Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
Filter by type
Filter by Publications
Filter by Presentations
Filter by Library Taxonomy
- Teaching and Learning [x]
- Learning Environments [x]
- Learning Space (75)
- Collaborative Learning (44)
- Student Engagement and Interaction (44)
- Active Learning (31)
- Instructional Technologies (30)
- Instructional Design (28)
- Blended Learning (26)
- Personalized Learning (25)
- E-Learning (22)
- Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) (21)
- Collaborative Technologies (19)
- Learning Management Systems (LMS) (19)
- Infrastructure and Emerging Technologies (74)
- Information Technology Management and Leadership (70)
- Libraries and Technology (19)
The introduction of information technologies into teaching and learning prompted educators to reexamine the spaces where learning takes place and to design new learning spaces that take fuller advantages of the possibilities that technology offers. The work done on learning spaces has been extremely valuable and serves as the foundation for an expanded look at other factors that affect learning and the context in which learning spaces exist. Those factors include space, but a broader look at the conditions and circumstances of learning reveals that learning is equally influenced by people, by technology and the resources it affords access to, and by the cultural backdrop against which learning takes place. These elements come together in a new, broader discussion of learning environments, which builds on the resources and knowledge generated about learning spaces.
The term learning environment encompasses learning resources and technology, means of teaching, modes of learning, and connections to societal and global contexts. The term also includes human behavioral and cultural dimensions, including the vital role of emotion in learning, and it requires us to examine and sometimes rethink the roles of teachers and students. The focus on information technology in education is expanding from the enhancement of learning spaces to include factors beyond hardware, software, and the network. The learning environment is a composite of human practices and material systems, much as an ecology is the combination of living things and the physical environment.
Articles and Reports
- Bridging the Gap: Building a Learning Environment in the Workplace, ELI paper, February 2014. Workplaces don’t typically look like ideal learning environments. That gap reflects a way of thinking that is being replaced with a vision of workplaces designed to be learning organizations. Closing that gap can be a challenge, however, and this paper describes nine elements of learning and explores how and to what extent they appear in most workplaces.
- The Connected Learning Environment, EDUCAUSE Brief, July 2013. This brief describes three hallmark characteristics of connected learning and provides several examples that illustrate each characteristic.
- Privacy Considerations in Cloud-Based Teaching and Learning Environments, ELI White Paper, November 2010.
- The following EDUCAUSE Quarterly and EDUCAUSE Review themed issues contain various articles on Learning Enviroments;
- EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 33, No. 3, 2010: Learning Environments
- EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 32, No. 4, 2009: Student Engagement
- EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 32, No. 1, 2009: Learning Spaces
- EDUCAUSE Review, Vol 44, No. 2, March/April 2009: Learning Spaces
- EDUCAUSE Review, Vol 40, No 4, July/August 2005: Learning Spaces
- Making the Case for Space: Three Years of Empirical Research on Learning Environments, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 33, No. 3, 2010
- Reflections on Play, Pedagogy, and World of Warcraft, EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 33, No. 3, 2010
- Eight Simple Ways to Embrace the "Froom", EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Vol. 32, No. 4, 2009
- Learning Environments: Where Space, Technology, and Culture Converge, ELI white paper, October 2009
- ELI 7 Things You Should Know About...
- Active Learning Classrooms Pilot Evaluation: Fall 2007 Findings and Recommendations, University of Minnesota, 2007. Report and Web Site
- New Learning Environments for the 21st Century, John Seely Brown, Aspen Symposium 2005
- EDUCAUS Learning Initiative 2010 Annual Meeting, "Learning Environments for a Web 2.0 World"
- EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative 2009 Online Fall Focus Session, "Flattening the Classroom: Building Collaborative Learning Environments"
- EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative 2008 Fall Focus Session, "Revisting Learning Space Design"
Conference Sessions, Videos, and Web Seminars
- The Future of Learning Environments, EDUCAUSE Video, July 2010
- Building Best Practices for Data-Driven Assessment of Technology-Enabled Learning Spaces, ELI Annual Meeting, January 2010.
- Stanford University's Wallenberg Hall: Looking Back, Looking Forward, ELI Annual Meeting, January 2010.
- Clickers and Peer Instruction: A Powerful Way to Improve Student Engagement and Learning, but Only If You Do It Right, ELI Web Seminar, October 05, 2009
- A Space of One's Own: Learning Environments Derived from User-Centered Discovery Techniques, EDUCAUSE Live!, November 21, 2008
- Guidelines for Implementing Authentic Tasks in Web-Based Learning Environments, ELI Web Seminar, November 3, 2008
- Creating Learning Environments that Promote Active Learning, Critical Thinking, Collaborative Learning, and Knowledge Creation, A Solutions in Action Webcast, September 21, 2009
- Powerful But Not a Panacea: Virtual Worlds as a Tool for Situational Learning, ELI Web Seminar, February 19, 2008
- Assessing What Students Learn in Technology-Based Learning Environments, ELI Web Seminar, September 15, 2006
Library Items on this Topic
EDUCAUSE Library Items for Learning Environments
- Partnering to Advance Learning in a Technology-Enhanced World
March 2, 2015
Building environments that afford new, high-impact learning opportunities for tomorrow’s citizens and workforce requires collaborative expertise. Integrating the science of learning into tec…
- 2015 Horizon Report
February 11, 2015
Produced by ELI and NMC each year, the Horizon Report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to…
- Building Community with FLEXspace: The Flexible Learning Environments eXchange
February 23, 2015
Key Takeaways FLEXspace is a large-scale community solution to capture detailed information, images, and video of learning environment exemplars . The ELI Seeking Evidenc…
- Seven Principles for Classroom Design: The Learning Space Rating System
February 23, 2015
Key Takeaways The Learning Space Rating System tool enables scoring a classroom's design to see how well it supports active learning . If the design meets the criter…
- Probing the Inverted Classroom: A Study of Teaching and Learning Outcomes in Engineering and Mathematics
January 16, 2015
Flipped classrooms have started to become commonplace on university campuses. Despite the growing number of flipped courses, however, quantitative information on their effectiveness remains…
- Technology & Change: Perspectives on the Role of Faculty
January 27, 2015
I just got new glasses. It’s amazing what I can see now that I couldn’t see before. I begin here because I am going to advocate that all of higher ed get some new glasses. Because the way …
- Study of Students and Information Technology, 2014
October 30, 2014
For the 2014 student techology use study, ECAR also collaborated with 213 institutions to collect responses from 75,306 undergraduate students about their technology experiences. Key F…
- Learning Environments
Learning Environments True The introduction of informatio…
- Next Generation Digital Learning Environment Initiative
September 17, 2014
Are tools that support teaching and learning keeping up with leading business and consumer tools? What would a next generation digital learning environment look like? Learning environments…
- Creating a Fluid Learning Environment
October 13, 2014
Key Takeaways By 2025, mobile natives — students born after the Apple iPhone went to market — will be entering higher education , bringing with them an era of mobile l…