Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
EDUCAUSE IT Governance, Risk, and Compliance Program
Governance, risk, and compliance (GRC) issues increasingly pervade higher education information technology. As institutional investment in IT and reliance on information systems have grown, so has the need for reliable structures and measures to ensure success and minimize failure.
IT GRC programs develop a framework for the leadership, organization, and operation of an institution's IT programs. This framework can be used by IT staff to ensure that their programs support and enable the institution's strategic objectives. The EDUCAUSE IT GRC program provides resources that help you define and implement IT GRC activities on your own campus.
A member advisory board, member working groups, and representatives from complementary organizations advise EDUCAUSE in the development of best practices, toolkits, and case studies. EDUCAUSE-conducted research will benchmark how higher education institutions are currently approaching IT GRC practices. New resources will be added to this page as they are developed.
To learn more or to contribute to the higher education IT GRC body of knowledge, contact us at GRC@educause.edu
- Leveraging Enterprise Risk Management: Opportunity for Greater Relevance, EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013. Even though enterprise risk management (ERM) engages the entire higher education institution, IT organizations have an opportunity to use ERM to move beyond a services function toward providing strategic value to the institution.
- Learning While Doing: Two Institutions’ Practical IT Risk Management Experiences, ECAR Research Bulletin, July 29, 2013.
- Top-10 IT Issues, Policy Implications, and Managing Risk, EDUCAUSE Blog, June 24, 2013.
- IT Risk Management: Try This Exercise at Your Institution, EDUCAUSE Review Online, June 30, 2013.
- IT Risk Management Poll Results, April 2013.
- Managing IT Risk in Higher Education: A Methodology, ECAR Research Bulletin, March 18, 2008.
- Governance, Risk, and Compliance: Why Now? EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013. Governance, risk, and compliance (GRC) programs intend to develop a framework for the leadership, organization, and operation of the institution's IT areas to ensure that those areas support and enable the institution's strategic objectives.
- Speaking the Same Language: Building a Data Governance Program for Institutional Impact, EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013.
- Starting the Conversation: University-wide Research Data Management Policy, EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013.
- Boston University Information Services and Technology Governance Model, October 10, 2013,
- Making the Case for the Information Strategy, ECAR Bulletin. September 6, 2011.
- Leading the Higher Education IT Organization: Six Building Blocks of Success, EDUCAUSE Review, May 31, 2011.
- Making IT Governance Work, ECAR Bulletin, October 5, 2010.
- Decentralized IT Governance and Policy in Higher Education, ECAR Research Bulletin, March 10, 2009.
- Process and Politics: IT Governance in Higher Education, ECAR Research Report, July 21, 2008.
- Queensland University of Technology: Three Generations of IT Governance (and Counting), ECAR Case Study, July 25, 2008.
- Reforming IT Governance at Berkeley: Introducing an Enterprise Perspective to a Decentralized Organization, ECAR Case Study, July 25, 2008
- From 2004-2012 IT governance was in various positions of the EDUCAUSE top ten issues, http://www.educause.edu/educause/visualizations/vis1/index.html
For additional resources see the library Items tab on the "IT Governance" page
- Higher Education IT Compliance through the Prism of Risk Controls,EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013. Only through collaborative compliance and risk discussions can appropriate decisions be made about both the everyday activities and the transformative new technologies that are or will be available to the higher education institution of 2020.
- Higher Education Information Security Council, Information Security Guide, Compliance Chapter, EDUCAUSE/Internet2
- Privacy, Security, and Compliance: Strange Bedfellows, or a Marriage Made in Heaven?, EDUCAUSE Review, January 28, 2013.
- The Policy Process Life Cycle, EDUCAUSE Review, March 20, 2009.
- Higher Education Compliance Alliance, was created by the National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA), in partnership with thirty other higher education associations, to provide the higher education community with a centralized repository of information and resources for compliance with federal laws and regulations.
For additional resources see the library Items tab on the "Compliance" page
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Risk Management
- Comparing Methodologies for IT Risk Assessment and Analysis
March 7, 2014
This Gartner report can help institutions identify the most appropriate IT risk management methodology . It summarizes common IT risk management methodologies, highlighting attributes …
- IT Governance, Risk, and Compliance in Higher Education
March 18, 2014
Research Objectives Characterize the current culture of IT risk and compliance in higher education. Analyze aspects of IT governance involving ownership, authority, decision-making,…
- Learning While Doing: Two Institutions’ Practical IT Risk Management Experiences
July 29, 2013
IT risk management identifies, assesses, and responds to IT risks. Effective IT risk management examines issues such as institutional use of data , IT security measures to prevent or…
- Information Systems Risk Assessment
July 24, 2012
This Spotlight bulletin focuses on 2011 CDS survey results related to information systems (IS) risk assessments. Research findings and industry experience demonstrate that conducting a …
- Information Technology Services in Community Colleges: Strengths, Opportunities, and Challenges
July 17, 2012
This report is the product of a secondary analysis of the EDUCAUSE 2011 Core Data Service survey and the 2011 ECAR National Study of Undergraduate Students and Information Technology . Data fr…
- Practical Strategies for Managing Risk in Cloud Computing
March 1, 2011
This ECAR research bulletin identifies some key principles on which to base decisions related to security assurance and compliance capabilities in cloud computing environments. It also illustrate…
- Managing Availability and Performance Risks in the Cloud: Expect the Unexpected
December 7, 2010
We know that the best way to avoid cloud risks is to apply sound risk management strategies before placing applications and IT services in the cloud. Some risks, however, cannot be predetermined …
- Making IT Governance Work
October 5, 2010
This ECAR research bulletin details the strategic approach to IT governance currently in practice at Nottingham Trent University in the UK. With applicability to higher education institutions gl…
- Securing Institutional Data: Let’s Make It Everyone’s Business
May 5, 2009
This ECAR research bulletin discusses the costs of preventing data loss in terms of people, processes, and technology. It focuses on principles to guide decision making in higher education and …
- Hazards and Hurricanes: Hallmarks of IT Readiness, Response, and Recovery
October 14, 2008
This ECAR research bulletin provides five hallmarks for IT readiness, response, and recovery in the face of a devastating natural disaster. It is based on an ECAR interview with the deputy CIO of…