Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
EDUCAUSE IT Governance, Risk, and Compliance Program
Governance, risk, and compliance (GRC) issues increasingly pervade higher education information technology. As institutional investment in IT and reliance on information systems have grown, so has the need for reliable structures and measures to ensure success and minimize failure.
IT GRC programs develop a framework for the leadership, organization, and operation of an institution's IT programs. This framework can be used by IT staff to ensure that their programs support and enable the institution's strategic objectives. The EDUCAUSE IT GRC program provides resources that help you define and implement IT GRC activities on your own campus.
A member advisory board, member working groups, and representatives from complementary organizations advise EDUCAUSE in the development of best practices, toolkits, and case studies. EDUCAUSE-conducted research will benchmark how higher education institutions are currently approaching IT GRC practices. New resources will be added to this page as they are developed.
To learn more or to contribute to the higher education IT GRC body of knowledge, contact us at GRC@educause.edu
- IT Governance, Risk, and Compliance in Higher Education, ECAR Research Study, June 2014. This study benchmarks how higher education institutions are approaching IT GRC practices. (ECAR Subscription Required)
- Leveraging Enterprise Risk Management: Opportunity for Greater Relevance, EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013. Even though enterprise risk management (ERM) engages the entire higher education institution, IT organizations have an opportunity to use ERM to move beyond a services function toward providing strategic value to the institution.
- Learning While Doing: Two Institutions’ Practical IT Risk Management Experiences, ECAR Research Bulletin, July 29, 2013.
- Top-10 IT Issues, Policy Implications, and Managing Risk, EDUCAUSE Blog, June 24, 2013.
- IT Risk Management: Try This Exercise at Your Institution, EDUCAUSE Review Online, June 30, 2013.
- IT Risk Management Poll Results, April 2013.
- Managing IT Risk in Higher Education: A Methodology, ECAR Research Bulletin, March 18, 2008.
- Governance, Risk, and Compliance: Why Now? EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013. Governance, risk, and compliance (GRC) programs intend to develop a framework for the leadership, organization, and operation of the institution's IT areas to ensure that those areas support and enable the institution's strategic objectives.
- The Foundations of a High-Performance ITS Organization, EDUCAUSE Live! May 2014. This webinar explores how to develop a framework for an IT strategic planning process and implement it, how to design a governance structure for Project Portfolio Management and implement a PPM model, and how to implement a process to craft vision and mission statements for the organization.
- Speaking the Same Language: Building a Data Governance Program for Institutional Impact, EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013.
- Starting the Conversation: University-wide Research Data Management Policy, EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013.
- Boston University Information Services and Technology Governance Model, October 10, 2013,
- Making the Case for the Information Strategy, ECAR Bulletin. September 6, 2011.
- Leading the Higher Education IT Organization: Six Building Blocks of Success, EDUCAUSE Review, May 31, 2011.
- Making IT Governance Work, ECAR Bulletin, October 5, 2010.
- Decentralized IT Governance and Policy in Higher Education, ECAR Research Bulletin, March 10, 2009.
- Process and Politics: IT Governance in Higher Education, ECAR Research Report, July 21, 2008.
- Queensland University of Technology: Three Generations of IT Governance (and Counting), ECAR Case Study, July 25, 2008.
- Reforming IT Governance at Berkeley: Introducing an Enterprise Perspective to a Decentralized Organization, ECAR Case Study, July 25, 2008
- From 2004-2012 IT governance was in various positions of the EDUCAUSE top ten issues, http://www.educause.edu/educause/visualizations/vis1/index.html
For additional resources see the library Items tab on the "IT Governance" page
- Higher Education IT Compliance through the Prism of Risk Controls,EDUCAUSE Review, December 6, 2013. Only through collaborative compliance and risk discussions can appropriate decisions be made about both the everyday activities and the transformative new technologies that are or will be available to the higher education institution of 2020.
- Higher Education Information Security Council, Information Security Guide, Compliance Chapter, EDUCAUSE/Internet2
- Privacy, Security, and Compliance: Strange Bedfellows, or a Marriage Made in Heaven?, EDUCAUSE Review, January 28, 2013.
- The Policy Process Life Cycle, EDUCAUSE Review, March 20, 2009.
- Higher Education Compliance Alliance, was created by the National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA), in partnership with thirty other higher education associations, to provide the higher education community with a centralized repository of information and resources for compliance with federal laws and regulations.
For additional resources see the library Items tab on the "Compliance" page
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Risk Management
- 2007 Enterprise Conference: The Adaptable University
June 15, 2007
This podcast features a keynote address from the 2007 Enterprise Conference in Chicago, Illinois. Our speaker is H. David Lambert , Vice President for Information Services and Chief Informatio…
- 7 Things You Should Know About Cloud Security
September 3, 2010
Cloud computing promises to provide considerable benefits for colleges and universities, including increased reliability and flexibility, with lower or more transparent costs. At the same time, c…
- A 10-Second Response: Integrating Your Campus Emergency Communications System
November 8, 2012
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2012
Bowdoin College is using existing systems and companies for an integrated three-part solution for emergency communication: (1) Cisco VoIP phones for an emergency intercom system, (2) security rad…
- A Successful Tool to Create Positive Change: Result of an IT Risk Assessment and Benchmark at Scandinavian Universities
October 21, 2005
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2005 Annual Conference
Current cost pressures, technology changes, and new requirements meant that changes were needed in the way IT was managed at Scandinavian universities. This session will present results from an IT …
- A Systematic, Comprehensive Approach to Information Security
July 6, 2005
Information security is a process of business risk management that must be performed on an ongoing basis. It is critical to take an approach to information security that examines the risks and s…
- A Tour of the Security Task Force's IT Risk Management Framework
April 21, 2009
A session at the Security 2009
No one can be oblivious to the data privacy and security risks that our institutions face these days. The real question is, what can we do about it? Most security experts agree that a fundamental s…
- Addressing Complex Security Threats Through Risk Management
May 6, 2008
A session at the Security 2008
In this session, we will address the current cybersecurity issues that are challenging higher education leaders today as they try to stay on top of the risks associated with attacks on information …
- Alternative IT Sourcing: A Discussion of Privacy, Security, and Risk
July 21, 2011
In this interview, three higher education privacy, security, and risk professionals discuss the common challenges and opportunities inherent in alternative IT sourcing. The sourcing of I…
- An Interview with Joy Hughes about Cybersecurity
November 2, 2005
This 28 minute podcast features comments from Joy Hughes about a range of topics involving cybersecurity. Listen in as Vidya and Joy delve into the challenges of policy, law, organizatio…
- Application Security for Database Administrators
March 25, 2011
Applying multi-layer security to protect sensitive or confidential data is the focus of most application security efforts. Inventorying and securing sensitive data and all applications, software …