Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Teaching and Learning [x]
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (21)
- Instructional Technologies (12)
- Student Technology Use (9)
- Students (9)
- Collaboration (4)
- Distributed Computing (4)
- Faculty (4)
- Mobile Computing (4)
- Social Media (4)
- Virtual Community (4)
- Consortia (3)
- Financial Management (3)
- IT Funding (3)
- Instructional Design (3)
- Organizational Issues, Teaching and Learning (3)
- Partnerships (3)
- Resource Sharing (3)
- E-Learning (2)
- Staffing (2)
What are the three most important aspects of today’s student experience? Personalized learning, 24/7 access to technology, and online student services. In other words, it appears that higher education has adopted the old Burger King line, “Have it your way.” And students do. They no longer have to stand in line to register for classes, attend a class in person or even enter the library to do research. But the real question is, are schools and students utilizing the data collected in these information systems to make sure students are getting the most enhanced and personalized learning support for them to succeed? Not really, according to The ‘Personalization’ of Higher Education: Using Technology to Enhance the College Experience (Center for American Progress). In this brief, author Louis Soares finds more can be done and provides a series of technology innovation examples that are driving the “personalization” revolution in higher education, including recommendations for policymakers on how to facilitate this process. Institutions will need to put the core systems and infrastructure in place to transform student learning, but students will need to take responsibility too for their learning outcomes. In his article, “An Open Letter to Students: You're the Game Changer in Next-Generation Learning” (EDUCAUSE Review), Mark Milliron calls on students to step up to their responsibilities, claim their core rights, and push for more learning-centered, data-rich, and high-value educational pathways. In the end, both schools and students will need to take an active role to make the student experience the most successful and fulfilling educational experience to date.
- ECAR Study of Undergraduate Students and Information Technology, 2012. ECAR has surveyed undergraduate students annually since 2004 about technology in higher education. In 2012, ECAR collaborated with 195 institutions to collect responses from more than 100,000 students about their technology experiences.
- Service Blueprinting: Transforming the Student Experience, EDUCAUSE Review, November/December 2012. This article explains how the use of service design techniques such as service blueprinting supports a service-oriented view of higher education and aids in innovating and transforming the student experience.
- Leveraging Service Blueprinting to Rethink Higher Education, October 2011. This paper from the Center for American Progress takes the position that higher education is a service, or a service system, and that transformative initiatives aiming to address the types of problems noted earlier will benefit from viewing them through a service lens. A service lens puts the customer at the center of improvement and innovation initiatives, considers the customer experience to be a foundation for analyzing and making enhancements, and assumes the customer is a co-creator of value.
- Leading the Student Experience: Super-Convergence of Organisation, Structure and Business Processes, April 2012. This group of five case studies from the Leadership Foundation for Higher Education focuses on the U.K. higher education student experience.
- A Systems Approach: Expanding Access and Achieving Student Success through Support Services at Rio Salado College, March 2012. This report covers how Rio Salado College (RSC) in Tempe, Arizona, provides a full slate of support services to its online learners. The report was designed to capture the essence of a relatively large number of departments and initiatives that touch the faculty, staff, and students at RSC. It also describes the historic path that has brought RSC to where it is today: the largest public, nonprofit, online two-year college in the United States.
- From Insight to Action: Translating Student Voice into Education Transformation, EDUCAUSE Live! September 2012. Business Innovation Factory's Student Experience Lab has launched exploratory work during the past three years to bring the student experience to life in a new way in order to make the student voice more central to our conversation about transforming education.
- Podcast: An Urge to Make a Difference in the Lives of Students, March 2012. In this keynote from the EDUCAUSE 2012 Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference, Kathy Humphrey, vice provost and dean of students at the University of Pittsburgh, talks about helping the entire campus community dream of ways to enhance the college experience.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Student Experience
- ECAR 2011 Student Survey Crosswalk
October 14, 2011
In 2011, ECAR conducted two versions of its annual survey of undergraduates and information technology. This crosswalk compares questions in the two survey instruments: the February 2011 Stude…
- ECAR National Study of Undergraduate Students and Information Technology, 2011—Survey Questionnaire
October 14, 2011
This is the June 2011 ECAR survey instrument used for the ECAR National Study of Undergraduate Students and Information Technology, 2011 . The 2011 ECAR study was conducted in collaboration w…
- Students and Information Technology in Higher Education: 2011—Survey Questionnaire
February 28, 2011
This is the February 2011 ECAR survey instrument used for the ECAR research study of student information technology use and skills in higher education. Citation for This Work : EDUCAUSE C…
- Students and Information Technology in Higher Education: 2010 Survey Questionnaire
February 22, 2010
This is the February 2010 ECAR survey instrument used for the ECAR research study of student information technology use and skills in higher education. Citation for This Work : EDUCAUSE Cen…
- Classroom Technology Survey
December 9, 2009
Kyle Johnson posted an informal classroom technology survey query to the CIO list in November 2009, these are those results. Kyle Johnson posted …
- Pedagogical & Technological Support for Active Learning Classrooms
July 22, 2009
A survey to determine the pedagogical and technological supports available within the active learning classroom (ALC) environment was sent June 1, 2009. The invitation for survey responses (inclu…
- Institutional Data Management Survey
February 10, 2009
This February 2009 survey is a critical component of the EDUCAUSE Center on Applied Research (ECAR) study of institutional data management in higher education. For purposes of this study, institu…
- Students and Information Technology in Higher Education: 2009 Survey Questionnaire
February 23, 2009
This is the February 2009 ECAR survey instrument used for the ECAR research study of student information technology use and skills in higher education. Citation for This Work : EDUCAUSE Cen…
- Students and Information Technology in Higher Education 2008
February 15, 2008
This is the February 2008 ECAR survey instrument used for the ECAR research study of student information technology use and skills in higher education. …
- Cyberinfrastructure Resources and Practices: Survey Questionnaire
November 27, 2007
This November 2007 survey is a critical component of the EDUCAUSE Center on Applied Research (ECAR) study of cyberinfrastructure in higher education. It seeks to understand the perspectives of in…