Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
A Fresh Look at Student Success: Integrative Approach to Planning and Advising Services
Student progress and degree completion is driving higher education to take a fresh look at services that promote student success. With support from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, EDUCAUSE is leading efforts to explore both the promise and the risks of Integrated Planning and Advising Services ( IPAS).
IPAS is an integrative approach to student success that promotes shared ownership for educational progress among students, faculty, and staff. It encompasses services that help students formulate and advance toward educational goals, including advising, counseling, progress tracking, and academic early alerts. IPAS technologies can contribute in many ways, such as by documenting and tracking students’ educational plans, improving data analysis, offering self-service resources that reduce advisor workloads, and triggering interventions based on student behavior or faculty input. For a quick view of how IPAS is used, see 7 Things You Should Know about IPAS (November 2014).
In November 2013, a group of 32 invited academic, privacy and security, technology, administrative, and student support leaders gathered in Washington, D.C., for a one–day summit. View participants list.
The group met to explore issues associated with managing risk in student success systems and to identify opportunities for encouraging the development of these systems. This report and executive summary below capture key findings and discussion points, with the aim of extending this conversation to a wider audience of higher education leaders.
- Managing Data Risk in Student Success Systems: EDUCAUSE IPAS Summit Report, February 2014
- What Leaders Need to Know About Managing Data Risk in Student Success Systems, EDUCAUSE Executive Briefing, April 2014
Research and Analysis
EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research (ECAR) is conducting a two-phased research project on IPAS, focusing on benchmarking, data and systems integration, and best practices for implementation.
The first report Integrated Planning and Advising Services: A Benchmarking Study provides a snapshot of IPAS capabilities, needs, and concerns among a cohort of student success–oriented institutions. The report and supporting infographic and data tables are publicly accessible thanks to generous support from The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2014 IPAS Sessions
- Building Institutional Capacity for Learning Analytics, September 29, 2014
- Improving Student Graduation Rates Using Data Insights and Predictive Modeling,September 29, 2014
EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2013 IPAS Sessions
- Improving Student Outcomes Through Integrated Planning and Advising Services, Video available. Wednesday October 16th, 2013.
- Showcase of the Latest in Student Planning and Advising Tools, Wednesday October 16th, 2013.
- IPAS Grantee and Community of Practice Meeting, Wednesday October 16th, 2013.
- Sherpa: Combine Predictive Analytics with a Recommendation Engine to Improve Student Success Success,Thursday October 17, 2013.
- Adaptive Learning: Effectively Integrating Technology into the Classroom, Video available. Thursday October 17, 2013.
Schools Using Variations of IPAS
- Arizona State University – eAdvisor, Online advising and personalized student support.
Enabling the Data-Driven University, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 13, 2012
- Austin Peay State University – Degree Compass
Degree Compass: A Course Recommendation System, EDUCAUSE Review Online, September 4, 2013
- Kentucky Community and Technical College System – Direct2Degree
Direct2Degree: College One Course at a Time, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 5, 2013
- Lone Star College – Education and Career Positioning System (ECPS)
Personalizing Analytics through the Education and Career Positioning System, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 5, 2013
- Purdue University – Course Signals
Signals: Using Academic Analytics to Promote Student Success, EDUCAUSE Review Online, July 18, 2012
- Sinclair Community College, My Academic Plan (MAP) –
If You MAP the Way, They Will Follow, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 5, 2013
- South Orange Community College District – Sherpa
Sherpa: Increasing Student Success with a Recommendation Engine, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, November 8, 2012
- Valencia College – LifeMap academic planning tool
Valencia College: LifeMap and Atlas--Planning For Success, EDUCAUSE Review Online, September 5, 2012
FACT SHEET on the President’s Plan to Make College More Affordable: A Better Bargain for the Middle Class, The white house effort highlights online learning communities and e-advising tools that encourage persistence and alert instructors when additional help is needed.
- Building Blocks for College Completion: Learning Analytics, September 19, 2013
- Next Generation Learning: The Pathway to Possibility, April 3, 2013
View other resources in the EDUCAUSE Library on related topics:
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Student Success
- Ethics, Big Data, and Analytics: A Model for Application
May 6, 2013
The use of big data and analytics to predict student success presents unique ethical questions for higher education administrators relating to the nature of knowledge; in educatio…
- Field Guide for Improving Student Success
November 17, 2011
This guide provides an overview of Achieving the Dream’s institutional improvement framework for increasing student success. It includes examples of what Achieving the Dream institutions hav…
- From Data to Action: Driving Innovation through Predictive Analytics
September 10, 2013
A session at the EDUCAUSE LIVE! - From Data to Action
Higher education institutions are increasingly looking to deliver and analyze data to drive results. Colleges and universities are working to increase student retention and assist students' …
- From Knowing to Action: Using a Next-Generation Student Success Platform to Improve Retention
November 8, 2012
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2012
Moving beyond predictive modeling and early alert systems, a successful retention solution combines the power of real-time analytics, strategic communications, and differentiated user interfacing…
- Higher Education Innovation: Facilitating Global Access to the American Dream
February 3, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative Annual Meeting
"If you want the American dream, go to Finland," quipped Edward Miliband, the current leader of the British Labour Party. The "American Dream"—the notion that "life sho…
- If You MAP the Way, They Will Follow
August 5, 2013
Key Takeaways My Academic Plan (MAP) — the latest tool in Sinclair Community College's Student Success Plan software suite — gives students a clear, individualized, …
- Implementing an Electronic Advising and Early-Warning System to Improve Student Success at UNL
November 8, 2012
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2012
Presenters will discuss the implementation of Starfish Retention Solutions Early Alert and Connect systems within UNL's Blackboard instance. Questions about data access and management, techn…
- Improving Retention by Identifying and Supporting "At-Risk" Students
July 18, 2012
Annika Wolff is a Research Associate and Zdenek Zdrahal is a Senior Research Fellow at the Knowledge Media Institute, The Open University. Key Takeaways Without the…
- Improving Student Success with Analytics
October 2, 2014
A session at the EDUCAUSE Annual Conference
SUNY Oswego and VSU deployed different systems that provided valuable information about identification and support for at-risk students. While SUNY Oswego implemented Starfish EARLY ALERT, VSU im…
- Interstate Passport Initiative: A New Transfer Framework Based on Learning Outcomes
May 5, 2014
A session at the ELI Webinar - Interstate Passport Initiative
Join Malcolm Brown and Veronica Diaz as they moderate this webinar with Pat Shea, Bob Turner, and Cathy Walker. The Interstate Passport Initiative, based at the Western Interstate Commission for …