Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts (26)
- Blogs (76)
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports (298)
- Blogs and Wikis (21)
- Books and Monographs (2)
- Certification, Education, Training and Tutorials (11)
- Government Documents, Laws, Testimonies or Reports (10)
- Letters (5)
- Plans and Guidelines (3)
- Policies and Procedures (9)
- Presentations and Seminars (81)
- Programs and Projects (2)
- Tools (1)
- Videos (5)
- Web Sites (3)
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Copyright [x]
- Federal Policy and Law (557)
- Intellectual Property (557)
- Policy and Law (557)
- Copyright Infringement (303)
- P2P File Sharing (174)
- Online Piracy (133)
- Fair Use (126)
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) (115)
- Libraries and Technology (101)
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (87)
- Teaching and Learning (72)
- Campus Policy and Law (55)
- Campus Policies (49)
- Digital Library Services (46)
- E-Content (45)
- Networking and Emerging Technologies (41)
- Copyright and Intellectual Property Policies (36)
- Openness (31)
- DRM (Digital Rights Management) (30)
In an age of connected learning, navigating the copyright landscape can be challenging. The following resources may help you as you attempt to answer key copyright questions about content use, re-use, distribution, creation, and more.
- EDUCAUSE Policy Topic: Intellectual Property
Looking to find out more about copyright, Fair Use, DMCA, and other legislation in this area? This page from the EDUCAUSE Policy office provides a useful overview of IP issues facing higher education.
- EDUCAUSE Library: Copyright and IP Policies
Find model campus policies in the EDUCAUSE Library.
- Copyright Timeline: A History of Copyright in the United States
This timeline from the Association of Research Libraries is a comprehensive look at the legal evolution of copyright law in the United States.
- Copyright Crash Course
From the University of Texas Libraries, this online interactive guide points to copyright’s role in the flow of research and teaching, and helps users understand ownership, management, and sharing of copyrights.
- Know Your Copyrights
An online guide from ARL that “looks at copyright from the perspectives of all key academic stakeholders and suggests what each group can do to enhance their copyright practices and advance academic interests.
- American University Center for Social Media: Codes of Best Practices in Fair Use
This site features a number of resources related to fair use, including teaching materials, codes of best practices, and other documents. Topics include OpenCourseWare, online video, academic and research libraries, and more.
- Orphan Works and Mass Digitization
This Library of Congress site is a review of “the problem of orphan works under U.S. copyright law” and includes links to pertinent works.
- ARL Copyright and Intellectual Property
This website provides helpful resources related to Fair Use, author rights, legislation, and international copyright and IP.
- Copyright Act of 1976
- Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act
- DMCA FAQ(from the EDUCAUSE Campus Policy Working Group)
- Technology, Education and Copyright Harmonization (TEACH) Act
- Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA)
- Authors Guild, Inc., et al. v. HathiTrust et al.
- HathiTrust Copyright Case: Resources (EDUCAUSE)
- Georgia State Copyright Case: Resources(EDUCAUSE)
EDUCAUSE created a page that provides resources related to the Georgia State copyright case (Cambridge University Press et al. v. Patton et al.). This lawsuit brought by several publishers against Georgia State University involves the use of copyrighted materials in e-reserves in higher education, but the impact of the case and its potential results may be far more reaching.
- UCLA Streaming Video Lawsuit
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Copyright
Protect Intellectual Property Act (PIPA) True The Prev…
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA)
Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) True The Digital …
- Fair Use
Fair Use True Georgia State Case Resources Want to …
Copyright True In an age of connected learning, navigatin…
- HathiTrust: The Collection and Its Uses
May 6, 2013
John Wilkin and Sigrid Anderson Cordell provide an overview of HathiTrust and will discuss some uses of the materials in the repository. HathiTrust is the world's largest research libr…
- To Maus or Not to Maus: Technically, That Is the Question
May 6, 2013
Key Takeaways What should a Maus book owner do when he can't access the multiple copies he owns on all his various devices, including the newest, an iPad ? In …
- We Love E-Books!
April 1, 2013
Carrie Rampp is Director of Library Services and Instructional Technology at Bucknell University, Lewisburg, Pennsylvania. True confession: I really love e-books. They are so conven…
- Copyright for Librarians: The Essential Handbook
February 6, 2013
"Copyright for Librarians" (CFL) is an online open curriculum on copyright law that was developed jointly with Harvard’s Berkman Center for Internet and Society. This book explores…
- Two Copyright Items of Note
May 7, 2013
On April 24, 2013, House Judiciary Committee Chairman Robert Goodlatte (R-VA) announced that the Committee would conduct a comprehensive review of U.S. copyright law over the coming months. The…
- MOOCs and Intellectual Property: Ownership and Use Rights
April 8, 2013
Massively Open Online Courses (MOOCs) have become the buzzword these days. Besides the interest and the hype associated with MOOCs, campuses are having serious discussions about the opportuniti…