Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
A Fresh Look at Student Success: Integrative Approach to Planning and Advising Services
Student progress and degree completion is driving higher education to take a fresh look at services that promote student success. With support from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, EDUCAUSE is leading efforts to explore both the promise and the risks of Integrated Planning and Advising Services ( IPAS).
IPAS is an integrative approach to student success that promotes shared ownership for educational progress among students, faculty, and staff. It encompasses services that help students formulate and advance toward educational goals, including advising, counseling, progress tracking, and academic early alerts. IPAS technologies can contribute in many ways, such as by documenting and tracking students’ educational plans, improving data analysis, offering self-service resources that reduce advisor workloads, and triggering interventions based on student behavior or faculty input.
In November 2013, a group of 32 invited academic, privacy and security, technology, administrative, and student support leaders gathered in Washington, D.C., for a one–day summit. View participants list.
The group met to explore issues associated with managing risk in student success systems and to identify opportunities for encouraging the development of these systems. This report and executive summary below capture key findings and discussion points, with the aim of extending this conversation to a wider audience of higher education leaders.
- Managing Data Risk in Student Success Systems: EDUCAUSE IPAS Summit Report, February 2014
- EDUCAUSE IPAS Summit Report Executive Summary (forthcoming)
Research and Analysis
EDUCAUSE Center for Analysis and Research (ECAR) is conducting a two-phased research project on IPAS:
- Phase I Research: Integrated Planning and Advising Services: A Benchmarking Study
- Phase II Research (forthcoming) will include case studies from Phase I research participants; a research report on data and systems integration, and a handbook for IPAS implementation.
Recent EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2013 IPAS Sessions
- Improving Student Outcomes Through Integrated Planning and Advising Services, Video available. Wednesday October 16th, 2013.
- Showcase of the Latest in Student Planning and Advising Tools, Wednesday October 16th, 2013.
- IPAS Grantee and Community of Practice Meeting, Wednesday October 16th, 2013.
- Sherpa: Combine Predictive Analytics with a Recommendation Engine to Improve Student Success Success,Thursday October 17, 2013.
- Adaptive Learning: Effectively Integrating Technology into the Classroom, Video available. Thursday October 17, 2013.
Schools Using Variations of IPAS
- Arizona State University – eAdvisor, Online advising and personalized student support.
Enabling the Data-Driven University, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 13, 2012
- Austin Peay State University – Degree Compass
Degree Compass: A Course Recommendation System, EDUCAUSE Review Online, September 4, 2013
- Kentucky Community and Technical College System – Direct2Degree
Direct2Degree: College One Course at a Time, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 5, 2013
- Lone Star College – Education and Career Positioning System (ECPS)
Personalizing Analytics through the Education and Career Positioning System, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 5, 2013
- Purdue University – Course Signals
Signals: Using Academic Analytics to Promote Student Success, EDUCAUSE Review Online, July 18, 2012
- Sinclair Community College, My Academic Plan (MAP) –
If You MAP the Way, They Will Follow, EDUCAUSE Review Online, August 5, 2013
- South Orange Community College District – Sherpa
Sherpa: Increasing Student Success with a Recommendation Engine, EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, November 8, 2012
- Valencia College – LifeMap academic planning tool
Valencia College: LifeMap and Atlas--Planning For Success, EDUCAUSE Review Online, September 5, 2012
FACT SHEET on the President’s Plan to Make College More Affordable: A Better Bargain for the Middle Class, The white house effort highlights online learning communities and e-advising tools that encourage persistence and alert instructors when additional help is needed.
- Building Blocks for College Completion: Learning Analytics, September 19, 2013
- Next Generation Learning: The Pathway to Possibility, April 3, 2013
View other resources in the EDUCAUSE Library on related topics:
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Student Success
- Not Just Degrees
June 6, 2012
This article shines the light on the little discussed educational certificate. This article shines the light on the little discussed educational …
- Degree Compass: A Course Recommendation System
September 4, 2013
Key Takeaways To successfully match students with courses suited to both their talents and academic goals, Degree Compass combines data on a student's past grades with…
- Personalizing Analytics through the Education and Career Positioning System
August 5, 2013
Key Takeaways Lone Star College System offers an integrated Education and Career Positioning System that lets students, faculty, advisors, and parents simulate, navigate, validate,…
- Student Success Center Enhances Student Experiences
July 1, 2013
Key Takeaways In an effort to deliver student support services more efficiently , Suffolk County Community College assessed its routine practices in search of new ways of making pos…
- Trending Now: Postsecondary
June 14, 2013
Recent research on next gen learning explores MOOC effectiveness and what it takes to create a new model for postsecondary education. Editor’s Note: In this monthly series, NGLC staff shar…
- EDUCAUSE Top-10 IT Issues 2013
June 3, 2013
A quick rundown of the list with comments from higher education IT leaders. A quick rundown of the list with comments from hi…
- Analytics and Metaphors: Grounding Our Understanding in a Conceptual Framework
June 3, 2013
The popularity of the analytics movement in education has given rise to a large number of platforms, all of which intend to increase the probability of student success . In this webinar, Dziub…
- Breakthrough Models for Online Learning
May 20, 2013
Malcolm Brown, ELI director, and Veronica Diaz, ELI associate director, will moderate this online seminar with NGLC Breakthrough Model project representatives from Altius Education, Northern Ariz…
- Northern Arizona Wins Regional Accreditor’s Approval for Personalized Learning Program
June 7, 2013
It’s all systems go, at last: Northern Arizona University, one of the ten institutions presently developing breakthrough degree programs with NGLC support, recently got the gree…
- Partnering for Transformative Teaching
July 1, 2013
Key Takeaways Innovation in the curricula , including experimentation with technologies and learning spaces, is most likely to be effective when driven by faculty and student need…