Conferences & Events
Events for all Levels and InterestsStay
Jump Start Your Career GrowthStay
Get on the Higher Ed IT MapStay
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good™Stay
“[CDS] has been most helpful to compare staffing levels and budgets for the IT organization. We have been able to successfully advocate for additional or reallocated resources, based on the normalized data.”
Senior Director, Office of Information Technology, American University
- How does your spending compare?
- U.S. Median central IT spending per institutional FTE = $925
- U.S. Median central IT spending as a percentage of institutional expenses = 4.4%
- Budgets are increasing, is yours?
58% of institutions had an increase in funding from FY 2010/11 to FY 2012/13 – median increase was +19%
- How does your "running the trains" spending compare?
Non-compensation operating expenditures make up 33% of the budget (U.S. Median)
- How does the size of your IT org compare?
U.S. Median of 7.8 IT staff FTE per 1000 institutional FTEs
- Where are your dollars going?
CIOs who report to the head of the institution (i.e., president) or the top academic officer tended to spend more in support of the teaching and learning mission (42% and 44% respectively) than their peers who report to the top administrative or business officer (36% and 39% respectively).