Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Because student success is contingent on retention, student persistence is a critical institutional focus. The use of technology (specifically, the LMS/CMS, coupled with learning analytics) has made student tracking and retention more efficient. Below are articles, presentations, and seminars that further discuss the growing use of technology to promote student retention.
- 2014 Student and Faculty Technology Research Studies, October 30, 2014. In this study, most students support institutional use of their data to advise them on academic progress in courses and programs. Many of the analytic functions students seek already exist in contemporary LMSs.
- Digital Engagement: Driving Student Success, EDUCAUSE Review Online, October 2014. A digital engagement strategy based on integrated student-centered uses of technology and collection of data has already shown its promise in improving student retention and graduation rates.
- Integrated Planning and Advising Services (IPAS) Benchmarking Study. ECAR Study in progress. IPAS is an integrative approach to student success that promotes shared ownership for educational progress among students, faculty, and staff. It encompasses services that help students formulate and advance toward educational goals, including advising, counseling, progress tracking, and academic early alerts. IPAS technologies can contribute in many ways, such as by documenting and tracking students’ educational plans, improving data analysis, offering self-service resources that reduce advisor workloads, and triggering interventions based on student behavior or faculty input.
- Building a Purpose Network to Increase Student Engagement and Retention, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 2012. Fort Hays State University partnered with ConnectEDU to with the purpose of improving student and parent engagement, increasing student retention rates, and tracking and collecting success metrics.
- Signals: Using Academic Analytics to Promote Student Success, EDUCAUSE Review Online, July 2012. Using existing student data and current grade information, Purdue University created Signals, a system that gives students early and frequent performance notifications and helps faculty members steer students toward additional campus resources as needed.
- Two Case Studies of Learner Analytics in the University System of Maryland, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 2012. In this article, The University of Maryland Eastern Shore describes actions it took to increase retention and graduation rates for an at-risk student population by using a dashboard that provides actual data as well as targets for key performance indicators specific to admission, retention, and progress toward graduation.
- The EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine, Volume 33, Number 4, 2010 largely focuses on the topic of student retention. A few articles of particular interest in this issue include;
- Enhancing Student Learning and Retention with Blended Learning Class Guides, EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine, Volume 33, Number 4, 2010
- How the ICCOC Uses Analytics to Increase Student Success, EDUCAUSEQuarterly Magazine, Volume 33, Number 4, 2010
- Defining IT’s Role in Mission-Critical Retention Initiatives, EDUCAUSEQuarterly Magazine, Volume 33, Number 4, 2010
- Sustaining Students: Retention Strategies in an Online Program, EDUCAUSEQuarterly Magazine, Volume 33, Number 4, 2010
Presentations and Seminars
- Improving Student Success with Analytics, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, October 2014. SUNY Oswego and VSU deployed different systems that provided valuable information about identification and support for at-risk students. This presentation will discuss why each university chose the products they did, their implementation process, and the results they have achieved so far.
- Student Success at Scale: What Have We Learned from Applying Technology to Persistent Challenges?, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, November 2012. The speaker presents the latest findings from multiple efforts to improve student engagement, learning, retention, and degree completion.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Student Retention
- Benchmarking IT: A Global Approach
July 21, 2015
In order to facilitate cross-border comparisons appropriate for the global higher education business, it is necessary to have a way of comparing individual institutions with peers to start a conv…
- The 2014 Enterprise Application Market in Higher Education
July 20, 2015
The 2014 Enterprise Application Market reports from the EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research use data from the EDUCAUSE Core Data Service (CDS) to better understand how higher education inst…
- CDS Spotlight: Information Security
June 26, 2015
This research bulletin uses data from Modules 1 and 7 of the EDUCAUSE Core Data Service to examine the current state of information security in higher education. Using an infographic format, …
- 2015 Strategic Information Security Issues Infographic
April 24, 2015
Featuring data from the EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research and the EDUCAUSE Core Data Service, this infographic highlights the 2015 Top Information Security Strategic Issues selected by th…
- Technology in Higher Education: Defining the Strategic Leader
March 5, 2015
Information technology is so much the fabric of the university that its presence is often not fully recognized. The focus in the IT organization has shifted from a tactical to a strategic perspec…
- 2014 CDS Benchmarking Report
February 25, 2015
Traditionally, the Core Data Service annual report has summarized the state of higher education IT; however, the strength of CDS data are shown through their benchmarking capability. To serve…
- EDUCAUSE Core Data Service 2014 Almanacs
February 18, 2015
These two-page, easy-to-scan summaries distill CDS data in a variety of categories that include IT financials, staffing, and services, and many other service areas. All Non-Specialized U.S.…
- The 2013 Enterprise Application Market in Higher Education
November 20, 2014
ECAR CDS spotlights highlight findings from the EDUCAUSE Core Data Service, focusing on a small but meaningful slice of data collected in the CDS. This collection of ECAR CDS spotlights focuses…
- The Financial Management System: A Pivotal Tool for Fiscal Viability
October 13, 2014
This spotlight focuses on data from the 2013 CDS to better understand how higher education institutions approach financial management systems. Information provided for this spotlight was deri…
- Resources for Presidents and Senior Executives: Personalized Pathways
September 15, 2014
These executive briefs are designed to help institutional leaders optimize the impact of IT in higher education. The Foundations offer a framework for considering higher education’s mos…