Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
A Fresh Look at Student Success: Integrative Approach to Planning and Advising Services
Student progress and degree completion is driving higher education to take a fresh look at services that promote student success. With support from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, EDUCAUSE is leading efforts to explore both the promise and the risks of Integrated Planning and Advising Services ( IPAS).
IPAS is an integrative approach to student success that promotes shared ownership for educational progress among students, faculty, and staff. It encompasses services that help students formulate and advance toward educational goals, including advising, counseling, progress tracking, and academic early alerts. IPAS technologies can contribute in many ways, such as by documenting and tracking students’ educational plans, improving data analysis, offering self-service resources that reduce advisor workloads, and triggering interventions based on student behavior or faculty input.
In November 2013, a group of 32 invited academic, privacy and security, technology, administrative, and student support leaders gathered in Washington, D.C., for a one–day summit. View participants list.
The group met to explore issues associated with managing risk in student success systems and to identify opportunities for encouraging the development of these systems. This report and executive summary below capture key findings and discussion points, with the aim of extending this conversation to a wider audience of higher education leaders.
- Managing Data Risk in Student Success Systems: EDUCAUSE IPAS Summit Report, February 2014
- EDUCAUSE IPAS Summit Report Executive Summary (forthcoming)
Research and Analysis
EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research (ECAR) is conducting a two-phased research project on IPAS:
- Phase I Research: Integrated Planning and Advising Services: A Benchmarking Study
- Phase II Research (forthcoming) will include case studies from Phase I research participants; a research report on data and systems integration, and a handbook for IPAS implementation.
Recent EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2013 IPAS Sessions
- Improving Student Outcomes Through Integrated Planning and Advising Services, Video available. Wednesday October 16th, 2013.
- Showcase of the Latest in Student Planning and Advising Tools, Wednesday October 16th, 2013.
- IPAS Grantee and Community of Practice Meeting, Wednesday October 16th, 2013.
- Sherpa: Combine Predictive Analytics with a Recommendation Engine to Improve Student Success Success,Thursday October 17, 2013.
- Adaptive Learning: Effectively Integrating Technology into the Classroom, Video available. Thursday October 17, 2013.
Schools Using Variations of IPAS
- Arizona State University – eAdvisor, Online advising and personalized student support.
Enabling the Data-Driven University, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 13, 2012
- Austin Peay State University – Degree Compass
Degree Compass: A Course Recommendation System, EDUCAUSE Review Online, September 4, 2013
- Kentucky Community and Technical College System – Direct2Degree
Direct2Degree: College One Course at a Time, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 5, 2013
- Lone Star College – Education and Career Positioning System (ECPS)
Personalizing Analytics through the Education and Career Positioning System, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 5, 2013
- Purdue University – Course Signals
Signals: Using Academic Analytics to Promote Student Success, EDUCAUSE Review Online, July 18, 2012
- Sinclair Community College, My Academic Plan (MAP) –
If You MAP the Way, They Will Follow, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 5, 2013
- South Orange Community College District – Sherpa
Sherpa: Increasing Student Success with a Recommendation Engine, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, November 8, 2012
- Valencia College – LifeMap academic planning tool
Valencia College: LifeMap and Atlas--Planning For Success, EDUCAUSE Review Online, September 5, 2012
FACT SHEET on the President’s Plan to Make College More Affordable: A Better Bargain for the Middle Class, The white house effort highlights online learning communities and e-advising tools that encourage persistence and alert instructors when additional help is needed.
- Building Blocks for College Completion: Learning Analytics, September 19, 2013
- Next Generation Learning: The Pathway to Possibility, April 3, 2013
View other resources in the EDUCAUSE Library on related topics:
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Student Success
- Capturing Student Intent to Enhance Institutional Effectiveness
October 13, 2010
A session at the EDUCAUSE 2010 Annual Conference
Is your institution tracking students from entry to exit or whether they plan to attend next semester? Pima Community College developed an innovative process to capture student educational goal and…
- Case Study 7: STAR: Using Technology to Enhance the Academic Journey
May 2, 2012
A case study from Game Changers Erika Lacro and Gary Rodwell Introduction Incorporating technology into education continues to be at the forefront of research focused on improvin…
- Completion matters: the high cost of low community college graduation rates
April 3, 2012
" An ever-increasing number of individuals are turning to community college for their higher education. However, the majority of students entering community college fail to complete their …
- Direct2Degree: College One Course at a Time
August 5, 2013
Key Takeaways In its existing program , the Kentucky Community and Technical College System offers students enhanced schedule flexibility and modular courses that they can s…
- Helping Community College Students Beat the Odds
October 8, 2008
Hudson Valley finds that combining and coordinating various student services yields unusually high retention rate. Hudson Valley finds that combi…
- How the ICCOC Uses Analytics to Increase Student Success
December 15, 2010
Key Takeaways Community colleges, already coping with stringent limitations on resources and low degree completion rates among students, face the additional strain of increasing student num…
- If You MAP the Way, They Will Follow
August 5, 2013
Key Takeaways My Academic Plan (MAP) — the latest tool in Sinclair Community College's Student Success Plan software suite — gives students a clear, individualized, …
- Online and Hybrid Course Enrollment and Performance in Washington State Community and Technical Colleges
March 24, 2011
This report investigates enrollment patterns and academic outcomes in online, hybrid, and face-to-face courses among students who enrolled in Washington State community and technical colleges …
- Rio Salado College
November 28, 2012
Rio Salado College is creating new processes to make college completion more attainable for early college high school students, workers of partner employers, and individuals with substantial cred…
- Scaling Learning Analytics across Institutions of Higher Education
May 8, 2013
T he Open Academic Analytics Initiative (OAAI) seeks to increase college student retention by performing early detection of academic risk using predictive analytics . OAAI e…