Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Blogs [x]
Filter by Publications
Learning science research and practical experience highlight the importance of interaction and engagement to successful learning. Active and collaborative learning environments are particularly effective for Net Generation learners. Games, simulations, group projects, and undergraduate research are among a number of models for interaction and engagement being explored.
Articles and Reports
Podcasts, Presentations and Videos
- The entire issue of the EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine, Volume 32, Number 4, 2009 is devoted to student engagement.
- Engaging Students with Engaging Tools, EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine, Volume 32, Number 4, 2009
- Learning Space Design with an Inclusive Planning Process Promotes User Engagement,EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine, Volume 32, Number 4, 2009
- Assessing the Future: E-Portfolio Trends, Uses, and Options in Higher Education, ECAR Bulletin, February 2009.
- Assessment for Improvement: Tracking Student Engagement Over Time, Annual Results 2009, National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE), November 2009
- ELI 7 Things You Should Know About...
- Games and Learning, March 2014
- Flipped Classrooms, August 2013
- Makerspaces, April 2013
- Next-Generation Presentation Tools, January 2010
- Google Wave, November 2009
- Live Question Tool, April 2009
- Alternate Reality Games, January 2009
- Ustream, October 2008
- Wii, July 2008
- Second Life, June 2008
- Digital Storytelling, January 2007
- Podcast: WMU's "Broncoland" is a Video Game for Student Success, This podcast features an interview with Kevin Abbott, project lead for 3D and interactive media at Western Michigan University, August 2013
- Continuous Improvement in Teaching and Learning: Open Learning Initiative (OLI) and Open Learning Net (OLnet), ELI Web Seminar, January 11, 2010
- Clickers and Peer Instruction: A Powerful Way to Improve Student Engagement and Learning, but Only If You Do It Right ELI Web Seminar, October 05, 2009
- GameQuest: Creating an Education Game Program for Higher Ed, presentation and podcast from the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, October 2008
- Digital Story Making: Understanding the Learner's Perspective, presentation and video from the ELI Annual Conference, January 2008
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Student Engagement and Interaction
- $500 Million in Higher Ed. Grants Involving OER Announced
September 21, 2012
Earlier this week, the U.S. Department of Labor announced the college and university winners of its second-round grants under the Trade Adjustment Assistance Community College and Career Trai…
- "100 to 100"
February 22, 2010
Julius Genachowski, Chairman of the FCC, seems to be on a pre-National Broadband Plan publicity tour. The plan, not to be officially released until March 17, has sprung a flourish of "leaks&…
- "Future of the Internet" Hearing Addresses Network Neutrality Issue
April 23, 2008
The Senate Commerce Committee held a full committee hearing regarding "The Future of the Internet" on April 22. Witnesses presented differing views on network neutrality regulations…
- "I haven't got all minute!"
November 5, 2013
At EDUCAUSE13’s opening general session, Sir Ken Robinson dropped many a funny line and entertaining anecdote—all while delivering a very direct message about how things have changed in our…
- "I'm Just Going to Walk the Earth"
January 14, 2014
You may have heard that I am stepping down from my CIO position at the University of Maryland. Assuming that you did, and that we’ve been acquainted over the years, you are probably wondering…
- "Linked open data" the key to the humanities' future?
September 28, 2011
Inside Higher Education posted an interesting article this morning on the increasing interest in and potential of the digital humanities ( http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2011/09/28/nati…
- "Open Source Reality": Douglas Rushkoff Examines the Effects of Open Source
July 1, 2008
Yesterday, popular culture commentator and "cyberpunk" Douglas Rushkoff gave a talk on "Open Source Reality" at the Library of Congress in Washington, DC. This lecture was a f…
- "Policy@EDU": Larry Clinton on Higher Education's Role in Cybersecurity
September 11, 2009
The September/October edition of EDUCAUSE Review focuses on an issue that is of great concern to the higher education community: cybersecurity. Internet Security Alliance CEO and President Larr…
- "Someone is going to write the software that eats higher education"
September 5, 2012
Kevin Carey, director of the New America Foundation’s education policy program and previously policy director at Education Sector, has actively engaged in the debates around the potential of te…
- "The Future of the Internet" Includes Policy Challenges and Social Dilemmas
December 24, 2008
The Pew Internet & American Life Project has issued its report based upon survey findings called "The Future of the Internet III." Technology stakeholders and critics were asked…