IT Sector Baseline Risk Assessment evaluates risk to the IT Sector and focuses on critical IT Sector functions. The assessment methodology is not intended to be guidance for individual entiti…
- Taking a critical look at common support scenarios for open source software
November 15, 2008
Deciding whether to go with a particular open source product is an exercise in risk management: understanding the risks of your possible actions and choices, calculating when a certain level of r…