Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Blogs [x]
Filter by Publications
Getting Started: Security Awareness
The Higher Education Information Security Council offers a variety of cybersecurity awareness resources for colleges and universities that can be adapted to fit the needs of your campus for campaigns during student orientations, National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM) each October, and throughout the year.
- Cybersecurity Awareness Resource Library
- Executive Security Awareness Resources
- Information Security Awareness Video & Poster Contest
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month (NCSAM) Resource Kit
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month (NCSAM) Sample Kit
- Security Awareness Quick Start Guide
- Security Awareness Detailed Instruction Manual
- Speakers Bureau
- CERT–Certified Computer Security Incident Handler
- CIPP (Certified Information Privacy Professional)
- CISA (Certified Information Systems Auditor)
- CISM (Certified Information Security Manager)
- CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional)
- CompTIA Security+
- CRISC (Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control)
- GIAC (Global Information Assurance Certification)
- Holistic Information Security Practitioner
- SSCP (Systems Security Certified Practitioner)
If you are a new CISO or new to the higher education community, we recommend checking out the Toolkit for New CISOs, a resource developed by members of the Higher Education Information Security Council.
If you would like to suggest additional security training or certification opportunities, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Security Awareness
- $500 Million in Higher Ed. Grants Involving OER Announced
September 21, 2012
Earlier this week, the U.S. Department of Labor announced the college and university winners of its second-round grants under the Trade Adjustment Assistance Community College and Career Trai…
- "100 to 100"
February 22, 2010
Julius Genachowski, Chairman of the FCC, seems to be on a pre-National Broadband Plan publicity tour. The plan, not to be officially released until March 17, has sprung a flourish of "leaks&…
- "Future of the Internet" Hearing Addresses Network Neutrality Issue
April 23, 2008
The Senate Commerce Committee held a full committee hearing regarding "The Future of the Internet" on April 22. Witnesses presented differing views on network neutrality regulations…
- "I haven't got all minute!"
November 5, 2013
At EDUCAUSE13’s opening general session, Sir Ken Robinson dropped many a funny line and entertaining anecdote—all while delivering a very direct message about how things have changed in our…
- "I'm Just Going to Walk the Earth"
January 14, 2014
You may have heard that I am stepping down from my CIO position at the University of Maryland. Assuming that you did, and that we’ve been acquainted over the years, you are probably wondering…
- "Linked open data" the key to the humanities' future?
September 28, 2011
Inside Higher Education posted an interesting article this morning on the increasing interest in and potential of the digital humanities ( http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2011/09/28/nati…
- "Open Source Reality": Douglas Rushkoff Examines the Effects of Open Source
July 1, 2008
Yesterday, popular culture commentator and "cyberpunk" Douglas Rushkoff gave a talk on "Open Source Reality" at the Library of Congress in Washington, DC. This lecture was a f…
- "Policy@EDU": Larry Clinton on Higher Education's Role in Cybersecurity
September 11, 2009
The September/October edition of EDUCAUSE Review focuses on an issue that is of great concern to the higher education community: cybersecurity. Internet Security Alliance CEO and President Larr…
- "Someone is going to write the software that eats higher education"
September 5, 2012
Kevin Carey, director of the New America Foundation’s education policy program and previously policy director at Education Sector, has actively engaged in the debates around the potential of te…
- "The Future of the Internet" Includes Policy Challenges and Social Dilemmas
December 24, 2008
The Pew Internet & American Life Project has issued its report based upon survey findings called "The Future of the Internet III." Technology stakeholders and critics were asked…