Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Because student success is contingent on retention, student persistence is a critical institutional focus. The use of technology (specifically, the LMS/CMS, coupled with learning analytics) has made student tracking and retention more efficient. Below are articles, presentations, and seminars that further discuss the growing use of technology to promote student retention.
- 2014 Student and Faculty Technology Research Studies, October 30, 2014. In this study, most students support institutional use of their data to advise them on academic progress in courses and programs. Many of the analytic functions students seek already exist in contemporary LMSs.
- Digital Engagement: Driving Student Success, EDUCAUSE Review Online, October 2014. A digital engagement strategy based on integrated student-centered uses of technology and collection of data has already shown its promise in improving student retention and graduation rates.
- Integrated Planning and Advising Services (IPAS) Benchmarking Study. ECAR Study in progress. IPAS is an integrative approach to student success that promotes shared ownership for educational progress among students, faculty, and staff. It encompasses services that help students formulate and advance toward educational goals, including advising, counseling, progress tracking, and academic early alerts. IPAS technologies can contribute in many ways, such as by documenting and tracking students’ educational plans, improving data analysis, offering self-service resources that reduce advisor workloads, and triggering interventions based on student behavior or faculty input.
- Building a Purpose Network to Increase Student Engagement and Retention, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 2012. Fort Hays State University partnered with ConnectEDU to with the purpose of improving student and parent engagement, increasing student retention rates, and tracking and collecting success metrics.
- Signals: Using Academic Analytics to Promote Student Success, EDUCAUSE Review Online, July 2012. Using existing student data and current grade information, Purdue University created Signals, a system that gives students early and frequent performance notifications and helps faculty members steer students toward additional campus resources as needed.
- Two Case Studies of Learner Analytics in the University System of Maryland, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 2012. In this article, The University of Maryland Eastern Shore describes actions it took to increase retention and graduation rates for an at-risk student population by using a dashboard that provides actual data as well as targets for key performance indicators specific to admission, retention, and progress toward graduation.
- The EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine, Volume 33, Number 4, 2010 largely focuses on the topic of student retention. A few articles of particular interest in this issue include;
- Enhancing Student Learning and Retention with Blended Learning Class Guides, EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine, Volume 33, Number 4, 2010
- How the ICCOC Uses Analytics to Increase Student Success, EDUCAUSEQuarterly Magazine, Volume 33, Number 4, 2010
- Defining IT’s Role in Mission-Critical Retention Initiatives, EDUCAUSEQuarterly Magazine, Volume 33, Number 4, 2010
- Sustaining Students: Retention Strategies in an Online Program, EDUCAUSEQuarterly Magazine, Volume 33, Number 4, 2010
Presentations and Seminars
- Improving Student Success with Analytics, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, October 2014. SUNY Oswego and VSU deployed different systems that provided valuable information about identification and support for at-risk students. This presentation will discuss why each university chose the products they did, their implementation process, and the results they have achieved so far.
- Student Success at Scale: What Have We Learned from Applying Technology to Persistent Challenges?, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, November 2012. The speaker presents the latest findings from multiple efforts to improve student engagement, learning, retention, and degree completion.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Student Retention
- Navigating the Waters of Learning Analytics
July 24, 2012
Malcolm Brown, Director , and Veronica Diaz, Associate Director, EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative Navigating the waters of learning analytics (LA) requires steering a careful course between…
- On the Horizon: The Power and Potential of Analytics
July 23, 2012
“We are at the dawn of an era in which educators have the potential to harness technology to produce a dramatic change in student achievement. Although visionaries have been promising for y…
- Higher Education Innovation: Facilitating Global Access to the American Dream
February 3, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative Annual Meeting
"If you want the American dream, go to Finland," quipped Edward Miliband, the current leader of the British Labour Party. The "American Dream"—the notion that "life sho…
- Learning Analytics: A Report on the ELI Focus Session
May 9, 2012
On April 11 and 12, 2012, the ELI teaching and learning community gathered for an online focus session on learning analytics (LA) . This white paper is a synthesis of the key ideas, them…
- Strengthening Student Success: What Matters Most
May 7, 2012
Colleges and universities across the country are focusing efforts on improving student learning, persistence, and college completion. In a time of severe budget constraints, there is clear i…
- Case Study 10: Central Piedmont Community College: Online Student Profile Learning System
May 2, 2012
A case study from Game Changers Clint McElroy Introduction More people than ever are pursuing higher education in the United States. The increasing number of students attending c…
- Case Study 7: STAR: Using Technology to Enhance the Academic Journey
May 2, 2012
A case study from Game Changers Erika Lacro and Gary Rodwell Introduction Incorporating technology into education continues to be at the forefront of research focused on improvin…
- Analytics in Support of Student Retention and Success
April 10, 2012
Higher education is facing a variety of conflicting challenges. National and state competitiveness depend on a citizenry with postsecondary education. Large segments of the population traditional…
- ELI Releases New White Paper on Learning Analytics
May 10, 2012
ELI has released a new white paper, Learning Analytics: A Report on the ELI Focus Session , by Malcolm Brown, director, and Veronica Diaz, associate director, ELI. On April 11 a…
- Synthesis of the ELI 2012 Online Spring Focus Session
May 9, 2012
Just four weeks ago the ELI 2012 Online Spring Focus Session on learning analytics finished. One of the presenters and participants, Christopher Brooks, BSc, MSc of ARIES Laboratory, Univer…