Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
A Fresh Look at Student Success: Integrative Approach to Planning and Advising Services
Student progress and degree completion is driving higher education to take a fresh look at services that promote student success. With support from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, EDUCAUSE is leading efforts to explore both the promise and the risks of Integrated Planning and Advising Services ( IPAS).
IPAS is an integrative approach to student success that promotes shared ownership for educational progress among students, faculty, and staff. It encompasses services that help students formulate and advance toward educational goals, including advising, counseling, progress tracking, and academic early alerts. IPAS technologies can contribute in many ways, such as by documenting and tracking students’ educational plans, improving data analysis, offering self-service resources that reduce advisor workloads, and triggering interventions based on student behavior or faculty input.
In November 2013, a group of 32 invited academic, privacy and security, technology, administrative, and student support leaders gathered in Washington, D.C., for a one–day summit. View participants list.
The group met to explore issues associated with managing risk in student success systems and to identify opportunities for encouraging the development of these systems. This report and executive summary below capture key findings and discussion points, with the aim of extending this conversation to a wider audience of higher education leaders.
- Managing Data Risk in Student Success Systems: EDUCAUSE IPAS Summit Report, February 2014
- EDUCAUSE IPAS Summit Report Executive Summary (forthcoming)
Research and Analysis
EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research (ECAR) is conducting a two-phased research project on IPAS:
- Phase I Research: Integrated Planning and Advising Services: A Benchmarking Study
- Phase II Research (forthcoming) will include case studies from Phase I research participants; a research report on data and systems integration, and a handbook for IPAS implementation.
Recent EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2013 IPAS Sessions
- Improving Student Outcomes Through Integrated Planning and Advising Services, Video available. Wednesday October 16th, 2013.
- Showcase of the Latest in Student Planning and Advising Tools, Wednesday October 16th, 2013.
- IPAS Grantee and Community of Practice Meeting, Wednesday October 16th, 2013.
- Sherpa: Combine Predictive Analytics with a Recommendation Engine to Improve Student Success Success,Thursday October 17, 2013.
- Adaptive Learning: Effectively Integrating Technology into the Classroom, Video available. Thursday October 17, 2013.
Schools Using Variations of IPAS
- Arizona State University – eAdvisor, Online advising and personalized student support.
Enabling the Data-Driven University, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 13, 2012
- Austin Peay State University – Degree Compass
Degree Compass: A Course Recommendation System, EDUCAUSE Review Online, September 4, 2013
- Kentucky Community and Technical College System – Direct2Degree
Direct2Degree: College One Course at a Time, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 5, 2013
- Lone Star College – Education and Career Positioning System (ECPS)
Personalizing Analytics through the Education and Career Positioning System, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 5, 2013
- Purdue University – Course Signals
Signals: Using Academic Analytics to Promote Student Success, EDUCAUSE Review Online, July 18, 2012
- Sinclair Community College, My Academic Plan (MAP) –
If You MAP the Way, They Will Follow, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 5, 2013
- South Orange Community College District – Sherpa
Sherpa: Increasing Student Success with a Recommendation Engine, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, November 8, 2012
- Valencia College – LifeMap academic planning tool
Valencia College: LifeMap and Atlas--Planning For Success, EDUCAUSE Review Online, September 5, 2012
FACT SHEET on the President’s Plan to Make College More Affordable: A Better Bargain for the Middle Class, The white house effort highlights online learning communities and e-advising tools that encourage persistence and alert instructors when additional help is needed.
- Building Blocks for College Completion: Learning Analytics, September 19, 2013
- Next Generation Learning: The Pathway to Possibility, April 3, 2013
View other resources in the EDUCAUSE Library on related topics:
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Student Success
- Valencia College: LifeMap and Atlas--Planning For Success
September 5, 2012
This case study from the EDUCAUSE book Game Changers describes two projects at Valencia College that focus on student progression and completion and learning outcomes. Li…
- ERO Podcast: Chief of Staff for the Khan Academy, Jessica Yuen
September 5, 2012
In this podcast, we talk with Chief of Staff for the Khan Academy, Jessica Yuen. In our conversation, she discusses the Khan Academy's use of analytics, attitude toward affordability for stu…
- Discovering the Impact of Library Use and Student Performance
July 18, 2012
Brian Cox is Manager Quality and Marketing, and Margie Jantti is University Librarian at the University of Wollongong Library. Key Takeaways Without a vali…
- Coaching Reports Support Customized Study Plans
July 18, 2012
Jason Levin is Vice President of Institutional Research and Sally Johnstone is Vice President for Academic Advancement at Western Governors University. Key Take…
- Podcast: Analytics Examined
August 14, 2012
Clifford Lynch is executive director for the Coalition for Networked Information. Gardner Campbell is director for professional development and innovative initiatives at Virginia Tech. In this po…
- Harnessing the Power of Technology, Openness, and Collaboration
December 15, 2011
Key Takeaways Supporting students at risk of not completing a course and ultimately, perhaps, of not completing college requires targeted data , guided intervention , and …
- The Student Success Plan: Case Management and Intervention Software
December 15, 2011
Key Takeaways Faced with student retention and college completion challenges , Sinclair Community College began a years-long plan to improve both . The Student Success…
- Assessment and Analytics in Institutional Transformation
September 12, 2011
Freeman A. Hrabowski III ( email@example.com ) is President of the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC). Jack Suess ( Jack@umbc.edu ) is Vice President, Information Technology,…
- How the ICCOC Uses Analytics to Increase Student Success
December 15, 2010
Key Takeaways Community colleges, already coping with stringent limitations on resources and low degree completion rates among students, face the additional strain of increasing student num…
- Visualizing Math: How Intelligent Tutoring Technology Can Help Math-Challenged Students
December 15, 2010
Key Takeaways Many students who struggle with basic mathematics courses benefit from digital instructional technologies, including additional visual and supplemental materials on difficult …