Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
A Fresh Look at Student Success: Integrative Approach to Planning and Advising Services
Student progress and degree completion is driving higher education to take a fresh look at services that promote student success. With support from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, EDUCAUSE is leading efforts to explore both the promise and the risks of Integrated Planning and Advising Services ( IPAS).
IPAS is an integrative approach to student success that promotes shared ownership for educational progress among students, faculty, and staff. It encompasses services that help students formulate and advance toward educational goals, including advising, counseling, progress tracking, and academic early alerts. IPAS technologies can contribute in many ways, such as by documenting and tracking students’ educational plans, improving data analysis, offering self-service resources that reduce advisor workloads, and triggering interventions based on student behavior or faculty input.
In November 2013, a group of 32 invited academic, privacy and security, technology, administrative, and student support leaders gathered in Washington, D.C., for a one–day summit. View participants list.
The group met to explore issues associated with managing risk in student success systems and to identify opportunities for encouraging the development of these systems. This report and executive summary below capture key findings and discussion points, with the aim of extending this conversation to a wider audience of higher education leaders.
- Managing Data Risk in Student Success Systems: EDUCAUSE IPAS Summit Report, February 2014
- What Leaders Need to Know About Managing Data Risk in Student Success Systems, EDUCAUSE Executive Briefing, April 2014
Research and Analysis
EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research (ECAR) is conducting a two-phased research project on IPAS, focusing on benchmarking, data and systems integration, and best practices for implementation.
The first report Integrated Planning and Advising Services: A Benchmarking Study provides a snapshot of IPAS capabilities, needs, and concerns among a cohort of student success–oriented institutions. The report and supporting infographic and data tables are publicly accessible thanks to generous support from The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
Recent EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2013 IPAS Sessions
- Improving Student Outcomes Through Integrated Planning and Advising Services, Video available. Wednesday October 16th, 2013.
- Showcase of the Latest in Student Planning and Advising Tools, Wednesday October 16th, 2013.
- IPAS Grantee and Community of Practice Meeting, Wednesday October 16th, 2013.
- Sherpa: Combine Predictive Analytics with a Recommendation Engine to Improve Student Success Success,Thursday October 17, 2013.
- Adaptive Learning: Effectively Integrating Technology into the Classroom, Video available. Thursday October 17, 2013.
Schools Using Variations of IPAS
- Arizona State University – eAdvisor, Online advising and personalized student support.
Enabling the Data-Driven University, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 13, 2012
- Austin Peay State University – Degree Compass
Degree Compass: A Course Recommendation System, EDUCAUSE Review Online, September 4, 2013
- Kentucky Community and Technical College System – Direct2Degree
Direct2Degree: College One Course at a Time, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 5, 2013
- Lone Star College – Education and Career Positioning System (ECPS)
Personalizing Analytics through the Education and Career Positioning System, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 5, 2013
- Purdue University – Course Signals
Signals: Using Academic Analytics to Promote Student Success, EDUCAUSE Review Online, July 18, 2012
- Sinclair Community College, My Academic Plan (MAP) –
If You MAP the Way, They Will Follow, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 5, 2013
- South Orange Community College District – Sherpa
Sherpa: Increasing Student Success with a Recommendation Engine, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, November 8, 2012
- Valencia College – LifeMap academic planning tool
Valencia College: LifeMap and Atlas--Planning For Success, EDUCAUSE Review Online, September 5, 2012
FACT SHEET on the President’s Plan to Make College More Affordable: A Better Bargain for the Middle Class, The white house effort highlights online learning communities and e-advising tools that encourage persistence and alert instructors when additional help is needed.
- Building Blocks for College Completion: Learning Analytics, September 19, 2013
- Next Generation Learning: The Pathway to Possibility, April 3, 2013
View other resources in the EDUCAUSE Library on related topics:
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Student Success
- "No More Excuses": Michael M. Crow on Analytics
July 18, 2012
Michael M. Crow became the 16th president of Arizona State University in July 2002, with the goal of transforming ASU into what he calls a "New American University"—an institution com…
- 7 Things You Should Know About Analytics
April 7, 2010
Analytics tools provide statistical evaluation of rich data sources to discern patterns that can help individuals at companies, educational institutions, or governments make more informed decisio…
- 7 Things You Should Know About First-Generation Learning Analytics
December 6, 2011
Learning analytics (LA) applies the model of analytics to the specific goal of improving learning outcomes. LA collects and analyzes the “digital breadcrumbs” that students leave as th…
- A Complete Online Class: Course Management, Live Web Conferencing, and Teacher-Made Streaming Movies
October 29, 2008
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2008 Annual Conference
Explore an online course by viewing the actual course preparation, live web office hours, and teacher-made movies. Participants will experience a live online web session with students in California…
- A Virtual Graduation Ceremony for Online Distance Students
December 15, 2010
Key Takeaways While online education is increasing, researchers find that students taking online courses at a distance drop out at higher rates. Florida State University's College …
- Academic Analytics: A New Tool for a New Era
July 6, 2007
© 2007 John P. Campbell, Peter B. DeBlois, and Diana G. Oblinger EDUCAUSE Review , vol. 42, no. 4 (July/August 2007): 40–57 John P. Campbell is an EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative (ELI) S…
- Adopting Performance-Based Funding
April 30, 2009
New formula slated for approval in Ohio would appropriate state funds based on public colleges' retention and graduation rates rather than their incoming and current enrollments. …
- Analytics 3-Day Sprint - Summary
August 20, 2012
This brief summarizes the main themes from the EDUCAUSE Analytics Sprint, held July 24–26, 2012. Presenters and participants exchanged ideas and information via webinars, online conversations, …
- Analytics for Enterprise Efficiency and Effectiveness
July 26, 2012
Analytics: A 3 Day Sprint - July 26th, 2012 How is analytics used in the enterprise area? What kinds of data governance, policies and infrastructure need to be in place to ensure effective…
- Analytics for Teaching, Learning, and Student Success
July 25, 2012
Analytics: A 3 Day Sprint - July 25th, 2012 How does analytics affect faculty and students? Explore early warning systems, educational pathways, and use of student data to improve courses.…