Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Because student success is contingent on retention, student persistence is a critical institutional focus. The use of technology (specifically, the LMS/CMS, coupled with learning analytics) has made student tracking and retention more efficient. Below are articles, presentations, and seminars that further discuss the growing use of technology to promote student retention.
- Integrated Planning and Advising Services (IPAS) Benchmarking Study. ECAR Study in progress. IPAS is an integrative approach to student success that promotes shared ownership for educational progress among students, faculty, and staff. It encompasses services that help students formulate and advance toward educational goals, including advising, counseling, progress tracking, and academic early alerts. IPAS technologies can contribute in many ways, such as by documenting and tracking students’ educational plans, improving data analysis, offering self-service resources that reduce advisor workloads, and triggering interventions based on student behavior or faculty input.
- Building a Purpose Network to Increase Student Engagement and Retention, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 2012. Fort Hays State University partnered with ConnectEDU to with the purpose of improving student and parent engagement, increasing student retention rates, and tracking and collecting success metrics.
- Signals: Using Academic Analytics to Promote Student Success, EDUCAUSE Review Online, July 2012. Using existing student data and current grade information, Purdue University created Signals, a system that gives students early and frequent performance notifications and helps faculty members steer students toward additional campus resources as needed.
- Two Case Studies of Learner Analytics in the University System of Maryland, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 2012. In this article, The University of Maryland Eastern Shore describes actions it took to increase retention and graduation rates for an at-risk student population by using a dashboard that provides actual data as well as targets for key performance indicators specific to admission, retention, and progress toward graduation.
- The EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine, Volume 33, Number 4, 2010 largely focuses on the topic of student retention. A few articles of particular interest in this issue include;
- Enhancing Student Learning and Retention with Blended Learning Class Guides, EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine, Volume 33, Number 4, 2010
- How the ICCOC Uses Analytics to Increase Student Success, EDUCAUSEQuarterly Magazine, Volume 33, Number 4, 2010
- Defining IT’s Role in Mission-Critical Retention Initiatives, EDUCAUSEQuarterly Magazine, Volume 33, Number 4, 2010
- Sustaining Students: Retention Strategies in an Online Program, EDUCAUSEQuarterly Magazine, Volume 33, Number 4, 2010
Presentations and Seminars
- Student Success at Scale: What Have We Learned from Applying Technology to Persistent Challenges?, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, November 2012. The speaker presents the latest findings from multiple efforts to improve student engagement, learning, retention, and degree completion.
- Technology’s Role in the College Completion Agenda: An Introduction to Next Generation Learning Challenges, EDUCAUSE Live! December 3, 2010
- Success, Withdrawal, and Student Satisfaction When the Numbers are Very Large, ELI Annual Meeting, January 20, 2010
- Using Analytics to Intervene with Underperforming College Students, ELI Annual Meeting, January 20, 2010
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Student Retention
- ELI Releases New White Paper on Learning Analytics
May 10, 2012
ELI has released a new white paper, Learning Analytics: A Report on the ELI Focus Session , by Malcolm Brown, director, and Veronica Diaz, associate director, ELI. On April 11 a…
- Enhancing Retention: A Tool for Communication Between Faculty and Advisors
March 12, 2008
A session at the NERCOMP Annual Conference 2008
This presentation will demonstrate Northeastern University's new online CRM application to increase student retention through communication between faculty and advisors. This tool allows facul…
- Enhancing Student Learning and Retention with Blended Learning Class Guides
December 15, 2010
Key Takeaways Experience has shown that well-designed hybrid courses enhance student learning and increase student retention, even in large introductory science classes. Blended learnin…
- Ethics, Big Data, and Analytics: A Model for Application
May 6, 2013
The use of big data and analytics to predict student success presents unique ethical questions for higher education administrators relating to the nature of knowledge; in educatio…
- Evolving Beyond the Market Strategy Guessing Game with CRM and Web Analytics
November 7, 2012
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2012
Words like "assessing," "measuring," "evaluating," and "testing" are commonplace in academia's vernacular but rarely appear in conversations regarding…
- Fans and Fears of 'Lecture Capture'
November 9, 2009
Research says posting lectures online could improve learning without discouraging classroom attendance, yet some professors want no part of it. R…
- Field Guide for Improving Student Success
November 17, 2011
This guide provides an overview of Achieving the Dream’s institutional improvement framework for increasing student success. It includes examples of what Achieving the Dream institutions hav…
- For the Next Generation
October 7, 2010
© 2010 Diana G. Oblinger. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 License ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/ ). …
- Framing Action Analytics and Putting Them to Work
January 18, 2008
Â© 2008 Donald Norris, Joan Leonard, Louis Pugliese, Linda Baer, and Paul Lefrere. The text of this article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License ( http://…
- From Data to Action: Driving Innovation through Predictive Analytics
September 10, 2013
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - From Data to Action
Higher education institutions are increasingly looking to deliver and analyze data to drive results. Colleges and universities are working to increase student retention and assist students' …