Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Because student success is contingent on retention, student persistence is a critical institutional focus. The use of technology (specifically, the LMS/CMS, coupled with learning analytics) has made student tracking and retention more efficient. Below are articles, presentations, and seminars that further discuss the growing use of technology to promote student retention.
- 2014 Student and Faculty Technology Research Studies, October 30, 2014. In this study, most students support institutional use of their data to advise them on academic progress in courses and programs. Many of the analytic functions students seek already exist in contemporary LMSs.
- Digital Engagement: Driving Student Success, EDUCAUSE Review Online, October 2014. A digital engagement strategy based on integrated student-centered uses of technology and collection of data has already shown its promise in improving student retention and graduation rates.
- Integrated Planning and Advising Services (IPAS) Benchmarking Study. ECAR Study in progress. IPAS is an integrative approach to student success that promotes shared ownership for educational progress among students, faculty, and staff. It encompasses services that help students formulate and advance toward educational goals, including advising, counseling, progress tracking, and academic early alerts. IPAS technologies can contribute in many ways, such as by documenting and tracking students’ educational plans, improving data analysis, offering self-service resources that reduce advisor workloads, and triggering interventions based on student behavior or faculty input.
- Building a Purpose Network to Increase Student Engagement and Retention, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 2012. Fort Hays State University partnered with ConnectEDU to with the purpose of improving student and parent engagement, increasing student retention rates, and tracking and collecting success metrics.
- Signals: Using Academic Analytics to Promote Student Success, EDUCAUSE Review Online, July 2012. Using existing student data and current grade information, Purdue University created Signals, a system that gives students early and frequent performance notifications and helps faculty members steer students toward additional campus resources as needed.
- Two Case Studies of Learner Analytics in the University System of Maryland, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 2012. In this article, The University of Maryland Eastern Shore describes actions it took to increase retention and graduation rates for an at-risk student population by using a dashboard that provides actual data as well as targets for key performance indicators specific to admission, retention, and progress toward graduation.
- The EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine, Volume 33, Number 4, 2010 largely focuses on the topic of student retention. A few articles of particular interest in this issue include;
- Enhancing Student Learning and Retention with Blended Learning Class Guides, EDUCAUSE Quarterly Magazine, Volume 33, Number 4, 2010
- How the ICCOC Uses Analytics to Increase Student Success, EDUCAUSEQuarterly Magazine, Volume 33, Number 4, 2010
- Defining IT’s Role in Mission-Critical Retention Initiatives, EDUCAUSEQuarterly Magazine, Volume 33, Number 4, 2010
- Sustaining Students: Retention Strategies in an Online Program, EDUCAUSEQuarterly Magazine, Volume 33, Number 4, 2010
Presentations and Seminars
- Improving Student Success with Analytics, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, October 2014. SUNY Oswego and VSU deployed different systems that provided valuable information about identification and support for at-risk students. This presentation will discuss why each university chose the products they did, their implementation process, and the results they have achieved so far.
- Student Success at Scale: What Have We Learned from Applying Technology to Persistent Challenges?, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, November 2012. The speaker presents the latest findings from multiple efforts to improve student engagement, learning, retention, and degree completion.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Student Retention
- LMS Data and Student Achievement: Which Variables Are Meaningful?
April 11, 2012
A session at the ELI 2012 Online Spring Focus Session
It has been suggested that analysis of LMS tracking data may allow early identification of students at risk of academic failure. But which online tracking variables indicate meaningful activity i…
- Managing Data Risk in Student Success Systems: EDUCAUSE IPAS Summit Report
February 12, 2014
Student success has come into sharp focus for higher education. New models have emerged in response to outcome-based funding at the state level and a completion agenda at the national lev…
- Managing Online Education: The 2009 WCET-Campus Computing Project Survey of Online Education
October 22, 2009
Enrollments are up and rising, profits are often uncertain, and organizational arrangements are in transition according to a new national survey of senior campus officials responsible for managin…
- Managing Student Relationships (CRM) to Drive Retention
January 1, 2004
DePaul University has developed insight into the benefits of customer relationship management (CRM) through the fastest and only implementation of PeopleSoft's CRM suite (online marketing and …
- Marketing Distance Learning Programs and Courses: A Relationship Marketing Strategy
January 1, 2005
Relationship marketing has emerged as a dominant paradigm with consequences for marketing and management of a relationship-type marketing strategy. A number of researchers have advocated a move tow…
- MavCLASS: Real-World Analytics to Power Student Success
October 1, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference
The analytics design team at the Minnesota State University, Mankato, with a Gates Foundation Grant administered by Purdue University, sought to dig deep into learner data. The result was MavCLAS…
- Mobile Advising: Assembling a Business Architecture for Student Success
October 18, 2013
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2013
The University of Oklahoma's Academic Services department has built a mobile digital records system that dramatically improved how advisors communicate with students. See how a Tier 1 resear…
- Navigating the Waters of Learning Analytics
July 24, 2012
Malcolm Brown, Director , and Veronica Diaz, Associate Director, EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative Navigating the waters of learning analytics (LA) requires steering a careful course between…
- New ELI 7 Things... Explores First-Generation Learning Analytics
December 15, 2011
Learning analytics (LA) applies the model of analytics to the specific goal of improving learning outcomes. LA collects and analyzes the “digital breadcrumbs” that students leave as th…
- New Responsibilities for Postsecondary Education in the 21st Century - Sponsored by SAP Public Services
October 2, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference
The health and prosperity of humanity worldwide increasingly depends on the reliable delivery of education and training to support the innovation-driven 21st-century economy and careers. And yet …