Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Because student success is contingent on retention, student persistence is a critical institutional focus. The use of technology (specifically, the LMS/CMS, coupled with learning analytics) has made student tracking and retention more efficient. Below are articles, presentations, and seminars that further discuss the growing use of technology to promote student retention.
- 2014 Student and Faculty Technology Research Studies, October 30, 2014. In this study, most students support institutional use of their data to advise them on academic progress in courses and programs. Many of the analytic functions students seek already exist in contemporary LMSs.
- Digital Engagement: Driving Student Success, EDUCAUSE Review Online, October 2014. A digital engagement strategy based on integrated student-centered uses of technology and collection of data has already shown its promise in improving student retention and graduation rates.
- Integrated Planning and Advising Services (IPAS) Benchmarking Study. ECAR Study in progress. IPAS is an integrative approach to student success that promotes shared ownership for educational progress among students, faculty, and staff. It encompasses services that help students formulate and advance toward educational goals, including advising, counseling, progress tracking, and academic early alerts. IPAS technologies can contribute in many ways, such as by documenting and tracking students’ educational plans, improving data analysis, offering self-service resources that reduce advisor workloads, and triggering interventions based on student behavior or faculty input.
- Building a Purpose Network to Increase Student Engagement and Retention, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 2012. Fort Hays State University partnered with ConnectEDU to with the purpose of improving student and parent engagement, increasing student retention rates, and tracking and collecting success metrics.
- Signals: Using Academic Analytics to Promote Student Success, EDUCAUSE Review Online, July 2012. Using existing student data and current grade information, Purdue University created Signals, a system that gives students early and frequent performance notifications and helps faculty members steer students toward additional campus resources as needed.
- Two Case Studies of Learner Analytics in the University System of Maryland, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 2012. In this article, The University of Maryland Eastern Shore describes actions it took to increase retention and graduation rates for an at-risk student population by using a dashboard that provides actual data as well as targets for key performance indicators specific to admission, retention, and progress toward graduation.
- The EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine, Volume 33, Number 4, 2010 largely focuses on the topic of student retention. A few articles of particular interest in this issue include;
- Enhancing Student Learning and Retention with Blended Learning Class Guides, EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine, Volume 33, Number 4, 2010
- How the ICCOC Uses Analytics to Increase Student Success, EDUCAUSEQuarterly Magazine, Volume 33, Number 4, 2010
- Defining IT’s Role in Mission-Critical Retention Initiatives, EDUCAUSEQuarterly Magazine, Volume 33, Number 4, 2010
- Sustaining Students: Retention Strategies in an Online Program, EDUCAUSEQuarterly Magazine, Volume 33, Number 4, 2010
Presentations and Seminars
- Improving Student Success with Analytics, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, October 2014. SUNY Oswego and VSU deployed different systems that provided valuable information about identification and support for at-risk students. This presentation will discuss why each university chose the products they did, their implementation process, and the results they have achieved so far.
- Student Success at Scale: What Have We Learned from Applying Technology to Persistent Challenges?, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, November 2012. The speaker presents the latest findings from multiple efforts to improve student engagement, learning, retention, and degree completion.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Student Retention
- 7 Things You Should Know About IPAS
November 5, 2014
IPAS is an institutional capability to create shared ownership for educational progress by providing students, faculty , and staff with holistic information and services that …
- Managing Data Risk in Student Success Systems: EDUCAUSE IPAS Summit Report
February 12, 2014
Student success has come into sharp focus for higher education. New models have emerged in response to outcome-based funding at the state level and a completion agenda at the national lev…
- Succeed You and Avenue Scholars Partnership: A Breakthrough Models Academy Design Meets the Real World
January 30, 2014
by Dr. Christine Pharr, College of Saint Mary If you want to attend a workshop that will keep you on the edge of your seat and challenge much of what you’ve ever believed about how to de…
- E2Coach: Tailoring Support for Students in Introductory STEM Courses
December 6, 2013
Key Takeaways Adopting technologies that deliver tailored text and data graphics to individual students brings public health insights about motivation and behavior change t…
- Improving Student Graduation Rates Using Data Insights and Predictive Modeling
December 16, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - Improving Student Graduation Rates Using Data Insights and Predictive Modeling
This session is a continuation of the conversation started at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference in Orlando on innovative initiatives to improve student retention. As part of an overall plan to improve…
- State of the Field: Learning Analytics and Educational Data Mining
August 5, 2013
The analysis of data generated through the learning process offers educators a new lens for assessing and supporting learners. Through analytics and data mining, researchers can discover which be…
- If You MAP the Way, They Will Follow
August 5, 2013
Key Takeaways My Academic Plan (MAP) — the latest tool in Sinclair Community College's Student Success Plan software suite — gives students a clear, individualized, …
- Scaling Learning Analytics across Institutions of Higher Education
May 8, 2013
T he Open Academic Analytics Initiative (OAAI) seeks to increase college student retention by performing early detection of academic risk using predictive analytics . OAAI e…
- Improving Student Success with Analytics
October 2, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference
SUNY Oswego and VSU deployed different systems that provided valuable information about identification and support for at-risk students. While SUNY Oswego implemented Starfish EARLY ALERT, VSU im…
- Building Organizational Capacity for Analytics
February 25, 2013
Optimizing student success is the “killer app” for analytics in higher education . Intelligent investments in optimizing student success garner wide support and have a strong, justifia…