Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
- Podcasts (28)
- Blogs (23)
- Articles, Briefs, Papers, and Reports (86)
- Blogs and Wikis (1)
- Effective Practices (2)
- Government Documents, Laws, Testimonies or Reports (1)
- Interactive Graphic and Infographics (1)
- Letters (1)
- Policies and Procedures (1)
- Presentations and Seminars (321)
- Programs and Projects (1)
- Surveys (3)
- Tools (2)
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
Identity management refers to the policies, processes, and technologies that establish user identities and enforce rules about access to digital resources. In a campus setting, many information systems–such as e-mail, learning management systems, library databases, and grid computing applications–require users to authenticate themselves (typically with a username and password). An authorization process then determines which systems an authenticated user is permitted to access. With an enterprise identity management system, rather than having separate credentials for each system, a user can employ a single digital identity to access all resources to which the user is entitled. Federated identity management permits extending this approach above the enterprise level, creating a trusted authority for digital identities across multiple organizations. In a federated system, participating institutions share identity attributes based on agreed-upon standards, facilitating authentication from other members of the federation and granting appropriate access to online resources. This approach streamlines access to digital assets while protecting restricted resources. [Source: 7 Things You Should Know About Federated Identity Management]
- Toolkit for Developing an Identity and Access Management (IAM) Program, The IAM Program Outline has been created as a roadmap for institutions to use in developing an IAM program or to address gaps in their current offerings.
- 2011 ECAR Identity Management in Higher Education Report
- EDUCAUSE/InCommon Partnership: EDUCAUSE has partnered with the InCommon Federation to provide members who use our web resources, the benefits and ease of Federated Identity Management access.
- Identity & Access Management (IAM) Discussion Group: EDUCAUSE operates an open mailing list for general discussion of Identity and Access Management (IAM) topics and maintains a website with additional resources and links.
- IAM Tools & Effective Practices Wiki: This wiki provides a set of resources for IAM Architects to use in implementing a cohesive program on their respective campuses.
- IAM Online: IAM Online is a monthly series delivering interactive education on Identity and Access Management (IAM), including federated identity management essentials, advanced issues in IAM, and hot topics from the EDUCAUSE community. Experts will provide overviews, answer questions and lead discussions.
- InCommon: The InCommon Federation eliminates the need for researchers, students, and educators to maintain multiple passwords and usernames. Online service providers no longer need to maintain user accounts. Identity providers manage the levels of their users' privacy and information exchange. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community. InCommon also offers a Certificate Service for the higher education community, as well as a number of training and education programs such as CAMP.
- The Information Security Guide, maintained by the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC), includes a chapter on Access Control.
- National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace (NSTIC): Resources include a July 2011 response to the Department of Commerce Notice of Inquiry for Models for a Governance Structure for NSTIC (prepared by EDUCAUSE, Internet2, and InCommon).
- Shibboleth®: The Shibboleth System is a standards based, open source software package for web single sign-on across or within organizational boundaries. It allows sites to make informed authorization decisions for individual access of protected online resources in a privacy-preserving manner.
- US Trust Federations: This community collaboration group is exploring the building of federations within and across state boundaries. Invited participants include StateNets and Higher Education Systems staff. This effort is supported by Internet2, EDUCAUSE, and InCommon.
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Identity and Access Management
- OpenID Connect: ECAR-WG Technology Spotlight
April 9, 2015
OpenID Connect is an “interoperable authentication protocol based on the OAuth 2.0 family of specifications” —that is, it uses the standardized message flows that OAuth makes available i…
- OAuth: ECAR-WG Technology Spotlight
February 20, 2015
OAuth is a specification that allows a third-party site to obtain information about a user from a second site without requiring the user to provide access credentials to the…
- Identity and Access Management
Identity and Access Management True Identity management r…
- Federated Identity as an Enabler for Education
January 12, 2015
Shel Waggener is Senior Vice President at Internet2. Cloud, cloud everywhere, what's a higher ed CIO to do? We didn't always have all these options. Five years ago, just as…
- Big Data in the Campus Landscape
September 12, 2014
This paper is a publication of the ECAR Campus Cyberinfrastructure (ECAR-CCI) Working Group. The topic of big data continues to receive a great deal of publicity because of its promise for openin…
- Evaluation Criteria for Enterprise Mobility Management Suites
August 11, 2014
Enterprise mobility management (EMM) suites provide multiplatform mobile device management resulting in lower risk and lower cost of ownership. EMM products are evolving to support app, security,…
- IdM: Building Walls while Breaking Down Barriers
August 11, 2014
Key Takeaways Although often viewed as a painful process, implementing identity management (IdM) solutions can actually enhance relationships and collaborations across a …
- The Security Dilemma of Desktop Access to ERP Systems
August 11, 2014
Key Takeaways With information security shifting from the data center to the desktop , organizations must have an aggressive patch-management program — though implementing…
- Advancing Without New Resources
July 14, 2014
The expectations for IT services in higher education will not lessen, and the rate of change will not decelerate. How can the IT organization address these demands without new resources? By ma…
- 7 Things You Should Know About Cloud Storage and Collaboration
May 5, 2014
Higher education has seen a move from consumer-level adoption of cloud services to enterprise deployment of full-scale cloud storage and collaboration platforms. Enterprise services can now o…