Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
- Community [x]
Filter by Library Taxonomy
A Fresh Look at Student Success: Integrative Approach to Planning and Advising Services
Student progress and degree completion is driving higher education to take a fresh look at services that promote student success. With support from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, EDUCAUSE is leading efforts to explore both the promise and the risks of Integrated Planning and Advising Services ( IPAS).
IPAS is an integrative approach to student success that promotes shared ownership for educational progress among students, faculty, and staff. It encompasses services that help students formulate and advance toward educational goals, including advising, counseling, progress tracking, and academic early alerts. IPAS technologies can contribute in many ways, such as by documenting and tracking students’ educational plans, improving data analysis, offering self-service resources that reduce advisor workloads, and triggering interventions based on student behavior or faculty input.
In November 2013, a group of 32 invited academic, privacy and security, technology, administrative, and student support leaders gathered in Washington, D.C., for a one–day summit. View participants list.
The group met to explore issues associated with managing risk in student success systems and to identify opportunities for encouraging the development of these systems. This report and executive summary below capture key findings and discussion points, with the aim of extending this conversation to a wider audience of higher education leaders.
- Managing Data Risk in Student Success Systems: EDUCAUSE IPAS Summit Report, February 2014
- EDUCAUSE IPAS Summit Report Executive Summary (forthcoming)
Research and Analysis
EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research (ECAR) is conducting a two-phased research project on IPAS:
- Phase I Research: Integrated Planning and Advising Services: A Benchmarking Study
- Phase II Research (forthcoming) will include case studies from Phase I research participants; a research report on data and systems integration, and a handbook for IPAS implementation.
Recent EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2013 IPAS Sessions
- Improving Student Outcomes Through Integrated Planning and Advising Services, Video available. Wednesday October 16th, 2013.
- Showcase of the Latest in Student Planning and Advising Tools, Wednesday October 16th, 2013.
- IPAS Grantee and Community of Practice Meeting, Wednesday October 16th, 2013.
- Sherpa: Combine Predictive Analytics with a Recommendation Engine to Improve Student Success Success,Thursday October 17, 2013.
- Adaptive Learning: Effectively Integrating Technology into the Classroom, Video available. Thursday October 17, 2013.
Schools Using Variations of IPAS
- Arizona State University – eAdvisor, Online advising and personalized student support.
Enabling the Data-Driven University, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 13, 2012
- Austin Peay State University – Degree Compass
Degree Compass: A Course Recommendation System, EDUCAUSE Review Online, September 4, 2013
- Kentucky Community and Technical College System – Direct2Degree
Direct2Degree: College One Course at a Time, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 5, 2013
- Lone Star College – Education and Career Positioning System (ECPS)
Personalizing Analytics through the Education and Career Positioning System, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 5, 2013
- Purdue University – Course Signals
Signals: Using Academic Analytics to Promote Student Success, EDUCAUSE Review Online, July 18, 2012
- Sinclair Community College, My Academic Plan (MAP) –
If You MAP the Way, They Will Follow, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 5, 2013
- South Orange Community College District – Sherpa
Sherpa: Increasing Student Success with a Recommendation Engine, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, November 8, 2012
- Valencia College – LifeMap academic planning tool
Valencia College: LifeMap and Atlas--Planning For Success, EDUCAUSE Review Online, September 5, 2012
FACT SHEET on the President’s Plan to Make College More Affordable: A Better Bargain for the Middle Class, The white house effort highlights online learning communities and e-advising tools that encourage persistence and alert instructors when additional help is needed.
- Building Blocks for College Completion: Learning Analytics, September 19, 2013
- Next Generation Learning: The Pathway to Possibility, April 3, 2013
View other resources in the EDUCAUSE Library on related topics:
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Student Success
- Leading the Student Experience: Super-Convergence of Organisation, Structure and Business Processes
April 27, 2012
This group of case studies from the United Kingdom organization, Leadership Foundation for Higher Education, focuses on the UK higher education student experience. "The student experience …
- Connect, Collaborate, and Communicate: A Report from the Value of Academic Libraries Summits
June 6, 2012
As part of ACRL’s Value of Academic Libraries Initiative, a multiyear project designed to assist academic librarians in demonstrating library value, ACRL joined with three partners—the Associ…
- Completion matters: the high cost of low community college graduation rates
April 3, 2012
" An ever-increasing number of individuals are turning to community college for their higher education. However, the majority of students entering community college fail to complete their …
- The ‘Personalization’ of Higher Education: Using Technology to Enhance the College Experience
October 4, 2011
This brief from the Center for American Progress provides an overview of technology and industry change, a series of examples of technology innovations that are driving the “personalization”…
- A Systems Approach: Expanding Access and Achieving Student Success through Support Services at Rio Salado College
March 12, 2012
This report covers how Rio Salado College (RSC) in Tempe, Arizona provides a full slate of support services to its online learners. The report was designed to capture the essence of a rela…
- President Obama’s Blueprint for Keeping College Affordable and Within Reach for All Americans
January 27, 2012
This White House fact sheet from the Obama administration highlights six new reforms to promote shared responsibility to address the college affordability challenge. …
- Information Constraints and Financial Aid Policy
February 3, 2012
One justification for public support of higher education is that prospective students, particularly those from underprivileged groups, lack complete information about the costs and benefits of a…
- Big Data's Arrival
February 6, 2012
This article from Inside Higher Ed by Paul Fain describes a WECT research project tracking students taking online courses. The research shows how tracking certain variables proves the usefulness…
- Leveraging Service Blueprinting to Rethink Higher Education
October 31, 2011
In this paper, by authors Amy L. Ostrom, Mary Jo Bitner, Kevin A. Burkhard, the Center For American Progress takes the position that higher education is a service, or a service system, and…
- Colleges Mine Data to Tailor Students' Experience
December 12, 2011
"Educators have long held that the interactions between students and professors defy simple reduction. Yet in several areas of campus life, colleges are converting the student experience in…