Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports [x]
Filter by Publications
Because student success is contingent on retention, student persistence is a critical institutional focus. The use of technology (specifically, the LMS/CMS, coupled with learning analytics) has made student tracking and retention more efficient. Below are articles, presentations, and seminars that further discuss the growing use of technology to promote student retention.
- 2014 Student and Faculty Technology Research Studies, October 30, 2014. In this study, most students support institutional use of their data to advise them on academic progress in courses and programs. Many of the analytic functions students seek already exist in contemporary LMSs.
- Digital Engagement: Driving Student Success, EDUCAUSE Review Online, October 2014. A digital engagement strategy based on integrated student-centered uses of technology and collection of data has already shown its promise in improving student retention and graduation rates.
- Integrated Planning and Advising Services (IPAS) Benchmarking Study. ECAR Study in progress. IPAS is an integrative approach to student success that promotes shared ownership for educational progress among students, faculty, and staff. It encompasses services that help students formulate and advance toward educational goals, including advising, counseling, progress tracking, and academic early alerts. IPAS technologies can contribute in many ways, such as by documenting and tracking students’ educational plans, improving data analysis, offering self-service resources that reduce advisor workloads, and triggering interventions based on student behavior or faculty input.
- Building a Purpose Network to Increase Student Engagement and Retention, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 2012. Fort Hays State University partnered with ConnectEDU to with the purpose of improving student and parent engagement, increasing student retention rates, and tracking and collecting success metrics.
- Signals: Using Academic Analytics to Promote Student Success, EDUCAUSE Review Online, July 2012. Using existing student data and current grade information, Purdue University created Signals, a system that gives students early and frequent performance notifications and helps faculty members steer students toward additional campus resources as needed.
- Two Case Studies of Learner Analytics in the University System of Maryland, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 2012. In this article, The University of Maryland Eastern Shore describes actions it took to increase retention and graduation rates for an at-risk student population by using a dashboard that provides actual data as well as targets for key performance indicators specific to admission, retention, and progress toward graduation.
- The EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine, Volume 33, Number 4, 2010 largely focuses on the topic of student retention. A few articles of particular interest in this issue include;
- Enhancing Student Learning and Retention with Blended Learning Class Guides, EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine, Volume 33, Number 4, 2010
- How the ICCOC Uses Analytics to Increase Student Success, EDUCAUSEQuarterly Magazine, Volume 33, Number 4, 2010
- Defining IT’s Role in Mission-Critical Retention Initiatives, EDUCAUSEQuarterly Magazine, Volume 33, Number 4, 2010
- Sustaining Students: Retention Strategies in an Online Program, EDUCAUSEQuarterly Magazine, Volume 33, Number 4, 2010
Presentations and Seminars
- Improving Student Success with Analytics, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, October 2014. SUNY Oswego and VSU deployed different systems that provided valuable information about identification and support for at-risk students. This presentation will discuss why each university chose the products they did, their implementation process, and the results they have achieved so far.
- Student Success at Scale: What Have We Learned from Applying Technology to Persistent Challenges?, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, November 2012. The speaker presents the latest findings from multiple efforts to improve student engagement, learning, retention, and degree completion.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Student Retention
- Using Technology to Engage the Nontraditional Student
September 15, 2014
Higher education needs to focus on the success of nontraditional students, those who fail to graduate during their first engagement in college, by leveraging new technology solutions that bett…
- 2014 Student and Faculty Technology Research Studies
October 30, 2014
EDUCAUSE Technology Research in the Academic Community This research can catalyze conversations among IT professionals about how to better serve their constituents; among institutional leaders…
- Better Understanding through Data: Completion, Motivation, and Learning in Minnesota MOOCs
June 19, 2014
In the summer of 2013, faculty members at the University of Minnesota collaborated with staff from the university’s Office of Information Technology and provost’s office to deliver five massi…
- If You MAP the Way, They Will Follow
August 5, 2013
Key Takeaways My Academic Plan (MAP) — the latest tool in Sinclair Community College's Student Success Plan software suite — gives students a clear, individualized, …
- Completing College: A National View of Student Attainment Rates
November 15, 2012
In the fourth Signature Report , the authors examine the various pathways that students take to complete a college degree or certificate. This report goes beyond traditional graduation rate ca…
- Service Blueprinting: Transforming the Student Experience
November 1, 2012
Mary Jo Bitner is Professor of Marketing, PetSmart Chair, and Executive Director of the Center for Services Leadership in the W. P. Carey School of Business, Arizona State University. Amy L. O…
- Beyond Retention: Using Targeted Analytics to Improve Student Success
July 18, 2012
Loralyn Taylor is Director of Institutional Research and Registrar, and Virginia McAleese is Professor and Director, Academic Success Center, at Paul Smith’s College of…
- Analytics in Support of Student Retention and Success
April 10, 2012
Higher education is facing a variety of conflicting challenges. National and state competitiveness depend on a citizenry with postsecondary education. Large segments of the population traditional…
- 7 Things You Should Know About First-Generation Learning Analytics
December 6, 2011
Learning analytics (LA) applies the model of analytics to the specific goal of improving learning outcomes. LA collects and analyzes the “digital breadcrumbs” that students leave as th…
- The Student Success Plan: Case Management and Intervention Software
December 15, 2011
Key Takeaways Faced with student retention and college completion challenges , Sinclair Community College began a years-long plan to improve both . The Student Success…