Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by Publications
Filter by Library Taxonomy
A Fresh Look at Student Success: Integrative Approach to Planning and Advising Services
Student progress and degree completion is driving higher education to take a fresh look at services that promote student success. With support from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, EDUCAUSE is leading efforts to explore both the promise and the risks of Integrated Planning and Advising Services ( IPAS).
IPAS is an integrative approach to student success that promotes shared ownership for educational progress among students, faculty, and staff. It encompasses services that help students formulate and advance toward educational goals, including advising, counseling, progress tracking, and academic early alerts. IPAS technologies can contribute in many ways, such as by documenting and tracking students’ educational plans, improving data analysis, offering self-service resources that reduce advisor workloads, and triggering interventions based on student behavior or faculty input.
In November 2013, a group of 32 invited academic, privacy and security, technology, administrative, and student support leaders gathered in Washington, D.C., for a one–day summit. View participants list.
The group met to explore issues associated with managing risk in student success systems and to identify opportunities for encouraging the development of these systems. This report and executive summary below capture key findings and discussion points, with the aim of extending this conversation to a wider audience of higher education leaders.
- Managing Data Risk in Student Success Systems: EDUCAUSE IPAS Summit Report, February 2014
- What Leaders Need to Know About Managing Data Risk in Student Success Systems, EDUCAUSE Executive Briefing, April 2014
Research and Analysis
EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research (ECAR) is conducting a two-phased research project on IPAS, focusing on benchmarking, data and systems integration, and best practices for implementation.
The first report Integrated Planning and Advising Services: A Benchmarking Study provides a snapshot of IPAS capabilities, needs, and concerns among a cohort of student success–oriented institutions. The report and supporting infographic and data tables are publicly accessible thanks to generous support from The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2013 IPAS Sessions
- Improving Student Outcomes Through Integrated Planning and Advising Services, Video available. Wednesday October 16th, 2013.
- Showcase of the Latest in Student Planning and Advising Tools, Wednesday October 16th, 2013.
- IPAS Grantee and Community of Practice Meeting, Wednesday October 16th, 2013.
- Sherpa: Combine Predictive Analytics with a Recommendation Engine to Improve Student Success Success,Thursday October 17, 2013.
- Adaptive Learning: Effectively Integrating Technology into the Classroom, Video available. Thursday October 17, 2013.
Schools Using Variations of IPAS
- Arizona State University – eAdvisor, Online advising and personalized student support.
Enabling the Data-Driven University, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 13, 2012
- Austin Peay State University – Degree Compass
Degree Compass: A Course Recommendation System, EDUCAUSE Review Online, September 4, 2013
- Kentucky Community and Technical College System – Direct2Degree
Direct2Degree: College One Course at a Time, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 5, 2013
- Lone Star College – Education and Career Positioning System (ECPS)
Personalizing Analytics through the Education and Career Positioning System, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 5, 2013
- Purdue University – Course Signals
Signals: Using Academic Analytics to Promote Student Success, EDUCAUSE Review Online, July 18, 2012
- Sinclair Community College, My Academic Plan (MAP) –
If You MAP the Way, They Will Follow, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 5, 2013
- South Orange Community College District – Sherpa
Sherpa: Increasing Student Success with a Recommendation Engine, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, November 8, 2012
- Valencia College – LifeMap academic planning tool
Valencia College: LifeMap and Atlas--Planning For Success, EDUCAUSE Review Online, September 5, 2012
FACT SHEET on the President’s Plan to Make College More Affordable: A Better Bargain for the Middle Class, The white house effort highlights online learning communities and e-advising tools that encourage persistence and alert instructors when additional help is needed.
- Building Blocks for College Completion: Learning Analytics, September 19, 2013
- Next Generation Learning: The Pathway to Possibility, April 3, 2013
View other resources in the EDUCAUSE Library on related topics:
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Student Success
- Ethical Discourse: Guiding the Future of Learning Analytics
April 7, 2014
Learning analytics holds increasing potential for student agency and autonomy, highlighting a need for ethical discourse at all levels of higher education institutions. Topics central to thi…
- The Predictive Analytics Reporting (PAR) Framework, WCET
December 6, 2013
Key Takeaways WCET member institutions sought more effective ways to identify and deconstruct risks to student success. PAR Framework partner institutions provide a full s…
- Two Case Studies of Learner Analytics in the University System of Maryland
August 13, 2012
Ronald G. Forsythe Jr. is Vice President of IT at the University of Maryland Eastern Shore; Fabio J. Chacon is Director of Academic Computing and Distance Education at Bowie State …
- ERO Podcast: Chief of Staff for the Khan Academy, Jessica Yuen
September 5, 2012
In this podcast, we talk with Chief of Staff for the Khan Academy, Jessica Yuen. In our conversation, she discusses the Khan Academy's use of analytics, attitude toward affordability for stu…
- Analytics in Progress: Technology Use, Student Characteristics, and Student Achievement
August 13, 2012
John Whitmer is Associate Director of the LMSS Project at the CSU Chancellor's Office, Kathy Fernandes is Director of the LMSS Project at the CSU Chancellor's O…
- Building a Purpose Network to Increase Student Engagement and Retention
August 13, 2012
Katie Lynch-Holmes is Director of Product Innovation at ConnectEDU and Tisa Mason is Vice President for Student Affairs at Fort Hays State University. Key Takeaways …
- Improving Retention by Identifying and Supporting "At-Risk" Students
July 18, 2012
Annika Wolff is a Research Associate and Zdenek Zdrahal is a Senior Research Fellow at the Knowledge Media Institute, The Open University. Key Takeaways Without the…
- Analytics, Nudges, and Learner Persistence
July 18, 2012
Jill Frankfort and Kenneth Salim are co-founders of Persistence Plus. Colleen Carmean is Assistant Chancellor for Instructional Technologies, and Tracey Hayni…
- Discovering the Impact of Library Use and Student Performance
July 18, 2012
Brian Cox is Manager Quality and Marketing, and Margie Jantti is University Librarian at the University of Wollongong Library. Key Takeaways Without a vali…
- Beyond Retention: Using Targeted Analytics to Improve Student Success
July 18, 2012
Loralyn Taylor is Director of Institutional Research and Registrar, and Virginia McAleese is Professor and Director, Academic Success Center, at Paul Smith’s College of…